Turn on thread page Beta

Explaining how to use the word "Touché" watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dj_billz)
    ok.

touche: when someone comes back with a counter argument/comment to a point you have just made, and you agree that that counter argument/point was of a high quality and relavance. THERE YA GO
    well done! good explanation for something that's almost unexplainable...

ReputationRep:
    Dictionary definition: -

Used to acknowledge a hit in fencing or a successful criticism or an effective point in argument.

ReputationRep:
    Such a good word to use. My understanding of it comes from the Simpsons. A good example is where Homer and Bart are about to go off on some adventure:

Homer says to Bart "Shouldn't you be at school?"
    Bart replies "Shouln't you be at work?"
    And Homer says "Ah, touche"

ReputationRep:
    Touché is like owned or pwned on the internet with the difference that you say touché about yourself (ie. 'touché' = 'Well, I got pwned').

ReputationRep:
    touchy?

ReputationRep:
    Nope, it's not a counter to what someone says. You say it when you make a voluntary/involuntary explicit/implict verbal attack on someone and you've hit them in their pride.

It comes from Fencing, a very french sport :p: and it's been adopted in American English.

I'd recommend not trying to use some expression you heard in some crappy American film unless you actually understand it :p: and even if you do, it still sounds rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    Basically soemone says something to you like an insult you reply with a witty comeback they can say Touche or if you are having a disagreement and you display your side of the argument really well with proof that you are right they can say Touche. It kinda means like fair play or you win.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhivago)
    Ooh..that's a tough one actually. I hate it when words and meanings are really hard to explain. I'd get it from your description though. I was trying to explain to my friends the other day about the American word, "period". ie. when they say something, followed by the word, "period". It was really difficult!
    It just means full stop doesn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    Nope, it's not a counter to what someone says. You say it when you make a voluntary/involuntary explicit/implict verbal attack on someone and you've hit them in their pride.

It comes from Fencing, a very french sport :p: and it's been adopted in American English.

I'd recommend not trying to use some expression you heard in some crappy American film unless you actually understand it :p: and even if you do, it still sounds rubbish.
    Noone said it was a counter to what someone says, they said it was in repsponse to a counter!

ReputationRep:
    Touche startd as a fencing phrase. If you admitted a hit on you, you said "touche", meaning touch, thus the opponent scored a point

Thus its used nowadays if someone makes a good counter arguement. You admit "touche" if their conter point is a good un...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allisandro)
    Noone said it was a counter to what someone says, they said it was in repsponse to a counter!
    But it isn't necessarily a response to a counter. It's just a response to any criticism or verbal attack or any point of argument.

You shouldn't be trying to use it anyway. It's American English.

ReputationRep:
    tou·ché
    interj.

Used to acknowledge a hit in fencing or a successful criticism or an effective point in argument.

ReputationRep:
    ^^
    pretty much what i said

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR_JR)
    ^^
    pretty much what i said
    yes except for the counter bit. Not necessarily about countering. You can just criticise someone without it being a counter.

- "You're the fattest yank I've ever seen. You should be on a treadmill but there you are eating 10 donuts"
    - "Touché"

It just means "you got me", simple.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 12, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.