Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody got any ideas on the 'true' motions of Mr Bush who has US oil policy so close to his heart.

It's hard to see Mr Bush passing down a glorius opportunities to sound out American policies to secure oil in the middle east i.e for or against any policies what the Americans might be proposing.

Could the London bombing be a warning?

ReputationRep:
    If terrorists wanted to get revenge on President Bush and US Oil policies, I don't see why they'd attack London. There's no clear link.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if it's just cause I'm tired.. but what? For some reason, I can't make any sense of your original post.. maybe I'll try again in the morning.

ReputationRep:
    No, It isnt you TM I cant make sense of the original post either! Ah well!

ReputationRep:
    Actually my real question is: Is George Bush's real intentions with the G8 to sound out off the record Americas future plans, to secure Americas dependancy on Middle Eastern oil.

I would be very surprised to think that president Bush would miss such a glorious opportunity having such a collection of world leaders in one place in this point in time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prad)
    If terrorists wanted to get revenge on President Bush and US Oil policies, I don't see why they'd attack London. There's no clear link.
    Because they're wicked inhuman lunatics and they don't care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)
    Because they're wicked inhuman lunatics and they don't care.
    That's a given. And as liberal as I may be, I'd still pull the trigger.

But I still don't understand how the question of Oil is supposed to relate to Britain being the victim of a cowardly act..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prad)
    That's a given. And as liberal as I may be, I'd still pull the trigger.

But I still don't understand how the question of Oil is supposed to relate to Britain being the victim of a cowardly act..
    They just want attention. And they're crazy. The problem is, we don't really know what it's related to, so all it's done is piss people off. If we knew what it was about, we'd know who to attack.

ReputationRep:
    I was suggesting, the people who have done this, as a warning to Tony Blair who may go along with any of George Bush's future plans, founded or unfounded?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)
    They just want attention. And they're crazy. The problem is, we don't really know what it's related to, so all it's done is piss people off. If we knew what it was about, we'd know who to attack.

I think Prad asked his original question as he doesn't get what oil has to do with the bombings...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dogtanian)
    I think Prad asked his original question as he doesn't get what oil has to do with the bombings...
    Yeah but it's late - nobody's understanding anything at this hour.. I'm pretty sure I was debating bagels a few minutes ago.. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JellyBellyBaby)
    I was suggesting, the people who have done this, as a warning to Tony Blair who may go along with any of George Bush's future plans, founded or unfounded?
    I think the War in Iraq and support for the US probably made Britain a target, rather than the oil policies..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prad)
    Yeah but it's late - nobody's understanding anything at this hour.. I'm pretty sure I was debating bagels a few minutes ago.. :confused:

Very good point.

I should say something debatey...

:/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dogtanian)
    Very good point.

I should say something debatey...

:/
    Go for it..

I for one think this thread will probably end up going off-topic and being moved/deleted by a mod very soon as nobody seems to understand the original post and everyone's confused as to what they're supposed to be debating about..

But yeah - bagels..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prad)
    I think the War in Iraq and support for the US probably made Britain a target, rather than the oil policies..
    Probably those played a part, but it seems to me that the reasons that we were attacked were because Britain is a powerful country in the world (OK, not as powerful as the US, but still powerful) and because we are one of the major Western countries. And you could have those who are still pissed off that we used to rule their countries and who still see the black hand of British Imperialism behind every act...

But I think that, due to the reasons above, even if we hadn't gone into Iraq we would still have been bombed on Thursday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Waddell)
    But I think that, due to the reasons above, even if we hadn't gone into Iraq we would still have been bombed on Thursday.
    Denamrk and Italy were both also threatened with attacks in a statement released by one of the groups who say they carried out the attack. Both countries played a role a Iraq; yet France and Germany don't seem to get threats..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prad)
    Denamrk and Italy were both also threatened with attacks in a statement released by one of the groups who say they carried out the attack. Both countries played a role a Iraq; yet France and Germany don't seem to get threats..?
    The French police have uncovered many bomb plots, and I suspect that they may be subject to an attack sooner or later. Same for Germany. But Britain is actually more powerful in the world than those two countries, and also London is much more at the economic centre of the world than Paris or Berlin. It is home to the world's greatest financial market.

As for Al Quada, I don't believe that it cares at all about the plight of Iraq. It merely wants to use it to get at the West. And even if we hadn't invaded Iraq, Al Quada would find another reason to get at us.

ReputationRep:
    The French police have uncovered many bomb plots, and I suspect that they may be subject to an attack sooner or later. Same for Germany. But Britain is actually more powerful in the world than those two countries, and also London is much more at the economic centre of the world than Paris or Berlin. It is home to the world's greatest financial market.

As for Al Quada, I don't believe that it cares at all about the plight of Iraq. It merely wants to use it to get at the West. And even if we hadn't invaded Iraq, Al Quada would find another reason to get at us.
    It's a sad world we live in..

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that such a hypothetical statement should be professed with such certainty until the identity of the perpetrator and the cause of the bombing can be completely ascertained.

Nevertheless, the increasing number of threats to our society from terrorists and extremist groups cannot be seen as an independent event of hatred. Despite the belief of many of these extremists that it is their duty to exterminate 'infidels', the (primarily Christian / aetheist) West and the (mainly Muslim) Middle East have never really held the level of hatred, and the consequental terrorism and wars that have emerged as a result, that is enshrined towards the other until recent years. One cannot presume that aggressive Western influence in the affairs of Middle Eastern countries is an irrelevancy that has not contributed to these spiralling terrorist attacks, but one must realise that it is in response to these attacks that the terrorists act. When the terrorists attacked the Twin Towers in New York, Bush responded by invading Afghanistan. When the USA, with its blind coalition, invaded Iraq, an inevitable consequence would be a violent backlash from Iraqis and Muslims against the nations that attacked them. In no terms am I trying to justify the murder of innocent people in London or the terrorists motives, but the abhorrence of this act cannot be seen without examining its wider context, in which thousands of innocent Iraqis have been mowed down remorselessly by British troops as part of their 'liberation' of Iraq.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 10, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.