Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I can't do it... for over 10 minutes :p: but yeah why do people complain about oh you should sit up straight, what good does it do exactly? and how straight is straight?

ReputationRep:
    at 90 degrees to what you are sat on.
    Sittingup straight doesnt ut undue strain on your back, hunching can cause you to slouch later in life (AFAIK). Wait for a med student to reply.

ReputationRep:
    Sitting up straight helps your spine. It also helps work your abs - think of it as a bit of a toning exercise. I believe slouching also gives headaches.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)
    I believe slouching also gives headaches.
    Really? Huh....that could explain a lot. Why though?

ReputationRep:
    Ok I'm sitting at 90° now and it's absolutely killing me, do you have to not be leaning on anything ? or can you lean back as long as you're still at 90°?

ReputationRep:
    keeps ur back nice and comfy when ur older. looks better too.

used to be able to do it really well. then i started rowing........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HearTheThunder)
    Ok I'm sitting at 90° now and it's absolutely killing me, do you have to not be leaning on anything ? or can you lean back as long as you're still at 90°?
    u need back muscles. get some quick. :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gexko)
    u need back muscles. get some quick. :P
    *falls over*

ReputationRep:
    I physically can't slouch. I sit bolt upright. I've had 15 vertebrae fused with three rods

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to be poker-straight-at-90-degrees - but you basically need to line up your vertebrae. The point is that by having them at all different angles you create pressure points and damage your bone structure meaning that later in life you HAVE to slouch :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeCool_Lemming)
    Your head doesn't actually have many nerve endings in it. Most head pain is merely misplaced by your brain and is actually coming from your back and neck.

But yes, most importantly, slouching is unattractive and ungentlemanly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HearTheThunder)
    I can't do it... for over 10 minutes :p:
    Take up the cello - you have to keep your back straight whilst playing... :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LibertineNorth)
    Your head doesn't actually have many nerve endings in it. Most head pain is merely misplaced by your brain and is actually coming from your back and neck.

But yes, most importantly, slouching is unattractive and ungentlemanly.

Well, I'm a girl so I would imagine I'd be ungentlemanly anyway :p:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by silverjonny)
    I physically can't slouch. I sit bolt upright. I've had 15 vertebrae fused with three rods
    Wow, my sister had something similar! But hers went wrong. And she's gotta have it all taken out soon

ReputationRep:
    Did she have scoliosis? Complications of fusion surgery are really rare, but I had them too...the hooks pulled the back off a vertebra and I had to have it all redone in March and then got a wound infection

ReputationRep:
    Did she have scoliosis? Complications of fusion surgery are really rare, but I had them too...the hooks pulled the back off a vertebra and I had to have it all redone in March and then got a wound infection

ouch that sounds really painful hope u are ok and i wish juno's sister all the best xoxo

ReputationRep:
    Sitting up straight with your shoulders back gives an aura of confidence, it's difficult just keep reminding yourself

ReputationRep:
    My dad always nags me to sit up, but I swear I look so stupid when sitting up straight
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Yeah, she had an S shaped curve and it was getting worse v quickly. She had so many problems I can't remember them all, but in summary she had a hole in her spinal cord, meningitis, had to have the metal work taken out and redone, and now her screws are sticking out so it's got to be all taken out.

Hope you're OK now anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeCool_Lemming)
    I'm not sure. Medics?? I think it's because of the strain on the muscles. You know when you get tension headaches in your forehead, it's cos the muscles at the back of your neck are all tense? Could be something like that.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 12, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.