Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I recently got my results and it was very good grades and I'm going to SOAS, but not like LSE or UCL...
    I did applied for LSE and UCL but they rejected me cos my GCSE results were crap.

So my question is: Is it possible to reapply to LSE and UCL for next year while going SOAS?

or should i go through clearing this year? but this seems quite risky...

advise plz...

ReputationRep:
    I was rejected from the Lse and oxford and have received really excellent results that could allow me to apply again and possibly receive a place but then I'm happy about my place at ucl and if I get a 2.1 or 1st I'm sure there will be no problem to go anywhere or do a Masters degree.
    You risk being rejected anew, and if you did get a place, would start again the same thing. Is it really worth it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jump)
    LSE and UCL won't be up for Clearing (for most courses at least).

What subject are you applying for and what grades did you achieve?
    Economics. According to UCAS site, 39points (out of 45) is required to get in UCL and I got 43 which is really good grade...

ReputationRep:
    But is it possible to repply next year while going to SOAS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matthieum)
    I was rejected from the Lse and oxford and have received really excellent results that could allow me to apply again and possibly receive a place but then I'm happy about my place at ucl and if I get a 2.1 or 1st I'm sure there will be no problem to go anywhere or do a Masters degree.
    You risk being rejected anew, and if you did get a place, would start again the same thing. Is it really worth it?
    No offence but you shouldn't convince yourself that it's much easier to get into Oxbridge etc. for postgrad work - it's still very hard to get in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shaker007)
    But is it possible to repply next year while going to SOAS?
    Yes. However, the university you are applying to will want to know why you're planning on dropping out. When I dropped out last year, a couple of the universities I applied to asked for a tutor reference from my university before accepting me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shaker007)
    I did applied for LSE and UCL but they rejected me cos my GCSE results were crap.
    The question is, which course did you apply for? (Economics?) and what were your GCSEs like? Most people think they have 'crap' GCSEs when in fact they're not. I'm guessing you didn't acheive an accolade of A*s, but that doesn't mean your application would have been rejected on this basis. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    If you weren't accepted at the lse and ucl, wouldn't it look bad at the soas, you tried to leave but weren't accepted anywhere better :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xanthe)
    The question is, which course did you apply for? (Economics?) and what were your GCSEs like? :cool:
    I applied for economics.

And about my GCSEs, I only got A* in Germany and A for Maths. The rest including economics was all B, except English HL which I got C. Well, I think at that time, I had problems on English...

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting to doubt aswell now :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matthieum)
    I'm starting to doubt aswell now :confused:
    Well, past is past isnt it? I admit that I used to be crap... but now I think what I got in the end was excellent.
    I have been thinking for a long time that UCAS system is kinda unfair for those who were rejected from good uni because of getting crappy results in the past but now got excellent results...

ReputationRep:
    You can apply, make sure you tell SOAS when you go though. GCSEs are not everything however, for LSE they are very fussy about GCSEs so i doubt you would get in even if you did well at SOAS. Not sure about ucl's economics department, but i had crap gcses and had good reasons for them and got accepted for a different course. Have you got a good reason for getting them gcses or did you try your hardest? [not saying your gcses are crap, they are quite good!]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magicalsausage)
    No offence but you shouldn't convince yourself that it's much easier to get into Oxbridge etc. for postgrad work - it's still very hard to get in.
    It's much harder. My D.Phil was something like 120 applicants for the 1 place. Compare that to somewhere between 1.5 and 8 (depending on subject) to 1 for an undergrad place!

ReputationRep:
    You probably do have a better chance than if applying for an undergrad degree though with increased confidence, and experience of academia and greater knowledge of the subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evil Muffin)
    You probably do have a better chance than if applying for an undergrad degree though with increased confidence, and experience of academia and greater knowledge of the subject.

Along with all the other applicants...

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 11, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.