Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I am wondering what I should include for the Cambridge PS. MY draft is a little skimpy now but hey! it's just a draft. Anyway, should I write about cambridge in general or make specific references to the college I am applying to?? What are the usual things people write in it?

ReputationRep:
    i dont think its a good idea to write about the university you want to go too,

in mine i have done

why that subject
    work experience
    my further interest
    ending

and i have included extra curricular activities where relevant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lifter_gav)
    i dont think its a good idea to write about the university you want to go too,

in mine i have done

why that subject
    work experience
    my further interest
    ending

and i have included extra curricular activities where relevant
    no no... i didn't write the uni on the ucas personal statement. i mean on the cambridge application form.

i am wondering if i should include why i would want to study in a specific cambridge college.

ReputationRep:
    There's a statistic somewhere that the Oxford tutors once agreed something like 90% of people write in the extra box and 90% of those people shouldn't have bothered...
    Don't write in it for the sake of writing in it - it's just not worth it

Basically you just want to say why it's so important to go to Cambridge
    So what you say is something like that you are a very intense and ambitious student and while you feel that you will be very successful wherever you go, you feel that the intense atmosphere of Cambridge, with the ... (are they called supervisions at Cambridge?) anyway with all that lot will help you to achieve your full potential

Only better written cos it's 10:30 on a sunday morning and i cant think in straight lines

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    There's a statistic somewhere that the Oxford tutors once agreed something like 90% of people write in the extra box and 90% of those people shouldn't have bothered...
    Don't write in it for the sake of writing in it - it's just not worth it

Basically you just want to say why it's so important to go to Cambridge
    So what you say is something like that you are a very intense and ambitious student and while you feel that you will be very successful wherever you go, you feel that the intense atmosphere of Cambridge, with the ... (are they called supervisions at Cambridge?) anyway with all that lot will help you to achieve your full potential

Only better written cos it's 10:30 on a sunday morning and i cant think in straight lines
    well. isn't that what most people write? no? haha. i wrote something similar i guess w/o refering to the college i am applying to.

ReputationRep:
    i got really stressed about that because i'd decided not to bother then our head of sixth rang us up the day before we sent it and told us that we should fill it in, except i didn't get the message, so the other 3 from my school had and i hadn't - then i got even more stressed than i already was, which is quite some feat. But to be honest i don't think i had anything of great value to add, and it can't have made too much difference. If you have nothing specific to cambridge that's really important, don't just ramble on about how great it is etc, just leave it.

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking of leaving it...but wondered if this looked lazy at all! I have stuff I think I should write it there but in the end, what you write there won't make that much of a difference, unlike the interview!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by groovy_moose)
    i got really stressed about that because i'd decided not to bother then our head of sixth rang us up the day before we sent it and told us that we should fill it in, except i didn't get the message, so the other 3 from my school had and i hadn't - then i got even more stressed than i already was, which is quite some feat. But to be honest i don't think i had anything of great value to add, and it can't have made too much difference. If you have nothing specific to cambridge that's really important, don't just ramble on about how great it is etc, just leave it.
    what would qualify as really important? Then they should completely eliminate this section, no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leannemann)
    I was thinking of leaving it...but wondered if this looked lazy at all! I have stuff I think I should write it there but in the end, what you write there won't make that much of a difference, unlike the interview!
    yea. i was thinking the same way. i don't want to look lazy and it doesn't hurt to tell them how much you love cambridge either.

ReputationRep:
    I love the course, I love the place but then I wouldn't be applying if i didn't. Will probably write something in the end, even if it's because I've been advised to. They probably don't pay much attention to it, or maybe they do - it's difficult trying to predict anything!

ReputationRep:
    I love the course, I love the place but then I wouldn't be applying if i didn't. Will probably write something in the end, even if it's because I've been advised to. They probably don't pay much attention to it, or maybe they do - it's difficult trying to predict anything!
    Which college are you applying to? To read what?

ReputationRep:
    Girton to read MML (French & Spanish). I stayed overnight at Trinity Hall and it was way too noisy for me so that put me off going central. Also, i was limited to about 3-5 colleges as they favour literature over linguistics and I might want to do linguistics. Loved Girton, beautiful college, great facilities. Just seemed like the place for me. How about you?

ReputationRep:
    Girton to read MML (French & Spanish). I stayed overnight at Trinity Hall and it was way too noisy for me so that put me off going central. Also, i was limited to about 3-5 colleges as they favour literature over linguistics and I might want to do linguistics. Loved Girton, beautiful college, great facilities. Just seemed like the place for me. How about you?
    You mean people make a din at night? Couldn't you like go and chuck at bottle at them or something? lol. Natsci (bio). Probably at pembroke.

ReputationRep:
    I wrote (for Oxford) why I thought the Oxford course was best for me and what I liked about the college. I don't think it makes much difference though, I only filled it in because I'd antagonised my head of sixth form enough for that day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madelyn)
    I wrote (for Oxford) why I thought the Oxford course was best for me and what I liked about the college. I don't think it makes much difference though, I only filled it in because I'd antagonised my head of sixth form enough for that day.
    May I enquire how the british education system is structured? Since the first day you enter school and the exams you take and all that.

ReputationRep:
    I was tempted to throw something at them...or to tell them to get stuffed in my best French

ReputationRep:
    I was tempted to throw something at them...or to tell them to get stuffed in my best French
    I see... lol. do you use msn?

ReputationRep:
    yes, im on it now!

ReputationRep:
    yes, im on it now!
    I have a proposition. It's interesting to talk to you, but it's real slow here. Mind giving me your msn contact? PM me if you agree.

ReputationRep:
    On my cam form i wrote literally 2 sentences, about why cambridge and why the college i applied to. If you do write something, make short and sweet and to the point. If you find you are repeating stuff from your UCAS PS, then don't bother. Only write something meaningful,and related to the college/stlye of teaching at cam.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.