Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    wat is the difference between standard and higher language, we had an induction day for IB the other day an the person said they just mark harder if it is a higher level (he was talking about French) how well can a person speak a language at the end of a standard level language course? are they pretty much fluent or if you want fluency is it necessary to do higher level?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andy_cole2)
    wat is the difference between standard and higher language, we had an induction day for IB the other day an the person said they just mark harder if it is a higher level (he was talking about French) how well can a person speak a language at the end of a standard level language course? are they pretty much fluent or if you want fluency is it necessary to do higher level?
    depends on how the school teaches it. At my school, higher level and standard level languages are given the same length of teaching time...which is a bit dodgy...and i would say higher level is a lot harder for a language B (especially the essay topics for the exams). All the people who are taking a language B at a higher level has some background in it or have been on exchange to france. at the end of a standard level course, the fluency depends on the language. In the Chinese class, the students who have no background are no where near fluent. in the French class, I think the students are much more fluent, but still not totally.

ReputationRep:
    i'm doing french HL - on my last report (end of IB1) I got a 7 - and i'm far from being fluent...

ReputationRep:
    if its a language on B or A2 level, they will mark you harder.

if on A1 level, its just more work but not neccessarily marked harder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by needsomehelp)
    ...if on A1 level, its just more work but not neccessarily marked harder.
    The assessment criteria for exam papers and IA are different for HL and SL = "marked harder"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by needsomehelp)
    if its a language on B or A2 level, they will mark you harder.

if on A1 level, its just more work but not neccessarily marked harder.
    In the A1 languages, for example, for higher level you have to submit two world literature essays, each being 10% of your final grade, while for standard level you submit one being worth 20%. The exams are very similar, although it is said that the passages are easier on the standard papers for paper 1, eg there is more to say about them. You also get guiding questions. Paper 2 is nearly identical. Just that standard level students have 90 minutes instead of 120 on both papers to write very similar essays. The only difference is that at standard level you're not expected to write as much about literary features and stylistic elements, our teacher said... In that regard, many people say that higher is easier - nearly same marking, but more time. I think it is similar for A2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freaker)
    The only difference is that at standard level you're not expected to write as much about literary features and stylistic elements, our teacher said... In that regard, many people say that higher is easier - nearly same marking, but more time. I think it is similar for A2.
    I've looked over past papers both for SL and HL. Thing is, both P1 passages and P2 essay topics are way easier (more substantial) for SL than for HL. At least that's the case for Swedish, and I guess it should be the same for other languages as well.

However, it is arguably so that the difference between HL and SL is a lot smaller than, say, Biology. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Monii)
    i'm doing french HL - on my last report (end of IB1) I got a 7 - and i'm far from being fluent...
    I'm going into my final year of IB in september, i'm also far from fluent in French B HL, but i also got a 7 in my mock. I also do german B HL but it is soo much harder. If anyone is trying to choose between French or German as their language, do French cos its sooo much easier!!

ReputationRep:
    I do HL French (Language B) and SL Spanish (also Language B) - the main difference is really that HL papers are marked according to a stricter criteria, like you have to be much more accurate in your writing (such as in grammar) and know more vocabulary. You won't be fluent in either SL or HL language, unless you already have some kind of background in it (like you're French or something).

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.