Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2 + 2 = 5)
    The Big Bang and evolution theory seems to have rather a lot of evidence going for it, but that does not necessarily contradict theism altogether. If, in the beginning something exploded, one has to ask what put it there in the first place.
    The big bang and evolution are completely separate and have no connection whatsoever with one another.

ReputationRep:
    For the evolution of the eye see: http://www.origins.tv/darwin/eyes/htm

ReputationRep:
    i disagree with the theory of evolution. i think you make a big leap of faith when you say that you believe a god exists, but its not right to then say that gods creation is not perfect.

i think you can either look at it from a religious point of view or not. btw what exactly did charles darwin say

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2 + 2 = 5)
    A funny thing I thought one late, drunk night. If man evolved from single-celled organisms, then who the hell invented the eyeball?

I mean, it's not like an animal will be created with a one of them fully installed: it'd be one hell of a mutation, put it that way. But at the same time, why would an animal with a quarter/half an eyeball survive and reproduce more than any other? Don't take this seriously, though, I wasn't really thinking straight at the time.
    there are several different types of eyes that have evolved. epifaunal trilobites had the first "eyes" (they aren't eyes as we know it). these were common place in the cambrian to the silurian. once life became less sessile, sight is an obvious requirement! you have to remember that it took around 3.2Ga to get this far. that's a bloody long time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darth_vader05)
    i disagree with the theory of evolution. i think you make a big leap of faith when you say that you believe a god exists, but its not right to then say that gods creation is not perfect.
    how can you disagree when there is proof in all the fossils?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)
    how can you disagree when there is proof in all the fossils?
    do you believe that you evolved from a monkey???

ReputationRep:
    No, but I believe that I shared an ancestor with modern day monkeys. Meh, close enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speleo)
    No, but I believe that I shared an ancestor with modern day monkeys. Meh, close enough.
    was it darwin who said the theory of evolution??? and who the heck was he??

ReputationRep:
    was it darwin who said the theory of evolution??? and who the heck was he??
    http://talkorigins.org

ReputationRep:
    ...btw what exactly did charles darwin say
    He said that YOU use to be a monkeh :p:

ReputationRep:
    The theory of evolution does not say that human beings evolved from monkeys. Get your facts right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HammaL)
    He said that YOU use to be a monkeh :p:
    ahhh- mebe that explains the funny noises that come from my mouth which i cant explain

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kew96158)
    The theory of evolution does not say that human beings evolved from monkeys. Get your facts right.
    what does it say then?

ReputationRep:
    what does it say then?
    Well, the relevant bit of it says that millions of years ago, we shared a single ancestor. That's how come human beings are primates, just as monkeys and apes are.

ReputationRep:
    No don't be silly :rolleyes:

Switch off now if you don't like paleobiology.
    We are closely related to apes, most of all chimpanzees. Sometime in the miocene (20-30Ma), there was lots of apes, but then the fossil record disappears until around 6-7Ma, when there were hominids in what is now Africa. Earliest examples are the Sahelanthropus, then we get australopithecus. It's from A.africanus that Homo erose: H.habilis -> H erectus -> homo sapiens. This sequence is linked to an increase in brain size, and of course from the earlier hominids we got other species breaking off and evolving differently - this is where the monkeys come from.

So yes, we shared a common ancestor. Over 7Ma though.

Btw, in case anyone is confused, we are not descended from Neandertals. They co-existed with our ancestors until around 30000 years ago.

ReputationRep:
    Just out of interest, what are the scientific argument for creationism, because whenever I try to find some they just seem to be arguments explaining why evolution is only a myth, but dont actually show that "intelligent design" is actually the true alternative.

ReputationRep:
    Just out of interest, what are the scientific argument for creationism, because whenever I try to find some they just seem to be arguments explaining why evolution is only a myth, but dont actually show that "intelligent design" is actually the true alternative.
    There are absolutely zero pieces of evidence supporting creationism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speleo)
    There are absolutely zero pieces of evidence supporting creationism.
    That's what I was inclined to think...

New Scientist had an interesting article on this a week back, if anyone else read it. The first bit is here: http://www.newscientist.com/channel/being-human/dn7647

ReputationRep:
    what does it say then?
    14 billion years ago the big bang happened. For the first few millionths of a second everything in the universe was monkeys, and then some of these monkeys evolved into atoms, like hydrogen, and other monkeys evolved into planets, and some of them even evolved into people. This is what evolution really says.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    Note that the scientists (the ones who study the fossil record and the past etc) support evolution. We're not a particularly intelligent design in some respects.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.