Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    for any more Darwin critics... one the biggest argument against his theory which no-one mentioned is that people didn't believe that a complex organ like an eye could have evolved. Thus needed a higher power in order to create such a complex organ.

However, Darwin managed to prove how an eye developed using intermediate structures present in order organisms and therefore proved that evolution of an eye is entirely possible. This is an amazing achievement bearing in mind the time and the work it must have to entail to make these discoveries.

I think he diserves respect for his achievements and even if religious people dont share his believes it doesn't matter really because he managed to convince vertually the entire scientific establishment, which initially was highly sceptical, that his theory is fact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revenged)
    for any more Darwin critics... one the biggest argument against his theory which no-one mentioned is that people didn't believe that a complex organ like an eye could have evolved. Thus needed a higher power in order to create such a complex organ.

However, Darwin managed to prove how an eye developed using intermediate structures present in order organisms and therefore proved that evolution of an eye is entirely possible. This is an amazing achievement bearing in mind the time and the work it must have to entail to make these discoveries.

I think he diserves respect for his achievements and even if religious people dont share his believes it doesn't matter really because he managed to convince vertually the entire scientific establishment, which initially was highly sceptical, that his theory is fact.
    His theory is one of the most, if not the most, beautiful theory I have ever encountered. It's just beautiful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ferret_messiah)
    14 billion years ago the big bang happened. For the first few millionths of a second everything in the universe was monkeys, and then some of these monkeys evolved into atoms, like hydrogen, and other monkeys evolved into planets, and some of them even evolved into people. This is what evolution really says.
    am i supposed to keep a straigt face whilst reading this :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    lol,

does raise the important question (whilst badly taking the p*** out of the beautiful theory of evolution) of what was there before the bigbang... does anyone really know?

ReputationRep:
    lol,

does raise the important question (whilst badly taking the p*** out of the beautiful theory of evolution) of what was there before the bigbang... does anyone really know?
    how would it even be remotely possible to know? unless you can tranverse through time to that moment which has yet to be fixed. It is NOT possible to know what happen and whatever we postulate are just but theories.

ReputationRep:
    what is the thoery though... because you can't create something out of nothing. There must have been some form of energy that was converted into matter in the big bang because you can't create energy after all.

Though Big Bang I accept as fact due to the microwave background radiation, I just find it difficult to conceive what was before and what would have caused the Big Bang.

ReputationRep:
    Time didnt exist before the big bang.
    therefore nothing happened before the big bang.

get your round that.

ReputationRep:
    what is the thoery though... because you can't create something out of nothing. There must have been some form of energy that was converted into matter in the big bang because you can't create energy after all.

Though Big Bang I accept as fact due to the microwave background radiation, I just find it difficult to conceive what was before and what would have caused the Big Bang.
    Then we just have to assume the presence of a higher being, no? We can't possibly know all these and assumptions will have to do, for now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phonicsdude)

get your round that.
    So where did time come from? Thin air? or Thick ear (as BFG would say)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soonalvin)
    Then we just have to assume the presence of a higher being, no? We can't possibly know all these and assumptions will have to do, for now.
    we dont know what happened, therefore somebody created the earth.

a non sequitur.

Actually Im bored of repeating the ensuing argument over and over again.

Stop being dense.

ReputationRep:
    That's very polite of you. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaf1986)
    So where did time come from? Thin air? or Thick ear (as BFG would say)?
    the point is, the theory is imperfect.
    but this does not mean that God exists.

Religion says god is the answer.
    Science is more open-minded and is more flexible than religion...

ReputationRep:
    That's very polite of you. Thank you.
    Sorry!

ReputationRep:

Religion says god is the answer.
    Science is more open-minded and is more flexible than religion...
    Note that I am an atheist. I am not saying that God is the answer. There's no explanation to this now. We don't and won't know anything. This is one of the limits of science.

ReputationRep:

get your round that.
    that just sounds like a scientific conclusion to explain something that we know nothing about (similiar to god being used to explain something we know nothing about)

it doesnt make sense... though I'm not saying there is a higher being, i'm just saying for all we know there may be Big Bangs every few trillion years and it's just a repeating cycle that has always been

ReputationRep:
    Note that I am an atheist. I am not saying that God is the answer. There's no explanation to this now. We don't and won't know anything. This is one of the limits of science.
    I totally agree

Great minds think alike

ReputationRep:
    that just sounds like a scientific conclusion to explain something that we know nothing about (similiar to god being used to explain something we know nothing about)

it doesnt make sense... though I'm not saying there is a higher being, i'm just saying for all we know there may be Big Bangs every few trillion years and it's just a repeating cycle that has always been
    that may be true but it will be beyond our lifetime to find out. unless some remnants from this event in the form EM waves is still propagating through space. Then perhaps the only time man will know whether this true, is at the moment of the big crunch, but that'll probably be long after our sun turns supernova.

ReputationRep:
    lol, perhaps... but i think that as we've never really learn what happens in a single atom the chances of finding out what happens in the universe and what happened before the Big Bang are minimal. Though in the end, it may never really fully be understood

ReputationRep:
    I didn't infer that. It does however suggest to a creator, a higher being. Whether or not you call it God is a moot point.

ReputationRep:
    for any more Darwin critics... one the biggest argument against his theory which no-one mentioned is that people didn't believe that a complex organ like an eye could have evolved. Thus needed a higher power in order to create such a complex organ..
    The eye argument is a complete joke and is completely and utterly destroyed by the very basic biology studied at the start of a degree.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.