Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kollarrunt)
    So is the A level grades the one you get before you start uni?
    Then what does AAA* mean how many As can you have (how many grades do you get)

And then ramroff is IB the only sector in economic where you get really higly paid?
    And is the competition really that strong? IB seems to be really lucrative
    In England you take 3 subjects in your third year, so AAA would mean that one got As in all of their subjects. I suppose * could mean distinction but that is very uncommon in A-levels. Their are cases when people have 7 A-levels or even more I think but the common is 3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ponjavic)
    Then you'd be a prostitute and not a bloody economist
    and you would be a bloody fool and not an intelligent person to realise money plays a significant part in most people's choices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ramroff)
    and you would be a bloody fool and not an intelligent person to realise money plays a significant part in most people's choices.
    Of course, but you're stating it's all about the money.

"It's not all about the money you know."

"Yes it is."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ramroff)
    LOL do you even like economics? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah money plays a part.
    Ok your system is kind of like our.

In gymnasium (3 years you study before uni) you have
    Pass with special distinction
    Pass with distinction
    Pass
    Fail

Then you make a uni test where you can get the score of 0 to 200 where 200 is the best. If my points would be worth as much in britain I would be pretty well of. Oh well. Lets continue talking about economic vs. engineering

I think that the economic sector is more competative than the engineering (after reading about IB) am i right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shyopstv)
    LOL do you even like economics? :rolleyes:
    i love it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kollarrunt)
    Yeah money plays a part.
    Ok your system is kind of like our.

In gymnasium (3 years you study before uni) you have
    Pass with special distinction
    Pass with distinction
    Pass
    Fail

Then you make a uni test where you can get the score of 0 to 200 where 200 is the best. If my points would be worth as much in britain I would be pretty well of. Oh well. Lets continue talking about economic vs. engineering

I think that the economic sector is more competative than the engineering (after reading about IB) am i right?
    True, on one account due to the fact that there is a bigger demand for engineers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ponjavic)
    True, on one account due to the fact that there is a bigger demand for engineers
    how does that make sense?

ReputationRep:
    Supply and demand - I thought you'd know about that being an economist. More demand for engineers + too few engineering graduates = Less competition for jobs.

ReputationRep:
    sorry i completely misread him.

ReputationRep:
    ramroff do urself a favour and leave this discussion...ur making a fool out of urself...:laugh:

ReputationRep:
    so are you.

ReputationRep:
    You need to go to a G5 uni and maybe bristol to get big money with a 2:1 1st in economics. People go on about warwick, but a few firms my friend talked to.. they all preferred G5 unis.

As an average, if you count all the unis with economics courses say something like kingston/greenwhich [if they have it] them unis bring down the average salary of an economist by far. That's why engineers earn more on average.

At the start of an engineer's salary they will be generally earning peanuts untill they get chartered and have experience => big money.

ReputationRep:
    BTW, whats a g5 uni?

I'm guessing oxford, cambridge, lse.... what else?

So is bristol considered to be not a g5 uni? but the next best out there? That seems to be what your implying.

ReputationRep:
    G5 = Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, Imperial, UCL

Although i'm not sure if imperial does a straight economics degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nas7232)
    You need to go to a G5 uni and maybe bristol to get big money with a 2:1 1st in economics. People go on about warwick, but a few firms my friend talked to.. they all preferred G5 unis.

As an average, if you count all the unis with economics courses say something like kingston/greenwhich [if they have it] them unis bring down the average salary of an economist by far. That's why engineers earn more on average.

At the start of an engineer's salary they will be generally earning peanuts untill they get chartered and have experience => big money.
    Nottingham and Warwick are respected, regarded and recruited from by IBs.

ReputationRep:
    Yes...

But there aren't many who are recruited as a whole.

Majority come from the G5 then some from other reputable universities e.g warwick,bristol.

Engineers are recruited not just from G5 universities... and those that go to poorer universities still earn adequate money, unlike economists coming from weak universities => overall average salary is greater for engineers as this was the initial discussion.

ReputationRep:
    Ramroff when you come out of oxbridge with a 1st and a 30k salary come back. Until then I suggest you be quiet. You are living a dream if you think you can just make the requirements and get a 30k job. Think about it why pay 30 grand to something with no experience whatsoever? Theres more to it than grades and reputation of the university.

ReputationRep:
    Well... I applied for Econonomics in the big 6 ones for Econ (Cam, LSE, UCL, Warwick, Notts and Baths) and got rejected from all!!! Actually, I dont really like Economics at all, I prefer Business... but my dad wanted me to apply for it! (although he then says "study what you wish" ... yeah right!) and then applied to Civil Engineering and got an offer!
    I think if you want to stay in England, Economics is a very VERY VERY competitive course... but there are good posts for it if you go to a very good uni! (not like Spain, no one study econ... they just ask a 5.00 to enter! and then you end up working in a very bad place within a bank!)
    However, Engineering in England seems to be really cool!!! and you end up in just 4 years!!!
    I'd go for Engineering... but it's your choice... have you ever done Economics before?

ReputationRep:
    What were your A Level and GCSE Grades?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 17, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.