Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Brighton?

ReputationRep:
    Erm, Liverpool. After all, it is the European Capital of Culture 2008.

1) The best Jazz clubs/bars
    2) The Best theatres
    3) The Best Comedy clubs
    4) The most multi-culturalism
    It has all of these things. There are loads of suave bars and clubs, such as those which you describe. The Living Room, Red Room etc, and specifically jazz inclined, include; Jalons, Hartleys Wine Bar, HeebieJeebies, Kirklands and The Marlborough. Seriously, the nightlife in Liverpool is fantastic.

Liverpool also has fantastic theatres, including; The Empire Theatre (which is huge and fantastic!), The Everyman, Playhouse, The Philarmonic Hall, and also, Unity.

As well as these, there are loads of cinemas, including three main Odeon cinemas, UGCs and the best one; FACT. You cannot get a better place than FACT. It is ****ing innovative and brilliant. It's an art gallery-***-picture house, and it's truly great. The cinemas there see you sitting in big comfy arm chairs whilst watching a film, or, if you see a film in "The Box", you sit in a small room on one of the 20 sofas! It's fabulous! There is also a cafe/bar, and video exhibitions there.

Comedy here is also a big plus. Rawhide is the main comedy club, but to be honest, the majority of venus offer comedy nights. This is reinforced with the Liverpool Comedy Festival, which is an annual event.

As for multi-culturalism, it's rife! Hence a part of why we won, Capital of Culture! There are three unis in Liverpool, the best being the University of Liverpool, which is widely respected. Then there is Hope University, which is another great place to study, and of course, John Moores University, or JMU as it is commonly known. Take your pic!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wise One)
    Brighton?
    I don't think so.

ReputationRep:
    Take Liverpool seriously, for such a small city it does have some pretty unique and impressive theatre/museums/art galleries/experiments.

Obviously Manchester. Lots of comedy, Jongleurs? Frog and bucket? Music wise, there is going to be several world class names in music playing every night. literally the biggest bands in the world will always stop by Manchester. The Bridgewater Hall for superb music which isn't just popular. Alot of culturual institutions, the cornerhouse for example, a small foreign cinema at the top of Oxford Road, with a gallery which gets top quality exhibitions. Or the Manchester Art Gallery. John Rylands library is gorgeous. Architecture in Manchester is beautiful. Manchester is just a real alternative to London.

Also, Oxford or Cambridge? Oxford has loads of cultural institutions, Oxford Imps etc. Cambridge has loads of Jazz nights, Jazz at Johns, Clare Cellars Jazz, comedy nights, Clare Comedy. Lots of art societies, some very impressive museums. There is generally a culture of students engaging in such activities at Oxbridge, it's pretty normal for most of my college to goto the Jazz night for example. And of course at both of these unis you're very close to London.

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh!
    The Edinburgh Festival is the biggest Arts festival in the _world_. If you manage to get somewhere rented for the entire year instead of just term time, you'd have the entire Summer not being able to move for plays and concerts.

ReputationRep:
    If you DID include London, which is better, Manchester or London?(i havent been to either)

Also, is there a lot of nightlife in Manchester? Like discotheque/clubs there? I've heard there's just like...2 in Manchester. :/

ReputationRep:
    birmingham is pretty multicultural... and its got everything u listed.... and a good uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeR)
    If you DID include London, which is better, Manchester or London?(i havent been to either)

Also, is there a lot of nightlife in Manchester? Like discotheque/clubs there? I've heard there's just like...2 in Manchester. :/
    try about two hundred and you might be closer! There is a LARGE variety, enough for you to never get bored!

ReputationRep:
    theres sooooooo much nightlife in manc - everyfin u kud want! ive bin in manc 4 a year now @ uni n theres noway ive bin 2 anywhere nr all the clubs i wanna go 2!! theres jst 2 many!! xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeR)

are you kidding? theres hundreds of clubs in manchesta! dunno about cheesy french dicotheques..... but theres definately hundreds of nightclubs

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh seems quite good for culture, but I'm not really speaking from much experience

ReputationRep:
    Since when has Manchester ever had culture? jk

Outside of London, I'd say most major cities like Liverpool, Manchester, Nottingham etc. which have large student populations will fill your criteria. Personally I'd say Liverpool but I'm biased.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely edinburgh!!

ReputationRep:
    manchester has awesome nightlife, and there is something for everyone, which i find is hard to get in london, especially since everything is all over the place. manchester is quite compact and i like that. it has great museums, galleries etc, and as someone mentioned, the cornerhouse cinema which is one of my favourite things about the city, showing foreign and independent films, with regular festivals and a trendy bar and cafe. and it is multicultural, and there are loads of international students. im no expert on jazz and comedy clubs, but i have been to the comedy store a couple of times and had great nights.

from what i have seen of liverpool it is a great place also, i liked it far more than i thought i would.

ReputationRep:
    jazz - birmingham holds a jazz festival every year and has quite a few bars/clubs

theatres - hippodrome, alexandra, REP and a variety of smaller companies

comedy - not really sure as I'm not much of a comedy person but the universities themselves have comedy nights

multi - cultral - birmingham is the second biggest city and has a variety of different cultures within its borders......quite close to the town centre itself is the chinese quarter.....

Kt
    xx

ReputationRep:
    I know several people who all go to different Universities. One goes to Newcastle and thinks the night life is unparalled - I suppose that's slightly bias, but he is never one to over exagerrate. Another one has just finished a 4 year Law degree at Cambridge and says the experience is breath taking. I suppose if you are after a good night life, great bars and a rowdy student experience, somewhere like, Newcastle, Leeds, Portsmouth (?), Manchester, Edinbrugh etc. would be prime choices. On the other hand, if you're after a more laid back and cultural (as the topic states) experience, perhaps somewhere like Bath, Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick and Kent (I've heard Kent is actually good for both) or Bristol (also good for both). Hope that's helped, and good luck.

ReputationRep:
    As a student, how the hell will you afford to go to the theatre all the time? And, at least in London, many jazz bars are exclusive sorts of places - not for students

ReputationRep:
    That's a good point! Also...i hope this doesn't cause any controversy but which place is "the least racist"? I know thats quite ambiguous and ill probs get 'abused' for asking it...but from my experience worcester (used to live there) was V.Racist..whereas say...Bristol wasn't..i know the many arguments ppl are gonna state...but if out of all of that i can get maybe a bit of info. of some1 who's had it, then it'll be worth it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by homoterror)
    Take Liverpool seriously, for such a small city it does have some pretty unique and impressive theatre/museums/art galleries/experiments.
    1. I would take the city which has been named European Capital of Culture 2008 seriously.

2. Liverpool isn't a small city and neither is the urban conurbation of Merseyside which surrounds it. :rolleyes:

Population (as of 2003)

Liverpool 441, 830
    Manchester 432, 472
    Leeds 429, 242

Merseyside 1,362,026

Most cities can provide a little bit of each.

ReputationRep:
    Having grown up there, IMO there is something about Liverpool that makes it feel quite small though. Although that could just be a natural feeling after having lived somewhere for a long period of time.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.