The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Inzamam99
The army will not help the Americans invade the country- I'am very sure of this, my uncle's actually a Major General and is currently in Waziristan. The Baloch and Pashtuns will join with the army to fight off the USA (common enemy like the West and USSR in WW2)- they hate the US much more than the Pakistani government.

lol, semantics.

America is operating in Pakistan. Fact.
Reply 61
In my opinion, America should carve Pakistan into three, remove their nukes an Invade Pashtunistan.
As much unstable pakistan might become, I highly doubt whether they'll ever actually fall to the taliban. (dont type taleban, it's so irritating!)
Reply 63
doggyfizzel
Personally I think it's questionable whether its responsible for Pakistan to have nuclear weapons, when they don't have complete control over their own country. I nuclear weapon realistically is more of way of controlling foreign affairs than a modern day weapon for most countries, if Pakistan can't control their own country who are they to be dictating foreign affairs, in terms of defence they have far more obvious problems with their military than the need to be at the forefront of military technology,

Pakistan has full control over its military and it has humiliated the Taliban on both South Waziristan and Swat. Pakistan also has something called autonomous reigons which by definition mean that the central government doesn't have full control over.

doggyfizzel

they can't even defeat some guys with AK's in their own back yard.

'Cause the US and NATO are doing a much better job.:rolleyes:
Reply 64
doggyfizzel
Personally I think it's questionable whether its responsible for Pakistan to have nuclear weapons, when they don't have complete control over their own country. I nuclear weapon realistically is more of way of controlling foreign affairs than a modern day weapon for most countries, if Pakistan can't control their own country who are they to be dictating foreign affairs, in terms of defence they have far more obvious problems with their military than the need to be at the forefront of military technology, they can't even defeat some guys with AK's in their own back yard.

It is defeating them now just before the army wasn't committed to the fight due to hardliners considering the Indians a bigger threat. It definitely is flattening the Taleban now though, much more than the US in Afghanistan imo :p:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Black_Thunderstorm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Rah-e-Nijat
Reply 65
pasargad
In my opinion, America should carve Pakistan into three, remove their nukes an Invade Pashtunistan.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha NO.

Also some proof of your alleged deep US inteference inside Pakistan would be very nice- most don't trust false rantings from a biased source you know.
Inzamam99
Pashtunistan is romantic concept really and although it gained some support in the 1970's and during the time of the British empire, it's virtually impossible that the country of Pashtunistan will actually form. This is simply because the Afghans and Pakistanis won't let it. Particurly in the Pakistani side the military is really very strong and crush any nationalistic movement immediately. There's some support within the Pakistani government however to rename the NWFP as Pashtunistan while ensuring that it remains a part of the country.

Pashtun nationalists in Pakistan, however, are cognizant of the fact that Afghanistan simply wishes to annex Pashtunistan, and are weary of its support. The old claim that Pashtunistan could rely on Afghanistan instead of Pakistan has also been diminished, since Afghanistan's economy and infrastructure have been decimated. Further, many members of Afghanistan's non-Pashtun majority express hostility and antagonism towards Pashtuns, since the Taliban was primarily Pashtun. Pashtun nationalists no longer can find a reliable friend in Afghanistan, or Russia, and their disdain for Indians (Pashtun Nationalists see Punjabi culture as oppressive, but view India as the ultimate source of those traditions) means that few are left to support Pashtunistan.

I'll PM later about the Durand line etc. can't be asked to write much more. :o:

Thanks for that summary.

Great except the second excellent paragraph was awfully familiar. I read it last week -> You nicked it word-for-word from Wikipedia Lol
Reply 67
Haft_Hasht_Shish
Thanks for that summary.

Great except the second excellent paragraph was awfully familiar. I read it last week -> You nicked it word-for-word from Wikipedia Lol

Sorrrry it just summarised my personal feelings so well and was well written as well. Humble apologies :o:
Reply 68
pasargad
The war on the Taliban is a just war. The Taliban are wahhabi terrorists. They're not Muslims. Don't make it out to be a war on Islam. It's not.

Just war? Of course it has to be made out tobe just but no it isn't.

You ask the Afghan whois a terrorist and he'll say the American flying over my land dropping cluster bombs. Terrorism is a meaningless word, its purpose being to get people emotional.

Yes and if the Prophet and the companions were here today the West would be calling them salafis, fundamentalists, extremists, wahhabis, Islamists. These are terms the West uses not Muslims. Muslism use them now, since when do we take guidance from the kufaar.Its a shame that Muslims no longer recognise Islam. They'll see you following the sunnah and you'll be called a wahabbi but tell them about your group dhikr and they'll come running to you. Thats what Hasan al Basri said in his time, that the companions wouldn't recognise anything from your Islam except for the prayer. That was back then, imagine now. Now is closer to the time of the strangers who the Prophet mentioned.

Its a war on Islam, but they absolutely cannot have anyone say that.
But we're a dumb people. We only need to hear one thing. If America says its not a war on Islam then we believe them. You should read the books they write. When they explain who they are fighting, who are these peopel who they label. They say these people want to govern by Islam, they reject innovation and strictly follow the example of the first generation of Muslims, there loyalty is to Islam not to culture, tribe or family. Youask any Muslim worth his salt if that is a good thing and they will answer yes.

We Muslim don't even know what Islam is and here come the kufaar trying to tell us what Islam is. No wonder we fall for it. All this stuff about progressive Islam, Western Islam, modernising Islam. There libraries are full of the stuff.
Reply 69
roots
Just war? Of course it has to be made out tobe just but no it isn't.

You ask the Afghan whois a terrorist and he'll say the American flying over my land dropping cluster bombs. Terrorism is a meaningless word, its purpose being to get people emotional.

Yes and if the Prophet and the companions were here today the West would be calling them salafis, fundamentalists, extremists, wahhabis, Islamists. These are terms the West uses not Muslims. Muslism use them now, since when do we take guidance from the kufaar.Its a shame that Muslims no longer recognise Islam. They'll see you following the sunnah and you'll be called a wahabbi but tell them about your group dhikr and they'll come running to you. Thats what Hasan al Basri said in his time, that the companions wouldn't recognise anything from your Islam except for the prayer. That was back then, imagine now. Now is closer to the time of the strangers who the Prophet mentioned.

Its a war on Islam, but they absolutely cannot have anyone say that.
But we're a dumb people. We only need to hear one thing. If America says its not a war on Islam then we believe them. You should read the books they write. When they explain who they are fighting, who are these peopel who they label. They say these people want to govern by Islam, they reject innovation and strictly follow the example of the first generation of Muslims, there loyalty is to Islam not to culture, tribe or family. Youask any Muslim worth his salt if that is a good thing and they will answer yes.

We Muslim don't even know what Islam is and here come the kufaar trying to tell us what Islam is. No wonder we fall for it. All this stuff about progressive Islam, Western Islam, modernising Islam. There libraries are full of the stuff.

Yeah but the Prophet and his comapnions did not murder innocent children or blow up mosques. Also, the loyalty of the TTP is not Islam it is to themselves. That's why they murder innocent Imams who preach against them. They're deeply tribalistic as well, why do you think most of the commanders come from the Mesud tribe?

I don't care about terrorism but when I see Mr Hakimullah blow up a bazaar and proudly claim that he ordered it, I know where I stand.
Sakujo
This probably the most ridiculous assertion made against Pakistan. There are many things that make this scenerio impossible.

1) Warheads aren't like sweets, they require advanced technology to transport and store. You really think that the Taliban will be able to transport a nuke on a donkey and store it in a cave?

2) The exact location of Pakistans warheads is not known to any other country except Pakistan. If the US doesn't know where they are do you think the Taliban do?

3) How exactly is the Taliban gonna use the warheads. Last time I checked they don't have any jet fighters.

You get the point.

Couldn't have put it better myself. I fail to see how a group with an estimated strength of 25,000 can overrun the 7th largest armed forces in the world in its own territory. And you've got to factor in that as soon as the Taliban looks remotely like taking over Pakistan, the USA would step in.
Reply 71
Sakujo
Yeah but the Prophet and his comapnions did not murder innocent children or blow up mosques.

Actually a mosque was destroyed by them during his lifetime.

Also, the loyalty of the TTP is not Islam it is to themselves. That's why they murder innocent Imams who preach against them. They're deeply tribalistic as well, why do you think most of the commanders come from the Mesud tribe?

Can you give me some links?

Some of them might do good and some might do bad but its not forbidden to fight alongside bad Muslims. Its their duty to repel the invader and if they fail its the duty of those nearby and so on and so until its the duty of the whole ummah.
It's not even about a matter of Taleban's strength and it's ability to overcome the Pakistani forces. It's all about money, american intelligence has already proved that pakistan's own military figures are sharing information with the taleban. With the corruption that exists, the Taleban just need to slip enough notes under the table and eventually they'll get what they want.

I really hope this doesn't happen, sometimes I just wish everybody could just drop a load of nukes on the afghan/pakistan border...who gives a crap about human rights, this is international security we're talking about!
Reply 73
doggyfizzel
By definition a stable country can't be fighting for control in its own borders, hence its not a stable country.

It's not fighting for it's own borders though.

doggyfizzel

The US and NATO is slightly different, they have to appease the international community, and so cannot act in the same way as if they were fighting in their own country. It's called operation 'Iraqi Freedom' which in the current state makes them more peacekeepers then fighters,

You still have to appease the international community even if you're fighting within your own borders. For example, Sri Lanka and the LTTE.

doggyfizzel

as for fighting, taking territory 2 countries with minimal casualties shows they are pretty good at out and out fighting.

:rofl:

Yeah the world's best forces managed to take out a a depleted Iraqi army which had trouble feeding its own soldiers and another government which had about ten tanks. Real achievement.:rolleyes:
Reply 74
Playboy King
It's not even about a matter of Taleban's strength and it's ability to overcome the Pakistani forces. It's all about money, american intelligence has already proved that pakistan's own military figures are sharing information with the taleban. With the corruption that exists, the Taleban just need to slip enough notes under the table and eventually they'll get what they want.

I really hope this doesn't happen, sometimes I just wish everybody could just drop a load of nukes on the afghan/pakistan border...who gives a crap about human rights, this is international security we're talking about!

Thats just what they tell you. (In the process they execute there agenda against the far target and the near target, which is its own population) If you believe that crap i don't know what to say. Threat level critical, threat level high what a load of nonsense.
Reply 75
roots
Actually a mosque was destroyed by them during his lifetime.

With people still inside?

roots

Can you give me some links?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tehrik-i-Taliban_Pakistan#Leaders

Notice how many Meshuds there are.

roots

Some of them might do good and some might do bad but its not forbidden to fight alongside bad Muslims. Its their duty to repel the invader and if they fail its the duty of those nearby and so on and so until its the duty of the whole ummah.

It is the duty of Muslims to correct un-Islamic behaviour in other Muslims. To fight alongside crinimals that murder people without regret and cause chaos in the world and to not bring them to justice is IMO un-Islamic.
Reply 76
Playboy King

Please don't tell me you believe all that. There are very few people within the (united) army who support the Taliban any longer especially after its attacks on important military installations. Some people in the military were against taking action against the Taliban but that's before the waves of suicide bombings etc. began in 2005. Finally the Taliban have no "notes", there're just like 20,000 tribesman from the border area- most of them probs can't read.
Inzamam99
Please don't tell me you believe all that. There are very few people within the (united) army who support the Taliban any longer especially after its attacks on important military installations. Some people in the military were against taking action against the Taliban but that's before the waves of suicide bombings etc. began in 2005. Finally the Taliban have no "notes", there're just like 20,000 tribesman from the border area- most of them probs can't read.

Well that still doesn't eradicate the presence of corruption in the region, and politically Pakistan is supremely corrupt. It's irrelevant how many or few there are in the army that support them, it only takes as little as one person to leak information.

By notes, I meant money...you know, the saying of money being slipped under the table?

I'm not against Pakistan, I actually think it has great potential...it's just unfortunate that it and its people are being engulfed by the few corrupt figures. From your username I presume you know Imran Khan, the cricketer turned politician. I've been to quite a few of his speeches for university of London and even he says that as long as there's poverty in Pakistan there will always be a way to bribe, hence the corruption. Leaving the money aspect out of it, I think morally the corrupt figures would be more inclined to do the right thing and fight for true justice...unfortunately money speaks louder than morals over there.
Reply 78
Playboy King
Well that still doesn't eradicate the presence of corruption in the region, and politically Pakistan is supremely corrupt. It's irrelevant how many or few there are in the army that support them, it only takes as little as one person to leak information.

By notes, I meant money...you know, the saying of money being slipped under the table?

I'm not against Pakistan, I actually think it has great potential...it's just unfortunate that it and its people are being engulfed by the few corrupt figures. From your username I presume you know Imran Khan, the cricketer turned politician. I've been to quite a few of his speeches for university of London and even he says that as long as there's poverty in Pakistan there will always be a way to bribe, hence the corruption. Leaving the money aspect out of it, I think morally the corrupt figures would be more inclined to do the right thing and fight for true justice...unfortunately money speaks louder than morals over there.

Yes I do know Imran :biggrin: . I definitely see what you mean and agree that Pakistan has some extremely corrupt and sleazy politicians (at the top is Zardari). What I'am trying to say is that the ARMY isn't corrupt and the generals are the people who control Pakistan's nuclear weapons not the politicians and luckily for us no Pakistani general is ever going to sell out the Taliban.
Random comment relating to the first post - Spooks last night was ok but who else had the feeling that they had much more material but cut it down to the one hour? Personally, it left me well dissapointed. Oh well there's 24 coming back!

Inzamam99
Sorrrry it just summarised my personal feelings so well and was well written as well. Humble apologies :o:

It's cool haha. And yeah it was written well, hence my :s-smilie: at first. I wasn't going to point it out but couldn't resist. :o:

Latest

Trending

Trending