Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ok i think this does belong here cos it is a discusion.....

anyway, i usually put all my washing in together and some of the stuff like tops came out with grey spots on it and it really pissed me off. so my sister said to wash my darks speretly cos its all like mixing or something, and i just have and all my bright colours stil have grey spots on them!!!!! why is this happening?!!!!

ReputationRep:
    GG what's wrong with you :mad:

Why do u keep changing your name

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sqa7)
    GG what's wrong with you :mad:

Why do u keep changing your name
    lol im changing it back cos its crap

ReputationRep:
    Hate to tell you this but you've just ruined a load full of clothes. You're never going to get the grey out because it's clothes dye which is made to... well... dye the clothes. You should ALWAYS wash lights and darks seperately. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SB)
    Hate to tell you this but you've just ruined a load full of clothes. You're never going to get the grey out because it's clothes dye which is made to... well... dye the clothes. You should ALWAYS wash lights and darks seperately. :rolleyes:
    but i did this time and it stil happened

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G_G)
    but i did this time and it stil happened
    Yeah, but the dye was already in the clothes from the previous wash. Another wash won't wash the dye out.

ReputationRep:
    use a dye catcher - it helps i think you can get them from tescos my mum uses them and the catch all the dye that runs out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gossip_girl)
    ok i think this does belong here cos it is a discusion.....

anyway, i usually put all my washing in together and some of the stuff like tops came out with grey spots on it and it really pissed me off. so my sister said to wash my darks speretly cos its all like mixing or something, and i just have and all my bright colours stil have grey spots on them!!!!! why is this happening?!!!!
    Here's the washing tips from the world's laziest person.

Before washing:
    Separate into lights, and darks and brights.
    You now have two piles of washing.
    Lights include white, beiges, very light pale colours.
    Darks include denim and black and generally dark colours
    Brights are things like red and green.
    Take out any brights that haven't been washed before and wash them in the sink in hot water. Then put them back in the pile.

Put the whites and light colours in on a hot wash, or if there are a lot of pale colours on a medium wash.

Put the darks/brights in on a medium wash, or a cool wash if there are lots of brights.

Ideally you'd want four piles: white, light, bright, dark, but I'm a poor student and can't afford to.

Anyway the idea behind it is this: clothes are dyed, that's how they get their colour. When you wash something with a lot of dye: something bright, in hot water, the dye gets released and mixes into the other clothes. The newer the item, the more dye gets released. If you wash a mixture of colours together, the resulting colour will be a nasty grey, hence why your clothes get grey spots (they're all crumpled up in the washing machine so they get a tie dye kinda effect). But if the clothes are light or white, there's less/no dye to get released, so you can wash it hotter. Plus, dirt shows up more on lighter clothes, so you need hotter water to get them looking more clean.

For any bad stains, it's a good idea to wash things by hand first then put them in the washing machine.

Hope it helps!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Wash everything on easycare 40. But still separate into lights and darks.

ReputationRep:
    I just stick everything in a cool wash... but then again I don't much care what colour my whites come out. It's a fun surprise.

ReputationRep:
    werid? :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    well, that well and truly suckz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coldfish)
    I just stick everything in a cool wash... but then again I don't much care what colour my whites come out. It's a fun surprise.
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    ^
    agrees

ReputationRep:
    but i wash everything at 40
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    but i wash everything at 40
    Well done!

Are you sure you didn't have anything in there that shouldn't have been?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Well done!

Are you sure you didn't have anything in there that shouldn't have been?
    well i put everything light in there including jeans....is the jeans bad? but they are light blue-ish

ReputationRep:
    well i put everything light in there including jeans....is the jeans bad? but they are light blue-ish
    are they new?

does the grey stuff look a bit like dirt?

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.