Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Would you want to stay as far away as possible, would you not want to touch them at all? What do you think..

ReputationRep:
    I'd treat them no different to anyone else.

ReputationRep:
    And why wouldn't you want to touch them? We all know that you don't contract the virus simply by touching them!

ReputationRep:
    My uncle has HIV. I don't think of him any differently, although I feel sorry that he's suffering from something so major..

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't treat them any differently, but i wouldn't have sex with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_tenth)
    would you not want to touch them at all? What do you think..
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ant93)
    I wouldn't treat them any differently, but i wouldn't have sex with them.
    Same here.....

You cannot contract HIV by touching someone who is infected with it...

It wouldn't make sense to treat someone with HIV differently to someone without it?! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    what kind of question is that?

i would treat them no different to any other person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam_B)
    i would treat them no different to any other person.
    I think this sentence sums it all up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xanthe)
    I think this sentence sums it all up.
    I said that over half an hour ago if you read the whole post...

(Original post by rock_tenth)
    Would you want to stay as far away as possible, would you not want to touch them at all? What do you think..
    even if you have unprotected sex with them there is only a 1 in 300 chance you'll contract it. (still not worth taking!!!!)
    so why stay awa from them or treat them any different?

ReputationRep:
    I'd treat them exactly the same as anyone else, but I wouldn't sleep with them.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with everyone else, treat them exactly the same, but if you really like that person then it may make a relationship slightly difficult to say the least.

ReputationRep:
    oh dear this thread is so pointless

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trigger)
    oh dear this thread is so pointless
    It is isnt it. Its not like anyones going to say anything suggesting they find those with HIV revolting, otherwise they will get neg repped and be hated.

ReputationRep:
    exactly no one is going to give their true feelings about it

ReputationRep:
    I dont mind admitting that I would act ever so slightly differently around someone with HIV....but only to a more cautious manner because i'm a bit of a hypochondriac. Hmmm, I guess that isnt v clear. What I mean is that although I would attempt to appear as treating them exactly the same as anybody else, I would know inside personally I am treating them differently (perhaps I would be the only one to notice this).

It's like how a friend who recently became paralysed, I try to treat him no differently when around him, but it feels different talking to him (and obviously there are some things which you just have to do differently as well, such as finding the wheelchair ramps for buildings etc).

In a politically correct world, we all try to treat everyone equally, I certainly wish everyone could be treated equally, but unfortunately because we are all different, how can we act like everyone is exactly the same!

Please don't flame me for what I've just said, it's just the way I feel - I hope it's not noticeable I am treating people differently but I conciously feel as though I am!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeCool_Lemming)
    I'd treat them exactly the same as anyone else, but I wouldn't sleep with them.
    Ditto - but then I don't sleep with the vast majority of my acquaintances, so that's no different either!

I do think Will has a point though - not that it'd make me change my behaviour or anything, because I know all the facts etc, but it would just be a thought in the back of my mind on occasion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nima)
    I would avoid touching them unless I had good reason to do so. i.e.) They were a family member or a friend.
    erm why?

ReputationRep:
    i'd be sympathetic if anything else.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 12, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.