Turn on thread page Beta

How would you behave towards someone with HIV? watch

ReputationRep:
    i wouldnt treat them any differently as people at all, nothing wrong with them.....there are more auto-immune diseases than HIV! however if my boyfriend had HIV i would be more careful during sex etc which is explainatory in itself xoxo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nima)
    Because I wouldn't feel comfortable in doing so. Firstly there is no reason to touch them and the fact that they have HIV makes me very uncomfortable in touching them, there are always elements of paranoia in the back of my mind.
    i heard hiv was airbourne!!!!

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    well id be pretty wary of any physical contact myself, some amounts of blood or other fluids could easily be on their skin

The risk of contracting it like that may be very small, but the consequences of doing so are high enough to tip the balance to that side for me

ReputationRep:
    Don't be so ridiculous. Why would they be likely to have blood or anything on their skin any more than anyone else? Plus the virus is crap at surviving outside the body so would probably be dead anyway. And how would it get into you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Don't be so ridiculous. Why would they be likely to have blood or anything on their skin any more than anyone else? Plus the virus is crap at surviving outside the body so would probably be dead anyway. And how would it get into you?
    they would probably be no more likely to have such fluids on their skin than anyone else, i didnt mean to imply that I thought that.

I cant describe how the virus can actually get into you; i dont know, i can only imagine conceivable routes

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't give a ****. But I wouldn't sleep with them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_tenth)
    they would probably be no more likely to have such fluids on their skin than anyone else, i didnt mean to imply that I thought that.

I cant describe how the virus can actually get into you; i dont know, i can only imagine conceivable routes
    youpoor misinformed idiot :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trigger)
    youpoor misinformed idiot :rolleyes:
    what did i say that was wrong and ****?

ReputationRep:
    what did i say that was wrong and ****?
    your view that anyone could catch hiv by touching any of there body fluids like it was said there is a 1 in either 300 or 3000 chance of catching (i cant quite remember) and the virus does not survive out of the body very well. you have made this thread without looking at any of the relevent facts about hiv only going on your own misconceptions and urban myths.

ReputationRep:

It can't get in through contact with your skin. There needs to be transfer via bodily fluids and an open wound/broken surface layer. So unless you had a cut and somehow mixed their blood with yours (and especially if they're on anti-retroviral drugs, it'd have to be a significant amount, not just an invisible bit on your skin) then it'd be quite hard to catch it off them.

ReputationRep:
    your view that anyone could catch hiv by touching any of there body fluids like it was said there is a 1 in either 300 or 3000 chance of catching (i cant quite remember) and the virus does not survive out of the body very well. you have made this thread without looking at any of the relevent facts about hiv only going on your own misconceptions and urban myths.
    The 1/300 chance Jamie mentioned is the chance of catching it through penetrative, unprotected sex. The risk from anal sex would be greater, and the risk from oral sex less so, but still present.

There's no reasonable chance whatsoever that you could catch it just by skin to skin contact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    The 1/300 chance Jamie mentioned is the chance of catching it through penetrative, unprotected sex. The risk from anal sex would be greater, and the risk from oral sex less so, but still present.

There's no reasonable chance whatsoever that you could catch it just by skin to skin contact.
    thank you

ReputationRep:
    if there is a 1/300X chance, I think "could" is a reasonable word

it may not "survive" very well outside the body, but then it does for a time, presumably?
    _
    EDIT after reading the last posts - even if the virus "cant" be absorbed through healthy skin, there are scratches and cuts to think about that may not be apparent

How well can it be absorbed through the eyes, or the inside of your mouth and other ****?

ReputationRep:
    if there is a 1/300X chance, I think "could" is a reasonable word

it may not "survive" very well outside the body, but then it does for a time, presumably?
    but you are not going to catch it from brushing past someone with a cut on there arm are you

ReputationRep:
    but you are not going to catch it from brushing past someone with a cut on there arm are you
    but when do you ever do that anyway? i don't think i've ever got someone else's blood on me ever.

ReputationRep:
    hopefully not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)
    but when do you ever do that anyway? i don't think i've ever got someone else's blood on me ever.
    which is point exactley

ReputationRep:
    hopefully not
    its just a no because it wont happen its not like a cold

ReputationRep:
    heres a basic page about some **** http://www.avert.org/howcan.htm

ReputationRep:
    if it's pointless trigger why are you bothering?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 12, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.