Turn on thread page Beta

How would you behave towards someone with HIV? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by durhamlad1)
    if it's pointless trigger why are you bothering?
    Because shes highlighting the fact that it is pointless, whereas no one else has actually pointed out the fact that few people will agree with the thread title that people with HIV get treated differently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_tenth)
    if there is a 1/300X chance, I think "could" is a reasonable word

it may not "survive" very well outside the body, but then it does for a time, presumably?
    _
    EDIT after reading the last posts - even if the virus "cant" be absorbed through healthy skin, there are scratches and cuts to think about that may not be apparent

How well can it be absorbed through the eyes, or the inside of your mouth and other ****?
    If a scratch is big enough to bleed (i.e. so the virus can get in) then you'll see it. There aren't tiny invisible gaps in your skin that the virus is going to wiggle its way in across.

It can't enter across the mucosal surface of the mouth, but the mouth is more prone to having tiny cuts etc in it from brushing your teeth/eating sharp food, and is not keratinised like normal skin, so it can get across more easily, but unless you're giving oral sex/sucking their blood, it's still virtually impossible. I have NO idea about eyeballs, I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    if it's pointless trigger why are you bothering?
    :rolleyes: i hate people that do that you know it doesnt make you look more intelligent

ReputationRep:
    heres a basic page about some **** http://www.avert.org/howcan.htm
    Yep, suggest you read it and see that you can't catch it from any of the stuff you're worried about.

ReputationRep:
    heres a basic page about some **** http://www.avert.org/howcan.htm
    lol those are the main points of how you catch it and how u dont and its explainations may be basic but thats about it! xoxo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Markus)
    Because shes highlighting the fact that it is pointless, whereas no one else has actually pointed out the fact that few people will agree with the thread title that people with HIV get treated differently.
    Yes they have.

ReputationRep:
    Yes they have.
    :rolleyes: just make a relevent comment or go away

ReputationRep:
    I think that people aren't so much worried about catching HIV, but are worried about the stigma that is associated with it. HIV in itself is not that terrifying (in my opinion), but the way that it is seen socially, is what makes people so afraid of it. The urban legend surrounding it (like leprosy, in its time, I would imagine) is what creates the fear.

My dad died of AIDS, and my mum didn't tell me that this was the cause until I was 14. For a while I thought of him differently, but then I realised that he was still the same person, whether he died of cancer, AIDS, or a drive-by shooting. Anyone who says that they would be afraid to so much as *touch* a person with HIV needs to look at themselves, because it is their problem. HIV is a virus, it cannot be transferred by treating someone like a human being.

ReputationRep:
    how the hell do you know if someone has HIV anyway! for all you know they could have the disease, and have shook your hand.....you cannot criticize a disease that you cannot see the symptoms of unless you know the person has the disease and if you know the person, before they knew personally they had the disease then whats changed? the person hasnt changed, just the situation - its the same with anyone who has a life-threatening disease such as Cancer etc..... they just want a fulfilled life not people avoiding them because they think they can catch it from a handshake..... xoxo

ReputationRep:
    Yes they have.
    oh ffs -3 neg rep arent you a big boy :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i wouldn't want to have any sort of sexual relationship with them, thats for sure.

Please inform me, if a mother has hiv and gives birth, does the kid have hiv?

Its just if i i ever got hiv, that means no kids right? which is something i don't want to risk.

As for non-sexual situations, i doubt they'd tell you (no reason to)/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zakatu)
    i wouldn't want to have any sort of sexual relationship with them, thats for sure.

Please inform me, if a mother has hiv and gives birth, does the kid have hiv?

Its just if i i ever got hiv, that means no kids right? which is something i don't want to risk.

As for non-sexual situations, i doubt they'd tell you (no reason to)/
    in modern medicine not always but sometimes it depends if it is passed on through the mother while the child id growing or wheather it contracts it when its being born but many people can give birth safley with the correct treatment

ReputationRep:
    i would like to say that i would treat them no differently etc etc etc, but i think that when it came to it, i would be more cautious round them, trying to be over tactful. I might offend them by not saying much because i dont want to offend them, which actually has the opposite effect...

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 12, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.