Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Speleo - I'm not a politician, I'm not a public speaker. Your gripes at my opening thread are probably all correct. But please don't be so arrogant as to put one word statements and end with a very, very cynical "Hmm..." as if you know you're right and have the solutions to the worlds problems. My question is simple, "why can't people just get along?"

ReputationRep:
    Eddie, the important thing is that we can't get along, you hint at a couple of the reasons why in your post.

Different peoples have different ideas of the way to live and struggle to maintain their own cultures or impose theirs on others. People are tribal, and have a natural 'them' and 'us' attitude to protect their own communities.

Better that we all lived in our own homelands and without threatening other peoples maintained our own folkways and cultures. If we gradually evolve toward a one-world community, fine, but at the moment we impose our cultures on each other, conflict and tension the result.

Intro to Sir Arthur Keith, autor of 'A New Theory of Human Evolution'.

ReputationRep:
    Speleo - I'm not a politician, I'm not a public speaker. Your gripes at my opening thread are probably all correct. But please don't be so arrogant as to put one word statements and end with a very, very cynical "Hmm..." as if you know you're right and have the solutions to the worlds problems. My question is simple, "why can't people just get along?"
    The title and your original post are non sequiturs, which would you like me to answer?

Oh, and I haven't neg repped you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArthurOliver)
    Eddie, the important thing is that we can't get along, you hint at a couple of the reasons why in your post.

Different peoples have different ideas of the way to live and struggle to maintain their own cultures or impose theirs on others. People are tribal, and have a natural 'them' and 'us' attitude to protect their own communities.

Better that we all lived in our own homelands and without threatening other peoples maintained our own folkways and cultures. If we gradually evolve toward a one-world community, fine, but at the moment we impose our cultures on each other, conflict and tension the result.

Intro to Sir Arthur Keith, autor of 'A New Theory of Human Evolution'.
    I agree with you. I think humans over complicate everything and that they do, as you say, try and impose things on other people. I probably did that with my opening statement. Thanks for being critical, rather than just trying to be funny, I appreciate it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speleo)
    The title and your original post are non sequiturs, which would you like me to answer?

Oh, and I haven't neg repped you.
    I don't actually know what a "non sequitur" is. I'd like your opinion on why people can't get along.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eddie K)
    I don't actually know what a "non sequitur" is. I'd like your opinion on why people can't get along.
    It's when several arguments don't follow from one another. People often use the term here for no good reason, Orwell's guide to writing style says "Never use a foreign phrase, legalese, a scientific or jargon word if you can use a simple English equivalent instead.", which I myself agree with...

ReputationRep:
    Different idealogies, religious or political.
    Greed for wealth or power.
    Prejudices.
    Ignorance.
    Stupidity.

I'm sure there are many more,.but the top two are probably the most important.

ReputationRep:
    It's when several arguments don't follow from one another. People often use the term here for no good reason, Orwell's guide to writing style says "Never use a foreign phrase, legalese, a scientific or jargon word if you can use a simple English equivalent instead.", which I myself agree with...
    Speleo says, "Use the word which is most appropriate, and if you don't understand a word, use http://www.dictionary.com, you might learn something."

ReputationRep:
    religion! - it divides every1!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil23)
    religion! - it divides every1!
    thanks for that!

ReputationRep:
    The attacks in London sickened me. How anyone can be allowed to live in this country and incite hate against her is beyond me. Why can't people just get along? What saddened me most, which might seem strange, is how the elderly must feel about the bombings. They risked their lives to defend our great country against the Nazi ideals and succeeded. How must they feel when they see people who have no right to be here, who contribute nothing, who spunge off benefits, who condemn our beautiful way of life cause death and chaos in our greatest city. How dare they. The Human Rights farse should be scrapped, torn-up and thrown in their faces and then they should be found and publicly executed. That will send a message to anyone who is thinking of scarring this land or anyone who thinks they can get away with hating it. Then they will be running scared, with their Nike trainers on, back to their caves.
    :mad:
    You know, you are very much pandering to the goals of the terrorists, they want to incite us so the British muslims will be persecuted and possibliy declare jihad. What we should do is pass laws that keep religion seperate from state law, so laws that might favour muslims are not allows to be created.

ReputationRep:
    Going back to something that was said earlier - Yes, I think everyone who shouldn't be here should be rounded-up. Does that mean every Muslim, no, of course it doesn't. I haven't ever said anything racist. The "back to their caves" comment in my opening post was said because that's the image I have of terrorists. The "Nike" shoes comment was said because I laugh at the hippocritical nature of most people who hate the western world, like the man with the hook in Finsbury Park (I forget his name). He obviously hated this country and shouldn't be allowed here, ever. And yet, he walked around with a bluetooth headset and Nike shoes on. To me, that wreaks of a hippocrite.

ReputationRep:
    Define "shouldn't be here."

ReputationRep:
    Going back to something that was said earlier - Yes, I think everyone who shouldn't be here should be rounded-up. Does that mean every Muslim, no, of course it doesn't. I haven't ever said anything racist. The "back to their caves" comment in my opening post was said because that's the image I have of terrorists. The "Nike" shoes comment was said because I laugh at the hippocritical nature of most people who hate the western world, like the man with the hook in Finsbury Park (I forget his name). He obviously hated this country and shouldn't be allowed here, ever. And yet, he walked around with a bluetooth headset and Nike shoes on. To me, that wreaks of a hippocrite.
    Abu Hamza

ReputationRep:
    But if we start on that course, we could very quickly end up at a place where most will not want to go, where any undesirables (in the eyes of the ruling class) will be ejected, regardless of the right of those people to live in this country.

ReputationRep:
    Well, every person who has come to this country from abroad illegally.

ReputationRep:
    Ignoring the underlying hypocrisy, how exactly do you intend to 'round these people up'.

ReputationRep:
    Legal/illegal in this are, in my view, a little unsatisfactory. It seems unfair that a guy who feels uncomfortable in Poland can wander here undhindered, but that someone fleeing persecution and torture who must escape quickly to a safe place should be rounded up. What would you want to happen to these people? have them sent back? locked up forever?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juueru_chou)
    But if we start on that course, we could very quickly end up at a place where most will not want to go, where any undesirables (in the eyes of the ruling class) will be ejected, regardless of the right of those people to live in this country.
    Probably true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richl)
    Legal/illegal in this are is, in my view, a little unsatisfactory. It seems unfair that a guy who feels uncomfortable in Poland can wander here undhindered, but that someone fleeing persecution and torture who must escape quickly to a safe place should be rounded up. What would you want to happen to these people? have them sent back? locked up forever?
    Is Britain the nearest country for these people to escape to? I mean if I were in a rush to leave Britain I would go to france or Ireland not travel half way aroung the globe. I would also have more sympathy if they didnt travell through 3-8 safe countries before getting here.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 10, 2005
Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.