Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is Britain the nearest country for these people to escape to? I mean if I were in a rush to leave Britain I would go to france or Ireland not travel half way aroung the globe. I would also have more sympathy if they didnt travell through 3-8 safe countries before getting here.
    Doesn't Britain receive something like 12% of all immigrants in the EU?
    I can't remember the figure exactly, but Britain is 5th-10th in the EU based on numbers of immigrants accepted.

It's a great misconception that all the immigrants are coming to Britain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC01)
    Is Britain the nearest country for these people to escape to? I mean if I were in a rush to leave Britain I would go to france or Ireland not travel half way aroung the globe. I would also have more sympathy if they didnt travell through 3-8 safe countries before getting here.
    not the nearest, no...but one of the most desirable. You should recognise that other countries take on far more immigrants than we do. The view that "it should be someone else's problem" is pretty indefensible, isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speleo)
    Doesn't Britain receive something like 12% of all immigrants in the EU?
    I can't remember the figure exactly, but Britain is 5th-10th in the EU based on numbers of immigrants accepted.

It's a great misconception that all the immigrants are coming to Britain.
    We are also the most overcrowded devolped country in the world.

ReputationRep:
    I find it hard to care, really.
    Why don't we kick everyone who's name is 'Steve' (for example) out, that would decrease the problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC01)
    I hate this word "overcrowded"...when did you last go into the countryside and see a farmer's field full of illegal immigrants? Where are these crowds of people?? Britain is much bigger than you like to think.

ReputationRep:
    It's a difficult problem to solve. Firstly, as Speleo is asking, how do you round them up in the first place? The system is so rubbish that no one knows where illegals are anyway and are afraid of being called racists and other things that they wouldn't go around and ask every foreigner for documents showing that they have indeed been integrated and have the right to be here. If I was in power, that's the first thing I'd do. If you then came across a person who has no right to be here, you deport them back to their home country. Now, obviously, if their own country is in a war or something, or whatever reason it's not practical or moral to send them back, you have to keep them here. Thats where I think they should be properly integrated into a community and most importantly of all, give them a job and a basic place to live. That way, they can work for the community and live without fear of persecution. If the war or whatever in their own country ever ends, you give them the choice of going back. I think that would be a good system. It probably has many snags though.

ReputationRep:
    How do you tell who's a 'foreigner'?

ReputationRep:
    Or how do you tell who's integrated?

Do they have to have a job or what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC01)
    Can you source your claims? Or is The Netherlands not developed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richl)
    I hate this word "overcrowded"...when did you last go into the countryside and see a farmer's field full of illegal immigrants? Where are these crowds of people?? Britain is much bigger than you like to think.
    We are overcrowded. Not in the literal sense of the word though. For instance, in the area of Walthamstow, which is about five minutes away from me there is a huge mix of people from all over the place. However, there are also a huge amount of illegal immigrants, which puts burdens on housing and health care and schools. It is therefore a very dense and overcrowded area.

ReputationRep:
    We are overcrowded. Not in the literal sense of the word though.
    Uh, what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kizdesai)
    Can you source your claims? Or is The Netherlands not developed?
    The netherlands have a lot more people, but Britain has more people per square mile(england even more so)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eddie K)
    We are overcrowded. Not in the literal sense of the word though. For instance, in the area of Walthamstow, which is about five minutes away from me there is a huge mix of people from all over the place. However, there are also a huge amount of illegal immigrants, which puts burdens on housing and health care and schools. It is therefore a very dense and overcrowded area.
    I just don't accept it. If the country's infrastructure can't keep up with population, you don't boot out the population, you fund and modify the infrastructure. Bit of a dodgy argument, that.

ReputationRep:
    The netherlands have a lot more people, but Britain has more people per square mile(england even more so)
    Overpopulation is more relevant than people per square mile.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, exactly. they have a job and have made a life for themselves in the country without sponging. that's what i consider to be integration. it is quite easy to tell who's a foreigner by asking them for identification. If they don't have it or don't reply to you in English or with a foreign accent, they are obviously not nationals. Then it's just the case of discovering whether they are legally here or not. I don't know how you'd do that, documentation I'd imagine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richl)
    I just don't accept it. If the country's infrastructure can't keep up with population, you don't boot out the population, you fund and modify the infrastructure. Bit of a dodgy argument, that.
    The countrys infrastructure can keep up with population, but not with population that aren't meant to be there, that's the point. Places like Walthamstow wouldn't be overcrowded if they're weren't illegal immigrants there because infrastructure could cope.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC01)
    errr what? since you don't want to source your own claims a simple google search helped me prove me beyond my own thoughts. Unless you don't consider these counties developed:

Singapore
    Hong Kong
    Vatican
    Netherlands
    belgium
    Japan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...lation_density

This post is way off topic, and I'd rather we leave the issue of overpopulation to rest. I would much rather listen to Eddie talk about how he would expel illegal immagrants with accent tests.

ReputationRep:
    The countrys infrastructure can keep up with population, but not with population that aren't meant to be there, that's the point. Places like Walthamstow wouldn't be overcrowded if they're weren't illegal immigrants there because infrastructure could cope.
    Oh come on, you know it's nearly impossible to objectively say who is meant to be here. A lot of people don't like the royal family because they say that getting a title because you were born with it is unjustifiable. Just because one has the fortune to be born here does not mean one has the right to be here, and just because one has the misfortune to be born into 3rd world poverty does not mean one has not the right to be here. A lot of white, uk-nationals really shouldn't be here in my opinion.

So where do you draw the line? 2nd generation? 3rd generation?

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you. I think humans over complicate everything and that they do, as you say, try and impose things on other people. I probably did that with my opening statement. Thanks for being critical, rather than just trying to be funny, I appreciate it.
    The people who believe we can all get along are racial supremacists, not consciously, but that's the implication of their unexamined faith in assimilation. They believe that when exposed to Western (White) Civilisation they will ditch their traditions, religion, tribal affiliation, and distinct ethnic heritage, and happily become Western.

It doesn't occur to the White supremacists that Islam or African culture might be superior and that Muslims or Africans rather than ditching their heritage will try and change us, and transform our civilisation.

Conflict is the rule.

ReputationRep:
    it is quite easy to tell who's a foreigner by asking them for identification. If they don't have it or don't reply to you in English or with a foreign accent, they are obviously not nationals.
    :eek:

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.