Rouz
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Whats the difference between the European Union and the European Community?
Aquarian
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
union has only the members of eu, ec are all european countries.
jacketpotato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
No difference
LawBore
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Recent EU legislation has ensured that the term 'EU' encompasses that which was formerly referred to as the 'EC'.
lawbot
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Rouz)
Whats the difference between the European Union and the European Community?

im shocked at the lack of knowledge in previous answers.

There is a difference and here it is:

The European Community as set up in the 1960's as a way of removing social and economic boundaries after the second world war.
There were other new institutions set up such as the European coal and steel community that set up about with improving trade in these two areas.

Each of these communites represent one pillar of legal interaction between European member states.

Norway is a member of the European Coal and Steal commnity but not the European Community.

After the Mastricht treaty was ratified, i think in 1992 the new term European Union was used to encompass the three pillars or communities of Europe. A member of the European Union would be part of all the communites,

Up to this point most european legislation was made under powers from the 'European community' and not the others. So whilst it would not be wrong to have said 'EU LAW' it would have been more precise to state 'EC law'

Now after the lisbon treaty, all these little communities with differing areas of expertise would be merged into one under the title 'EUROPEAN UNION'

Now the European Union can legislate on all the past communities areas of jurisdicition.

So as from 2009 it is now correct to say 'EU LAW' and 'EC LAW' is now incorrect.

Hope this clears it up for you.
jacketpotato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Mmmm interesting, I never knew that the terminology changed with Lisbon

People are still publishing books titled "EC law" though, so I guess the Op won't lose too many marks if he jumbles them up :p:
Rouz
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
thanks for your help

(Original post by lawbot)
im shocked at the lack of knowledge in previous answers.

There is a difference and here it is:

The European Community as set up in the 1960's as a way of removing social and economic boundaries after the second world war.
There were other new institutions set up such as the European coal and steel community that set up about with improving trade in these two areas.

Each of these communites represent one pillar of legal interaction between European member states.

Norway is a member of the European Coal and Steal commnity but not the European Community.

After the Mastricht treaty was ratified, i think in 1992 the new term European Union was used to encompass the three pillars or communities of Europe. A member of the European Union would be part of all the communites,

Up to this point most european legislation was made under powers from the 'European community' and not the others. So whilst it would not be wrong to have said 'EU LAW' it would have been more precise to state 'EC law'

Now after the lisbon treaty, all these little communities with differing areas of expertise would be merged into one under the title 'EUROPEAN UNION'

Now the European Union can legislate on all the past communities areas of jurisdicition.

So as from 2009 it is now correct to say 'EU LAW' and 'EC LAW' is now incorrect.

Hope this clears it up for you.
Andrew Chapman
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
'Norway is a member of the European Coal and Steal commnity'

That's a new one - do you mean EFTA, and the EEA?

Andrew
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (62)
17.27%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (101)
28.13%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (137)
38.16%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (48)
13.37%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.06%

Watched Threads