Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

how does in your opinion economics at St Andrews rate in comparison to other british universities?
    Times rate it as the eighth best, while it is considered one of the worst ones by Guardian. I know, you can´t rely on their tables completly but I am just curious how is such a big difference possible.
    I doubt that the quality of the course can compare with those at LSE or UCL but I am still considering it because of the financial support they claim to offer to eu students.
    Is here anyone currently studying there who receives enough support to pay fully for the living costs at this uni?

Thanks in advance

Vlad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vlad)
    Hi,

how does in your opinion economics at St Andrews rate in comparison to other british universities?
    Times rate it as the eighth best, while it is considered one of the worst ones by Guardian. I know, you can´t rely on their tables completly but I am just curious how is such a big difference possible.
    I doubt that the quality of the course can compare with those at LSE or UCL but I am still considering it because of the financial support they claim to offer to eu students.
    Is here anyone currently studying there who receives enough support to pay fully for the living costs at this uni?

Thanks in advance

Vlad
    Hi Vlad,
    I am currently studying at the University. You shall not count on the support of the University. They have a few really good scholarships, but they only give it to two or three people, who might not even deserve it. (I know two students who recieved 7000 Pounds and are pretty well-off). The University is very hypocritical and you can only recieve help if you are a new entrant. They need to offer scholarships to weaken the University's bad reputation of "widening access"...
    As for the Economics course, the Economics department has serious problems. The tutorials they offer are worthless and so are the lectures. I was told that the seniour year is really good though. I am hoping for the best since Economics is my degree. Bye the way, one of my favourite lectures in Economics (who came over from Camb and had a great reputation) just left the University. Would be curious of the reason...
    Regards,
    Lid

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 13, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.