Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I need a new passport since mine's run out. Can anyone answer any of these questions?

1. How do I get a new one?
    2. How much does it cost?
    3. How long will it take?
    4. They spelt my name wrong in the original one - will they correct their mistake free of charge?
    5. Will I have to send in additional proof for them to put my name right?

Cheers dahlings

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)
    1. How do I get a new one?
    2. How much does it cost?
    3. How long will it take?
    Soz, dunno the answers, but want to know them too! Mines run out, and cant get my provisional with the outta date passport either! Bo**ox!

ReputationRep:
    Er, there's a website that tells you everything, just google it, and I swear a really good site tells you everything you need to know...I'd do it for ya, but um, I want to go play in the sunshine now. Good Luck. Where are you going? Bear in mind it takes a few weeks to arrive; probably more so because summer is peak holiday season.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I think you need to get a form from the post office!

ReputationRep:
    Go to the post office and get a passport form. Fill it in and get two passport photos taken. As you were born after 1982, you will also need to know your parents' passport numbers and dates of issue. (It asks for these on the form.) Needs to be done in block capitals and in black pen.

If you use the post office check and send service (highly recommended), which is an extra £7 (I think), they will certify your photos for you and all you need to do is pay at the post office and send off the form with your photos and enclosing your expired passport. They can only do this if you are still recognisable from your last passport photo.

Otherwise, you'll need to get a professional (such as your teacher/lecturer, doctor, dentist etc.) to certify your photos and complete the section at the back of the form to say that the photo is a true likeness of you.

Using the check and send service, they aim to get your passport back to you within two weeks, but it's not guaranteed. Mine took 6 days though.

If you need it quicker, it is more complicated and costs more, but it can be done.

Have a look on the website for more information. Don't apply online. It might seem easier, but it's not. Plus the post office cannot check it for you, so if there's something wrong with our application, it will take forever to sort out.

ReputationRep:
    All the info you need...

ReputationRep:
    PS - as for the mistake with your name - I'm not sure but if you take your birth certificate to the post office as well for proof, they should be able to sort it out for you.

ReputationRep:
    Can you apply for a new passport before your old one runs out?

ReputationRep:
    yes, of course u can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam_B)
    yes, of course u can.
    Yeah, obviously by a few weeks, but what about a few months?

ReputationRep:
    Wow, awesome, thanks.

I have a driver's licence, nus card and uni ID - would this be ok for changing my name?

Anyone know how much it costs? I can't afford it now; at least I've got time to lose weight for my next picture...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chardonnay)
    Can you apply for a new passport before your old one runs out?
    Yes, you cannot travel abroad unless you have 6 months left on your passport, so sometimes you have to.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know how much it costs? I can't afford it now; at least I've got time to lose weight for my next picture...
    Go to that link I posted, it really will tell you everything. I think it's between £20-£40, I'm thinking nearer £40, but this is a wild guess, go to the site.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, obviously by a few weeks, but what about a few months?
    I renewed mine over a year before it expired, simply because my old one was not machine-readable and I needed to travel to the US.

Lauren, I think it costs around £40.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)
    Yes, you cannot travel abroad unless you have 6 months left on your passport, so sometimes you have to.
    Ok, thanks.

Jeez, £40 odd just for a renewal!

ReputationRep:
    Right I've found the costs. It's £42 for a standard passport, so I'm assuming it will be that or less to get a renewal.

Anyone know if I'll have to pay for the name change/amendment even though it was their mistake? I figure I'll assume not and kick up a fuss if they try to charge me.

ReputationRep:
    Lauren - the standard passport renewal costs £42, plus the extra for the check and send service.

Chardonnay - I think you can, yes. If you apply for a new passport whilst your current one is still active, I think they will just add the unused time before the expiry date to your new passport, so that it will be valid for as long as it would have been had you applied for it after your old one had expired. If that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    Jeez, £40 odd just for a renewal!
    Think of it as the government scamming us out of as much money as possible It can't possibly be that much for admin costs surely?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by susiemakemeblue)
    Lauren - the standard passport renewal costs £42, plus the extra for the check and send service.

Chardonnay - I think you can, yes. If you apply for a new passport whilst your current one is still active, I think they will just add the unused time before the expiry date to your new passport, so that it will be valid for as long as it would have been had you applied for it after your old one had expired. If that makes sense.
    Yeah it does thanks
    I've been reading that website, I think I can do it about 9 months in advance of it expiring, and I've got 6 months left on mine, so I think I'll be ok.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by susiemakemeblue)

My new one is valid for the normal 10 years- it should be valid for 11 if they added the two dates.

I think 10 years is the upper limit (like with photocard licences) because it's something to do with keeping an accurate photo on record.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 10, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.