Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)
    Think of it as the government scamming us out of as much money as possible It can't possibly be that much for admin costs surely?
    I can't see how it would cost anywhere near that much. But they do it with drivers licences too don't they, stupid government!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    I think 10 years is the upper limit (like with photocard licences) because it's something to do with keeping an accurate photo on record.
    Isn't that why they have 5 year ones for kids?

ReputationRep:
    Isn't that why they have 5 year ones for kids?
    Yes, I think so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chardonnay)
    I can't see how it would cost anywhere near that much. But they do it with drivers licences too don't they, stupid government!
    They do it because they can. Because the alternative is not being able to drive or leave the country, so people just pay it.

You have to pay for freedom here, don't you know? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by susiemakemeblue)
    They do it because they can. Because the alternative is not being able to drive or leave the country, so people just pay it.

*Grumble*
    :mad:

:p:

ReputationRep:
    In special cases, they can speed up the process a lot. If you can justify that you need the passport immediately it can take less than a week but it depends how linient the person handling your file is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by susiemakemeblue)

Well in most countries you pay for your passport, maybe not as much as here but either you pay up front or you pay through tax. A passport is never free.

ReputationRep:
    I had my original passport sorted in a week as I was on my mums passport until I was 16 and then got a new one made up after my 16th birthday- I was travelling about 10 days after it so needed it done urgently.

Then shoved that passport through the wash when I got back from backpacking last summer, was about £40 odd for a renewal of my passport- my one is valid for 10 years 9 months now though

ReputationRep:
    I need a new passport since mine's run out. Can anyone answer any of these questions?

1. How do I get a new one?- go to the post office and pick up the forms.
    2. How much does it cost?- nothing but it costs about £7 if you want the post office to check the forms over before you send them away and up to £15 to have your doctor, teacher, lawyer or someone else of high profession to sign it.
    3. How long will it take?- Usually about 3 weeks
    4. They spelt my name wrong in the original one - will they correct their mistake free of charge?- should do
    5. Will I have to send in additional proof for them to put my name right?- they should just give you a passport from what you have filled in on the new forms.

Cheers dahlings
    Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    I need a new passport since mine's run out. Can anyone answer any of these questions?

1. How do I get a new one?
    2. How much does it cost?
    3. How long will it take?
    4. They spelt my name wrong in the original one - will they correct their mistake free of charge?
    5. Will I have to send in additional proof for them to put my name right?

Cheers dahlings
    Go to the passport office in Liverpool. Seems the best idea to me, as (I presume) you are going back to LPool sometime soon.

4. They spelt my name wrong in the original one - will they correct their mistake free of charge?
    5. Will I have to send in additional proof for them to put my name right?

Cheers dahlings
    they did the same with mine, but i never noticed for 7 years. All i had to do was write a letter with my application and proof of my real name, ie. birth certificate

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 10, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.