Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    was wonderin if 34 points on the ib is a good score.thoiught i was gonna do crap so i didnt apply to unis, ill do that next year. so...is 34 good enough to get into sum top unis? i heard the average for ib students was around 28 or something but that could be ********. so...anyone?

ReputationRep:
    well.....Oxbridge wants 38-41, London wants 36-40.....other top unis will also want about 36 i guess. I think that more important is how u did on ur HL subjects. If you got 6s in HL but 5s in SL you will still be OK, I guess. 34 is not crap, but it isnt very high. I would say it is a good score that will let you in to most unis. Warwick wants 34 from Engineering students....
    What do you want to study? What did you get from you HL?

ReputationRep:
    well it depends on the course you wanna do! however, concerning the top unis, 34 stands a chance only for least popular subjects... still it's enough to get you to decent unis though

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh offered me a place for Philosophy and English Literature for 34 points. Don't know how good you consider Edinburgh to be, but it's possible to get into good universities with that score. It really depends on what you want to study and what individual grades you got as well, ie better grades in higher levels or a good grade in a social science if you plan to study a social science etc.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the subjects that you took and your individual scores.

34 is not bad, you can get to a good (top 20) university depending on which course you want to pursue.

A top (top10, top5) uni is more difficult to get into, but again it really depends on which course you want to pursue, what your individual subjects & scores are, and etc..

I know of a person who went to Warwick to do something science related (can't remember lol) and he got a 33, and Warwick is a really good uni.

ReputationRep:
    just need a lil bit of luck and plenty of prayer, 34 should be good enough for some 1st class unis,but your luck will definitely count. cheeeeeeeeeeeeeers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pole_from_swede)
    well.....Oxbridge wants 38-41, London wants 36-40.....other top unis will also want about 36 i guess. I think that more important is how u did on ur HL subjects. If you got 6s in HL but 5s in SL you will still be OK, I guess. 34 is not crap, but it isnt very high. I would say it is a good score that will let you in to most unis. Warwick wants 34 from Engineering students....
    What do you want to study? What did you get from you HL?
    well i wanna study law...which requires the highest entry grades of any subject :rolleyes: ive been to an international school and i speak 3 languages so that should work in my favour hopefully. my HL courses i got: french-7 philosophy-6 economics-5 and at SL: english-7 maths-4 biology-5. no extended essay or tok points. im hoping that my high scores in subjects like english and philosophy will impress the acceptance ppl at the unis i apply to. what do you think?

ReputationRep:
    well i think that first of all you should do your own research - go the the websites of some unis and have a look - the vastr majority of them have the score written there!

to be honest, 34 points for law at the best unis is quite a little... however, have you thought vof how to spoend your gap year? consider working for a law company - it might help you

ReputationRep:
    It is possible to go get into Law with 34 points, in fact my friend got into Law at Sheffield with 34 points this year. Remember that even though you do not meet your conditional offer, you have a good chance of getting in any way if you call the University and explain your situation, as well as emphasize how much you would like to study there. This is what my friend did, his conditional offer for Law at Sheffield was 37 points, but he scored 34, yet still got in. So it is possible, just be persistent!

ReputationRep:
    Wow, the standards in England is high. For university of Toronto, it's ike 28-30, for the best business school, Schulick, it's only36. Standards are lower here I guess

ReputationRep:
    i have to get 42 or above to be guaranteed a place in law at melbourne uni...

ReputationRep:
    44/45 for medicine at said university. Dodgy UMAT score included.

ReputationRep:
    bristol gave me a 33 point offer for law, and durham gave me a 34 point offer . So u might wanna consider these universities (but bear in mind that my predicted grade was 40+). To add to this u'll also need a really good personal statement, and a good lnat score. With law at these top unis being so competitive and all, I don't think u'll get a place though clearing.

I suggest taking a gap year, and getting some relevant work experience for your PS. maybe even retaking some subjects to get a higher grade if a top tier uni for law is really what you want.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.