Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi;

I am considering putting in an application to Homerton to do English with Education (route 1..unforutnately- as route 2 asks for lower grades!)

I don't know what my grades will be at AS... I've been told I could get A's in Sociology and English Lit; but I know there is a possibility that I might drop down to a B (I had to sit all my AS levels in the summer...so have no clue where I am!) and my Psychology...well. We've had a rubiish teacher and done next to no graded work.

I live in Peterborough and desperately want to commute to Uni.

Ultimately I want to be a secondary school english teacher...

:confused: Any advice/experiences?

Cheers

K

ReputationRep:
    You have to live within 3 miles of Great St. Mary's so you won't be able to commute to Cambridge. Have a look at what the requirements are for Education at Homerton, look at how you do at AS and figure the rest out yourself. It's only one of six places on the UCAS form so if you have a realistic chance of reaching their offer you may as well give it a go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ticki)
    You have to live within 3 miles of Great St. Mary's
    Is that for every single night during term time? What if you need to, say, visit an ailing relative, go to a very important concert, or something similar?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Wesley H)
    Is that for every single night during term time? What if you need to, say, visit an ailing relative, go to a very important concert, or something similar?
    you need to be present during term for an equivalent number of nights to those in full term. or you can get away with not signing out. it's a bit daft, because half the time i don't stagger in til around 3-4am anyway. after exams i made it to my room earlier than 5:30am on one occasion before going home. most boaties have left by that time anyway, so it's not like you'd ever not have an excuse for not being there. if you need to go visit someone ill, you can get special permission from your dos.

ReputationRep:
    Would they make any exceptions do you think? I'd be prepared to pay a live-out fee...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notebook)
    Would they make any exceptions do you think? I'd be prepared to pay a live-out fee...

No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Wesley H)

You have to obtain special dispensation (an exeat from your Tutor).

ReputationRep:
    Bummer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by svidrigailov)
    You have to obtain special dispensation (an exeat from your Tutor).
    Well, some colleges are more strict than others. As Lauren says, lots of people just sneak out. That said, you'd have to have a very mean tutor not to give you an exeat if you really did require one.

ReputationRep:
    Is there any point in me applying then...if I don't want to move out?

ReputationRep:
    Thats really disapointed me.

ReputationRep:
    What's your incentive for wanting to commute? Money?

ReputationRep:
    hey guys, i just would like to clarify something... ...is Homerton school of health studies part of cambridge university? say you gained a degree after studying at homerton school of health studies, would the degree be awarded by cambridge uni? cheers guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincE MarkuS)
    hey guys, i just would like to clarify something... ...is Homerton school of health studies part of cambridge university? say you gained a degree after studying at homerton school of health studies, would the degree be awarded by cambridge uni? cheers guys
    You are, strictly speaking, a member of Cambridge University (or CUSU at least) but your degree is awarded by APU.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, my primary reason is money- esp. as Homerton is one of the most exspensive colleges, but also because I've had a really rough time this year and I know I won't cope with studying somewhere new AND living there too. It just won't happen.

ReputationRep:
    I've just had a really dodgy day.

Having been seriously considering whether I would, infact, cope with moving away should I (ha ha) get the grades and get an offer at Cambridge I sat out on the filed talking to my friend who is applying also- she has more guarenteed grades though; when one of the school teachers came around. In full knowledge that we were both considering an application she completely ignored me and proceeded to talk to my friend about her personal statement/application/interview techinique etc.

Should I just not bother? Two other (more senior, slightly younger but not be much) teachers separately encouraged me to apply for Homerton.

AHHHHHH :confused:

ReputationRep:
    No - I've been told by various tutors on several occasions that schools often expect the wrong people to get in.

ReputationRep:
    Thats encouraging. Thanks. Feeling a bit demotivated!!

I just found this on the 'alternative prospectus' website

"They also charge students extortionate rates for rent if you live in college, and a whopping £95.00/term for the privilege of living out!"

And its listed as one of the negative point (the fee)...I'm confused!!

Also wanted to know; is Homerton a very flexible College? It was suggested to me primarily, as I want to be an English teacher but it also has an image of being slightly more flexible with grades- certianly for route 2 they're asking for only a b in the main subject!!

Is it more flexible than the more 'traditional' college (Trinity, Emmanual etc)??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notebook)
    Thats encouraging. Thanks. Feeling a bit demotivated!!

I just found this on the 'alternative prospectus' website

"They also charge students extortionate rates for rent if you live in college, and a whopping £95.00/term for the privilege of living out!"

And its listed as one of the negative point (the fee)...I'm confused!!

Also wanted to know; is Homerton a very flexible College? It was suggested to me primarily, as I want to be an English teacher but it also has an image of being slightly more flexible with grades- certianly for route 2 they're asking for only a b in the main subject!!

Is it more flexible than the more 'traditional' college (Trinity, Emmanual etc)??
    i imagine so, they let me in with a B, after missing offer of 3As. I have also met many ppl there who dont have striaght As.....though ppl dont tlk about grades too much (all that doesnt matter now, i passed the first yr, woooo!!!).

i would say if you really want to be a teacher and shine in the interview, for education, the grades arent the most important thing (i'm not saying you don't need them).

And you should contact the college and ask about the various grants and whatnot which you could be entitled to, see prospectus.

It's a great college!!! you should apply

oh and if you live out there is this thing called the non residence fee (about £100/yr), which sucks a bit. you still have to pay it when they never had enough accomodation for you in the 2nd yr!!! :P living in a house should be fun tho if you are straped for cash they will give you high priority for accomodation in the 2nd n 3rd years, im not sure about the 4th yr.

keithy!

ReputationRep:
    So you can live out?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.