Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My cousin has just finished her AS-levels and is predicted AAAAA in Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics and General Studies.

She wants to apply for Medicine (2006 entry) but is worried she won't even get interviews despite her AS grades (she will get AAAAA as is doing immensely well this year). Her GCSEs aren't great: 2 A's, 5 B's and 5 C's. It would seem odd that someone expecting to obtain such high A-level grades in hard subjects only got those GCSEs (and there weren't even mitigating circumstances) - she has just simply improved academically of late and become a lot more focused.

I think she's worried that the admissions tutors will see her as someone who did sod all for her GCSEs but then worked hard for AS.

Realistically, does she stand a chance?

ReputationRep:
    If she can get an interview then she stands a very good chance. It might be good for her to mention it on her personal statement why her GCSE's were mediocre.
    However saying that, I kno at least 2 ppl who got a lot of A*s and and few A's at GCSE, this one girl got rejected everywhere without interview except Leeds. She predicted good grades etc, good GCSE's. I think it was cos she didn't have any work experience. That is a big factor. There is another girl who has good results aswell, not as good as hers, but cos she worked in a nursing home for a good length of time she got offers everywhere. One, I think without interview, (i think). But definitely everywhere, competitive med schools.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of medical schools often set a minimum requirment for GCSE's which is often around 10 A*-C passes with at least 5/6 grade As.

If your cousin had extenuating circumstances as to why he/she didnt achieve the minimum GCSE requirments this could help.

Some universities are aware of the fact that many students are late academic developers.

In short a lot of universities take into account many factors aside from GCSE due to the competition for places at any medical school.

Really your cousin shold phone around medical schools and ask for advice on making an application.

With a good set of AS results, A2 predictions and non academic activities and personal statement your cousins chances could be as good as anyone elses (depending on what the institutions say).

I am not going to give false hope and say all they will look at is your AS grades and A2 predictions because i know people who applied in the past with brilliant AS results but poor GCSEs and got rejected by all their medical schools on the basis of their GCSEs.

Tell your cousin to write to the universities she is interested in and to ask if they would be willing to cosnider.

I hope it all goes well for your cousin, in the end of the day no one should be denied an opportunity if they're willing to work hard.

Hope it all goes well.

Mr P.

ReputationRep:
    There are plenty of medical schools whose entry requirements don't require such high GCSE grades. Have a look on www.ucas.co.uk. I remember when i was looking a year ago i found some good universities like this.

From the top of my head, i think KCL don't require high grades for gcse.

ReputationRep:
    what did she get in GCSE English Language?????

General studies is rubbish/ doesnt count

ReputationRep:
    If she gets an interview and the admissions tutors think she'll be able to become a doctor one day she'll most likely get in. Obviously this depends on many factors such as grades, work experience, dedication to subject etc.

Going from AABBBBBCC to AAAA isn't too much of a jump, A Level is known to be more interesting.

I've gone from BCCCCCCDDD to AAA and there's people in my college who have done similar things, though I'm still no good at anything excluding Maths.

Good Luck to her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by w8wizz)
    what did she get in GCSE English Language?????

General studies is rubbish/ doesnt count
    Her 2 A's were in Double Science GCSE.

I not sure about some of the others but I know she got a B in Maths and a B in both English Lang and Literature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red_roadkill)
    Her 2 A's were in Double Science GCSE.

I not sure about some of the others but I know she got a B in Maths and a B in both English Lang and Literature.
    I think there is still a good chance of getting an offer form a uni, except oxbridge.

She can make up for not getting all A* by doing alot of work experince and voluntary work.

Extra activities will also help, particularly music and art, sports only if county or international.

ReputationRep:
    hmm, some unis don't mind if you don't have high GCSE's, but i know someone who was rejected from birmingham because they didn't have something like 8 A*-A.
    Best thing to do is to ring them up and see, so that she doesn't waste an application on a uni that won't even interview her because of the grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR P. ENIS)
    A lot of medical schools often set a minimum requirment for GCSE's which is often around 10 A*-C passes with at least 5/6 grade As.
    Name them.

ReputationRep:
    OXBRIDGE, KCL, QMW, SGHMS, Bham (8 A*/A), Bristol want grade A passes, Aberedeen want grade A/b passes, Glasgow want Grade A/B passes, Brighton want a good set of GCSEs as do UEA and Manchester and Liverpool.

Look can't go into it.

Cousin what's its name has to ring around the unviersities and ask.

We're not raising anyones hope by saying "if you have work experience and sport you'll make up for those gcses" because time an again i see people at school or in the news who have BRILLIANT applications but get no offers.

Medicine is competitive and when you enter a competition you're putting yourself up for potential dissappointment.

Just phone the universities and see what they say. Our answers are not the be all and end all.

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham want 6As to include the sciences, Soton want 10 passes to include 7As,
    I spoke to St Andrews on the phone they said A*/As.

Belfast said their threshold varies year after year.

Imperial AAABB in chem, bio physics, maths,eng lang in any order.

Newcastle want As and Bs

Edinburgh varies they say 10 a/b s but a tutor at edinburgh said most students offer A*/As

Leicester want As and Bs

most applicants exceed the GCSE grades but there are always ones with below par grades who get in.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t88300.html

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham want 6As to include the sciences, Soton want 10 passes to include 7As,
    I spoke to St Andrews on the phone they said A*/As.

Belfast said their threshold varies year after year.

Imperial AAABB in chem, bio physics, maths,eng lang in any order.

Newcastle want As and Bs

Edinburgh varies they say 10 a/b s but a tutor at edinburgh said most students offer A*/As

Leicester want As and Bs

most applicants exceed the GCSE grades but there are always ones with below par grades who get in.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t88300.html
    So even those you posted don't stipulate 10 A*-C at GCSE...

ReputationRep:
    Well to be fair the mininmum requirements are just that.

Most applicants far exceed them so to even have the mininmum grades puts you at a real disadvantage butt o be fair cousins whats is name's Gcses dont seem to meet many of the universities requirements.

ReputationRep:
    Well oxbridge want 10 A*-C passes

ReputationRep:

Most applicants far exceed them so to even have the mininmum grades puts you at a real disadvantage butt o be fair cousins whats is name's Gcses dont seem to meet many of the universities requirements.
    I think ppl in here are being very pessimistic.

It is unlikely ur cousin will get a place, but still apply, there is still a chance.

ReputationRep:
    Your cousin might still get offers. I might add that most Universities have 600 + applications for medicine, and usually only around 150-250 are accepted - so this shows that only the best will get a place. I doubt your cousin would get into a top University to do medicine, but perhaps a University ranked between 30 - 100 in the Times University Rankings Table - provided her PS and WE are top notch, otherwise, based on her grades alone she hasn't got much chance.

ReputationRep:
    Well oxbridge want 10 A*-C passes

Funny - I know peeps off to Oxbridge [hopefully] to study medicine in Sept who don't have those grades - is it a new for 2006 entry thing?

When I tutored medics at Oxford (and we're only talking a few years ago rather than egos...), only a few had those sorts of GCSE grades. Not many schools (especially the '*****' inner city ones) allow their students to take 10 GCSEs.

ReputationRep:

UEA, Liverpool, Leeds, Barts, Aberdeen, Dundee, HYMS, Peninsula, Newcastle, Bristol, BSMS, UCL, Kings will all consider this applicant.

Yes, the minimum requirements are just that, but it's important to note that the minimum requirements are mainly there to reduce the quantity of applications and that many medical schools will allow an equal playing field once these requirements are met.

I am assuming that the applicants C's are not in maths and english, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Funny - I know peeps off to Oxbridge [hopefully] to study medicine in Sept who don't have those grades - is it a new for 2006 entry thing?

When I tutored medics at Oxford (and we're only talking a few years ago rather than egos...), only a few had those sorts of GCSE grades. Not many schools (especially the '*****' inner city ones) allow their students to take 10 GCSEs.
    DAMN
    and there i was thinking clever people went to oxbridge.

It seems you only need 10 Cs to get into oxford these days.

www.medicine.ox.ac.uk
    you will see that oxford require a specific bmat score depending on the number of A*s you got at GCSE. So if you got no a *s you've got your work cut out for you.

Fluffy you seem to be raising this candidates hopes. She might have a good chance with excellent and i mean excellent AS results and references and P.S but if the medical schools like bham do decide to scrutinise on GCSEs, then to be fair cousin X is all but defeated.

I hope he/she does apply though and get's an offer!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.