Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR P. ENIS)
    DAMN
    and there i was thinking clever people went to oxbridge.

It seems you only need 10 Cs to get into oxford these days.

www.medicine.ox.ac.uk
    you will see that oxford require a specific bmat score depending on the number of A*s you got at GCSE. So if you got no a *s you've got your work cut out for you.

Fluffy you seem to be raising this candidates hopes. She might have a good chance with excellent and i mean excellent AS results and references and P.S but if the medical schools like bham do decide to scrutinise on GCSEs, then to be fair cousin X is all but defeated.

I hope he/she does apply though and get's an offer!
    And you seem to be pissing on them for no good reason.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and another thing the 10 A*-C passes ARE specified in btoh oxford and cambridge's
    prospectuses.

Gonville and Caius college say that most applicants offer between 4-6 A*s at GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    No i'm not "pissing" on anyone im being realistic.

No one even with 10A*s, Grade 8 cello or an England Cap altogehter, can say they are definately going to get an offer from medical school.

You just need a bit of luck really!

ReputationRep:
    DAMN

www.medicine.ox.ac.uk
    you will see that oxford require a specific bmat score depending on the number of A*s you got at GCSE. So if you got no a *s you've got your work cut out for you.

Fluffy you seem to be raising this candidates hopes. She might have a good chance with excellent and i mean excellent AS results and references and P.S but if the medical schools like bham do decide to scrutinise on GCSEs, then to be fair cousin X is all but defeated.

I hope he/she does apply though and get's an offer!

Your grammar is terrible, "get's"? :wtf?:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whizz Kid)
    Your grammar is terrible, "get's"? :wtf?:
    It's this heat man! Gosh 30 degrees celsius where I am somebody bring me some ice cold water!

ReputationRep:
    It's this heat man! Gosh 30 degrees celsius where I am somebody bring me some ice cold water!
    Tell me about it. It'll probably snow tomorrow. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    I'd just love it if it snowed. Oh man it's too hot and I've even got the fan on!

ReputationRep:
    No i'm not "pissing" on anyone im being realistic.

No one even with 10A*s, Grade 8 cello or an England Cap altogehter, can say they are definately going to get an offer from medical school.

You just need a bit of luck really!
    Being at medical school, I'm well aware of that

We have a number of programmes at my med school where we go out into the community and provide 6th formers with the information and confidence to apply to medical school - most of these schools are deprived. I know exactly what grades these people have and the offers they hold, and while GCSEs are important, they're certainly not the be all and end all, and there are things that can bolster slightly lower results on an application form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)

We have a number of programmes at my med school where we go out into the community and provide 6th formers with the information and confidence to apply to medical school - most of these schools are deprived. I know exactly what grades these people have and the offers they hold, and while GCSEs are important, they're certainly not the be all and end all, and there are things that can bolster slightly lower results on an application form.
    Yeah. I've really wanted to medicine for about two years now. Actually, I've given up on medicine because it's too competitive. I'd rather do something where there is much less pressure. Also I wouldn't be able to hack 6 years of study! :eek: Good luck to everyone who is applying though.

ReputationRep:

You're getting wrong end of the stick here.

I know aswell there are other factors taken into accoutn by universities like how good the school was.

The GCSEs cousin X has got do put he/she at a slight disadvantage but it doesn't mean she won't get in.

But like i keep saying there is never a definitive answer for any candidate.

I have an excellent portfolio but still found myslef rejected from places where I really wanted to go to and where I thought I had a better chance of getting in than where I actually ended up getting an offer from.

We are not admissions tutors so our answers are not the be all and end. Like I keep saying Cosuin has to phone or write to the universities and ask them.

Sorry if i sounded mean before or sounded like I was trying to put her down I'm not, but at the same time i'm tring to warn her and everyone else, that no one can say he/she is going to receive an offer, we can't say that!

Good luck anyway. Now excuse me I really need a glass of water.

ReputationRep:
    DAMN

www.medicine.ox.ac.uk
    but, having visited this departmental website, you'll no doubt be aware that this GCSE-BMAT score is only to make the initial shortlist for interview? & then..

(Original post by Medicine Dept. Website)
    All candidates not making the initial automatic short-list were reviewed in detail (taking into account such information as their personal statement and school reference and any mitigating circumstances which might have affected GCSE or BMAT performance) and those at the margins were further scrutinised by a cross-college panel. As a result of this process approximately 10% were added to the short-list of those called to interview.
    & AFAIK the rigid university 'matriculation' requirements of a certain number of GCSEs (which was only ever English, Maths, Science & a MFL as i remember..) has now been scrapped in favour of:

(Original post by Official Uni Website)
    The University no longer has formal matriculation requirements. These have been replaced by the following general requirement:

'In order to be admitted to matriculation, candidates must show evidence of an appropriate educational background and good standards of literacy and numeracy.* The University sets no formal "Course Requirements" other than for the First Examination for the Degree of BM; candidates must, however, show that they are qualified to study the particular course they wish to take at Oxford. Acceptance by a college for presentation for matriculation will be deemed to be adequate evidence of an appropriate educational background, of good standards of literacy and numeracy, and of qualifications to study the course.' The University has reserved the right to require candidates to present their certificates for verification if it is deemed necessary.

* GCSE passes at grade C and above in English Language, in a Mathematics or Science subject, and in a language other than English, and at least two A-level passes (or the equivalent in AS levels or a mixture of A and AS levels) would normally satisfy these requirements, as would an appropriate level of attainment in other qualifications such as Scottish Highers, the Irish Leaving Certificate, BTEC National Certificate, an Open University Foundation Course Credit, the European and International Baccalaureates, and degrees of other universities.
    that First BM exclusion is merely:

Candidates not offering Physics or Biology at A- or AS-level must either have that subject or dual-award science at GCSE. Candidates not offering Mathematics at A- or AS-level must have Mathematics at GCSE.
    Oh and another thing the 10 A*-C passes ARE specified in btoh oxford and cambridge's prospectuses.
    which page of Oxford's? i must have missed it... :p:

anyway, while i don't dispute the general idea that most oxbridge medical students (who may or may not be "clever" ) may have outstanding GCSEs & getting in without these may be an uphill challenge, let us avoid blatent misinformation about requirements..? :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I think UEA (universtiy east anglia) don't emphasis on GCSE's that much is the A2 predictions are good, i.e AAAA. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    But I know that Leeds use the GCSE grades to compare with AS grades to give people with late maturity a good chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gordon2002)
    But I know that Leeds use the GCSE grades to compare with AS grades to give people with late maturity a good chance.
    i spoke to the incoming admissions dean at Leeds Med School at their med talk at the open day, and she said they dont pay too much attention (obviously within reason!) to AS results, as a lot of schools dont certify them, and so it isnt a level playing field. fact.

although this does not neccessarily mean your quote isn't also correct.

ReputationRep:
    Late maturity - over a whole 12 months...???

ReputationRep:
    Late maturity - over a whole 12 months...???
    Yes! why not? Perhaps he/she reached his/her full potential within the 12 months

ReputationRep:
    Yes! why not? Perhaps he/she reached his/her full potential within the 12 months
    My ass..... Like that's a significantly significant data value...

ReputationRep:
    my gcses werent that gud but i got my deputy headmaster to pop down my AS level results (AAAAA) on my ucas reference n i got into leeds. i duno if i would have done otherwise. check out leeds admissions policies heres a little paragraph:

AS results obtained at the end of Year 12 should be shown on the UCAS form. However, they will not be used as part of the selection process except to provide evidence of improvement in academic performance following poor GCSE results. Key Skills qualifications will not form part of the selection process for 2006, not because the School does not value them, but to avoid disadvantage to candidates whose school or college does not yet fully provide them.

ReputationRep:
    My ass..... Like that's a significantly significant data value...
    what are you talking about? 'My ass' How would you explain someone getting rubbish gcse's, and then getting AAAAA grades????? ..........
    (Original post by Naveed)
    my gcses werent that gud but i got my deputy headmaster to pop down my AS level results (AAAAA) on my ucas reference n i got into leeds. i duno if i would have done otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    what are you talking about? 'My ass' How would you explain someone getting rubbish gcse's, and then getting AAAAA grades????? ..........
    Er - I can show you several peeps who did significantly more than that...

... explain that in your 12 month model...

ReputationRep:
    Er - I can show you several peeps who did significantly more than that...

... explain that in your 12 month model...
    More than what? You cannot compare with something which you don't know of. Do you know his GCSE grades? NO. So how can you say that you know people who did significantly more than that?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.