Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    anyone know what to do if you've lost it?? :confused:
    careless, i know.... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    It should be on any payslips you have from work, other than that, I don't really know

ReputationRep:
    contact the inland revenue

If you can’t find it, and now don’t know your NI number, you should contact your nearest Inland Revenue National Insurance Contributions office, or DWP office or, in Northern Ireland, the Department for Social Development. They will set up an interview with you to prove who you are, and give you another card.

http://www.worksmart.org.uk/money/vi...on.php?eny=257

ReputationRep:
    Go to the jobcentre.

I lost mine and they were able to find it for me. It took ages though because i don't have a job or claim any benefits... But they will be able to find it out for you.

Take two forms of ID with you! Otherwise they won't help you.

That is really useful to know. I have lost mine and I am about to accept a job :eek: so I will need to know it!!

ReputationRep:
    And when you find it/get a new one, MEMORISE IT! It's not that hard. It's only like a phone number.

ReputationRep:
    Or get them to re issue your card

ReputationRep:
    last year when i was getting my job (which ive now quit but thats beside the point..)
    i couldnt find my n.i. number so i dunno how they managed it but i took my ID in and they must have got it off the inland revenue or something heh luckily i now know what it is phew (dont have a card..long story!)

(Original post by langleyster)
    Or get them to re issue your card
    how would someone go about doing that? they seriously need to send me one! its been 3 years since i sent it back for them to put the right surname on it grr!

ReputationRep:
    I lost my card and I got in touch with them and they issued me with a new one. However, they did say that even if I change my name etc, I can only have one replacement card my entire life time!!! Apparantly, it's due to some security reason!

ReputationRep:
    hey thanks.
    i meant to memorise the number but forgot bout it and lost it :rolleyes:
    is there any way to do it without an interview? just that sounds like a lot of bother and for me i have to travel quite a while to the nearest place.
    if i go to any jobcentre, can they find it for me??
    thanks!

ReputationRep:
    The Department for Works and Pensions (where I work) has a computerised central index, using the National Insurance Number as reference numbers, and it stores details such as your name (and previous names), last known address, date of birth, date of marriage and so on. I imagine it is the same for the Inland Revenue. Therefore, even if you lose your NI card or forget your NI number, it is often possible to trace it up using your full name or date of birth, which can be done at your local Social Security Office or Jobcentre Plus (look in your local telephone directory for the phone number).

The two forms of ID are required to prove who you are. Don't telephone the Jobcentre Plus OR the Inland Revenue for it - they are bound by security and cannot give it to you over the telephone, even if they can access the number. So you'd need to drop in to get it reissued, or ask them to post the details to your address as long as it's still held on the computer system.

According to information told to DWP by the Inland Revenue, it's generally very hard to get hold of a replacement NI card once you've lost it. The only purpose it really serves is to tell you what your number is - it is not acceptable as a form of ID.

ReputationRep:
    As said by Beekeeper, yeah you can go and get it at the Job Centre. I just went in with my passport and, um, can't remember the other thing - birth certificate maybe. Anyway, they were pretty quick about it, search their computers and wrote it down on a bit of paper. Lovely folk.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.