Turn on thread page Beta

£25,000 or 120 000 lottery tickets? watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok i was watching TV last night for the first time in a few weeks and saw this show presented by Foxy, "the big question" or something...

Which would you go for? :cool:

Tickets for me.

ReputationRep:
    the easy money for me, while the tickets would increase your chances by a fair amount, the chances of winning would still be roughly as high as a million to one

ReputationRep:
    Depends if it's a rollover. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scubar)
    the easy money for me, while the tickets would increase your chances by a fair amount, the chances of winning would still be roughly as high as a million to one
    naw, more like... 25/1...

And even if you don't, you might get a few 4/5 numbers...

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather have a 100% chance of £25,000 than a still less than certain chance at a £1 mil + jackpot.

ReputationRep:
    But what about the chances of getting 3 numbers, 4 numbers and 5 numbers?

ReputationRep:
    Tickets I guess. Statistically you have 1 in 15 million chance of winning the jackpot with one ticket so the odds still arent wonderful but I expect you'd win loads from smaller number combinations.

ReputationRep:
    i thought the normal chances of winning were several million to one?
    yeah... not 120000million/1 though! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Hmm I'm not so sure now that someone mentioned the 3,4,5 number thing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarcD)
    Hmm I'm not so sure now that someone mentioned the 3,4,5 number thing...
    Then add them up etc.

ReputationRep:
    Here's some info on the chances of winning the various prizes on the lottery.

http://lottery.merseyworld.com/Info/Chances.html

ReputationRep:
    tickets - im a gambler.

ReputationRep:
    As you saw from last episode, the woman only won about 1k so it varies, stupid mathematician chose a high risk :mad: meh

I would probably go for the £25,000 guaranteed.

ReputationRep:
    I'll take the money.

ReputationRep:
    Anyway it depends, if you're really hard up and in serious debt and all you need is 25k to clear it, then you prob wont risk 120000 tickets and just take the money, but if you're alright financially then gamble for the tickets.

ReputationRep:
    120,000 tickets. Then sell them all .
    And if selling them is impossible then £25,000

ReputationRep:
    120 000 lottery tickets!! Once in a life time opportunity

ReputationRep:
    well there are 14million odd combinations so im told.

So, we have a 250 000 in 14 million of winning, or a 1/56 of walking away with the big prize

whereas the money is a dead cery. and 25 grand is a damn useful amount of money.

However, part winning tickets come into play aswell. isnt 3 numbers a fiver or so?. If they all won a fiver then thats a pretty nice payoff. Simalarly, some may hit the 5 numbers...5 grand IIRC.

Its a tough choice, but for now, as im hardly financially stable, 25 000 nicker for me.

If i was established then id say go for the tickets. It all depends on your circumstance and the like

ReputationRep:
    £25,000
    I'm a bit of a gambler, but not stupid!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beekeeper)
    Ok i was watching TV last night for the first time in a few weeks and saw this show presented by Foxy, "the big question" or something...

Which would you go for? :cool:
    It depends on what the real odds are (i can't be arsed to work them out and lots of people on this thread seem to have made a hash of it :p: ). Also take into account the odds for winning 5,4,3 numbers and the statistical likelihood of exceeding the £25K with other winnings.

If it was a 1:5 chance of exceeding £25K I'd go for it.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.