Turn on thread page Beta

£25,000 or 120 000 lottery tickets? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    £25,000
    I'm a bit of a gambler, but not stupid!

lol, same for me!
    Winning any amount of money would be great, so I'd play it safe.

For an average lottery (i.e. not a triple rollover or higher!), you don't tend to win big money unless you get 6 numbers or 5 + the bonus ball. Someone in my family got 5 numbers a few weeks ago, and considering it was only one number off a full set, so to speak, she got £1000. Whereas 5 + bonus ball that week was tens of thousands of pounds!

If I won millions though, I'd feel a bit of a cheat, since I hadn't really earned the money! That aside, i wouldn't exactly complain if i won...

ReputationRep:
    Depends if all the tickets are different combinations... but I'd go for the safe money.

ReputationRep:
    £25 000 isnt really that much particularly. So Id go with the tickets because its bloody intriguing about how much you could win on that amount of tickets.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for the tickets because you could, obviously, win way more than £25k; even if you didn't though, you wouldn't have lost anything and may have always wondered what would've happened if you'd chosen the tickets instead

ReputationRep:
    £25k to feed my drug habit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    tickets - im a gambler.
    Ever heard the saying "only fools bet" no?

(Original post by Scubar)
    the easy money for me, while the tickets would increase your chances by a fair amount, the chances of winning would still be roughly as high as a million to one
    what about when you factor in your odds of winning 10 pounds, 100 pounds, a thousand pounds etc.
    you would only need 5 numbers to get a few grand surely.

ReputationRep:
    on the show they have talked about high and low risk strategies for their choice of numbers. Does anybody understand how this works?

ReputationRep:
    Mathematically, it's far better to take the 25k and run because on the low risk strategy the odds of winning big are about 1 in 9, which isn't great. Maths saves the day!

ReputationRep:
    Take the tickets i mean really this day and age 25k isnt a great amount, not a life changing amount, its what more or less a years wage, defo go for the gamble !
    Or always be wondering what if !

ReputationRep:
    money
    there is a sy in my region
    one bird in your hand better than ten birds on the tree

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.