Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok guys, I've got this job over summer and I'm a bit stuck with what to do.

Its basically market research - I have to design a questionnaire, use this to contact all the company's clients and then analyse the results.

It seems a simple enough project but having never done anything of the sort before I'm a bit stuck!

The eventual outcome should be that I can analyse which of the services my company offers that the clients are using, who the major competitors are and produce results comparing things such as business type, size and geographical area. Then judging from this data to reach a conclusion as to whether eliminate some of the services offered or expand on any of them.

Asking them to show me what to do is not an option as the reason I was employed was because they were too busy to do this themselves. So basically I've been given an office, a computer with their database on (they use ACT) and a phone and told to get on with it!

Does anyone have any suggestions of how to do this? If you do it would be wonderful!

x

ReputationRep:
    I've made quite a few questionnaires for psychology and I found them to be pretty easy - but that was just college work! Hmm, what I can suggest for you (and I could be wrong) is to use closed questions (i.e. what service do you use the most? Then list the services your company offers) that can produce quantitative data which you can analyse and compare the results and then eliminate the service which has the least number... maybe?

Sorry I couldn't be much help.

ReputationRep:
    Quick tip before i go to bed! Be very careful of leading questions, its always difficult not to lead without noticing!

Al

ReputationRep:
    I've used quantitative methodologies but only for social science subjects and the public sector. I could send you some notes but I don't know how much use they would be, as they are not specific to private sector market research. (So actually this part of the post is a bit useless )

Anyway, I would suggest looking at the British Market Research Association website as a starting point. It gives an overview of data collection techniques etc. Might be of some use -

http://www.bmra.org.uk

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 11, 2005
Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.