Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know of any good brands for exhausts for cars. I'm concentrating on the ones which come in pairs and/or the single ones with a diametre of approx 8 - 10 cm.

ReputationRep:
    1.take your old exhaust off.
    2.cut the top and bottom of a lemonade bottle.
    3. paint it black/ silver.
    4. superglue it on to the back box over your original tailpipe.
    5.put exhaust back on your corsa
    6. boast to friends how you blew away subaru,s porsche,s.
    7. remember to put on a massive roof spoiler to keep the back end on the road.
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Galois- what car? if its normally aspirated then you'll lose performance by fitting a larger exhaust as the back pressure will be less.

Longlife exhausts are good and fairly reasonably priced but it depends on the franchise you use tbh....

ReputationRep:
    An back end costs £30, it takes 30 minutes to fit, so £15 labour by the time you have paid VAT etc it should lstill cost a lot less than £60. If you car needs a new back box and you can't fit one yourself avoid the quick fit type places as they charge you a fortune and the work is carried out by monkey boys, not trained machanics.

Many of the fast fit centres charge £100 plus for this.

ReputationRep:
    AT82- exhausts are a nightmare to fit yourself without a proper lift ramp as 9/10 times they'll be corroded together.

Best bet is to take it to a garage, hell, even places like national tyres are ok for exhausts. Avoid kwik fit though, they're a bunch of jokers.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ynox)
    AT82- exhausts are a nightmare to fit yourself without a proper lift ramp as 9/10 times they'll be corroded together.

Best bet is to take it to a garage, hell, even places like national tyres are ok for exhausts. Avoid kwik fit though, they're a bunch of jokers.
    Yeah I was just saying don't go to the fast fit centres that charge £100+ for a back box. As usualy the going labour rate for normal cars is £35 an hour, its a half hour job.

I know in even in the old days my dad has paid £100+ for an exhaust from the fast fit centres, never again.

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't lose back pressure as long as you leave the centre box in - if you replace that with a straight pipe to get more noise then you risk screwing up your engine.

Various brands of sport exhaust silencers come to mind - Remus, Peco, etc. Or go custom - get down to a Powerflow dealer and you can design your own system.

ReputationRep:
    iv got a drainpipe on mine....... should hear it... sounds like rick waller's stomach grumbling

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Galois)
    Does anybody know of any good brands for exhausts for cars. I'm concentrating on the ones which come in pairs and/or the single ones with a diametre of approx 8 - 10 cm.
    ...are we talking 'bling bling'?

ReputationRep:
    definitaly get something with T304 stainless, its the best and you wont have any silly rusting/aging problems and etc. Peco do good exhausts...what car is this you want a friggin 10cm dia exhaust for???? holy cows.... first get the air in to the engine before you think of getting it out... but 10cm dia is just very very chav (although I wil shut up if you tell me you drive a skyline or something with a 3lt + engine)

ReputationRep:
    ^^ I agree with that, bean-can exhaust are so chav. Subtle twin-round boxes are nice.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly it depend on the cars looks.
    Secondly, you need to assess the power output of your current vehicle.

I hate modifications personally and would only change if the need was really there. The need was certainly there for my one as I changed it for a 3.5" Scorpion. Absolutely beautiful noise and especially through tunnels. Its not chav like and is a single circular chrome exhaust that is slightly bigger than standard and does add around 3bhp to my car at revs of over 4000. The Scorpion is a quiet exhaust compared to most but a bit more aspirated than the conventional ones. A full 3.5" or 4" Magnex is a little louder and somewhat intrusive.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with walshie completely. I assume that Gaois has some little hatchback with a <1.4L engine, 1.6 MAX. There are no little bolt-ons that will create a noticable difference to performance. Doing the exhaust is almost purely for asthetic reasons. To appeal to the eye, and to the ears (I still haven't figured out how anybody can think a 4cyl can sound good. I know there are exceptions; ie Impreza, Lancer etc. The rest sound like someones raping a bumble bee). The only way you're going to get any performance out of these little cars is to either use nitrous (only really suitable if you want to drag race it), or fabricate a turbo (if there already isn't a kit for your car). Depends on your budget. Seeing that you live in London, the only racing you'll likely see is a little stop-light to stop-light action on a late night, so I'd go with a small 25-50hp shot MAX.

I've just said all this crap, I don't know if he really cares about performance, or just looks. So which is it?

ReputationRep:
    and please tell us your car..we may advise you further or laugh at you depending on this..im hoping its a beast as you want a 3 1/2 " exhaust...or if you want performance and earn money at the same time put your car on a diet and sell the bits on ebay... its true though..

ReputationRep:
    Mongoose are good exhausts... but pricey

ReputationRep:
    Well, what kind of car is it?

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.