Turn on thread page Beta

All this Kazza stuff - This may clear things up watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    First of all Kazza can easily find out who the users are. Your IP address is recorded so they can get your name and adress legally if they feel you have broken the law.

Now this is the twist, is it legal or ilegal to download copyrighted music files? Well this is what the argument currently is, some say its the music itself that is copyrighted others say its the waveform i.e the data.

But if you are just downloading files for your own personaly use it would be very difficult to them to take you to court, the courts will just laugh it out.

What is ilegal though is sharing the files with other users as this is promoting piracy. Its these people they are after.

Now there is one major problem, RIAA can get your IP address, contact your ISP etc. However once they have your address how can they proove who was using it? This can be hard. For example in house house we have 5 pcs. All them are connected a NAT router and will have the same IP address. They would have to search hard drives etc and this just gets silly.

My advice will be to be careful, use kazza if you wish but don't go setting up any warez file servers.

I personaly don't download music/videos but this not because its ilegal it is simply due to quality issues. MP3 just dosn't sound as good as CD or Vinyl to me. Also most music is cheap enough for me to buy now anyway.

So to conclude it is possible for RIAA to find out who you are etc but I would have thought it would be impossible to actually prosucute unless you sharing 10gbs+ of files.

This is just my opinion on the matter anyway. I am not a law student but I know the technology behind it all. And I also know that the majority of the material Kazza is copyrighted.

ReputationRep:
    The RIAA can't do anything to you if you're in the UK at the moment. So at the moment it's fine.
    End of story.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    The RIAA can't do anything to you if you're in the UK at the moment. So at the moment it's fine.
    End of story.
    True story.

ReputationRep:
    the RIAA suck ****

their sales are decreasing because they're pumping out ****, all this RnB and Hip-Hop from America - I can't stand it

ReputationRep:
    didn't they do the same thing when cassette recorder first came out? And the video machine. That's just whole loads of nonsense. I wonder what they going to say when DVD recorder gets lower than 80 pounds?

ReputationRep:
    i say return to grass root music production!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camford)
    didn't they do the same thing when cassette recorder first came out? And the video machine. That's just whole loads of nonsense. I wonder what they going to say when DVD recorder gets lower than 80 pounds?
    I heard something on the news that they are trying to stop the production of dvd recorders already, really when you think about it it's ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    They can't stop the sales of DVD recorders because believe it or not they have legit uses. I hardly ever use my CD writer to burn illegal stuff. Its mainly used for uni work.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.