The Student Room Group
Reply 1
lauzt
I am so bored this summer and can't wait to start uni in september. I'm sick of having nothing to do so i've decided to write a novel. I've always been quite good at english and liked writing so i thought i'd give it a shot. I know i'l probably never do anything with it and it may be a load of crap but i suppose i won't have spent the whole summer doing nothing. anyone think this is a good/ very stupid idea?

What have you got to loose go for it, or alternatively you can get a job and not be lazy! hehe :smile:
Reply 2
Yeah, you've got nothing to *lose. :wink: :p:
I was thinking about expanding on a story i wrote for this years A2 english coursework, but i cant be asked after tasting the addictive flavour of freedom.

It's true that u have nothing to lose, why not write a story about you now for the future, or a story for a younger member of the family...or whatever, just enjoy doing it if you do decide to write one. Good luck with it if you do :smile:
Reply 4
even if it's a load of crap and never gets published, later works could be successful. then, works from earlier on in your career could be more valuable and in greater demand.
Wow... good idea...

I could TOTALLY give it a go :biggrin:
SW
Wow... good idea...

I could TOTALLY give it a go :biggrin:

You TOTALLY have to read mine! (I got to the end of Chapter 1 a few days ago, haven't done anything since :rofl: )
HearTheThunder
You TOTALLY have to read mine! (I got to the end of Chapter 1 a few days ago, haven't done anything since :rofl: )
PM PM PM PM PM :biggrin:

WooP!! :biggrin:

[it better be good though, don't have time for crap stories!! :p:]
Reply 8
Go for it, dude; sounds like a really constructive thing to do. :smile:
Reply 9
i thought that a few summers ago.
then i ended up bumming about all summer

jeez man, just go get wasted/stoned

DISCLAIMER: (to avoid post deletion) NOT the views of TSR
Reply 10
DISCLAIMER: (to avoid post deletion) NOT the views of TSR

lol!
I think it's a good idea! Make sure you get further than I did. I was going to write a novel. I wrote about 3 pages and got sick of it.
Anyway you have nothing to lose, and it will keep you from boredom.
Good luck! :smile:
lauzt
I am so bored this summer and can't wait to start uni in september. I'm sick of having nothing to do so i've decided to write a novel. I've always been quite good at english and liked writing so i thought i'd give it a shot. I know i'l probably never do anything with it and it may be a load of crap but i suppose i won't have spent the whole summer doing nothing. anyone think this is a good/ very stupid idea?

And you could learn a language. like french :smile:
lauzt

http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/french/grammar/
Reply 14
Waterstones has got a competition on for writing a childrens/teen novel. Prize is the book being published by faber and faber and a whole lot of cash. Deadline is july 31st, and full stories have to be in by september sometime.
Check instore for an application form.
Reply 15
philip2004
And you could learn a language. like french :smile:

Exactly what i though, learning a new language is more constructive than writing a novel in my opinion, it also makes you feel really good when you feel you're really getting somewhere with a new language :smile:
I did that once when I was 10 - I was depressed about coming home from holiday. And then again twice when I was 12. Looking back on them, they were dire; I still have them but I hide them under my bed away from human eyes :embarasse
A couple of times i told myself that i would write something substantial, a novel or something, but then i didn't listen to what i told myself, and ended up getting another drink or something, so i'm not much help.
Reply 18
I wrote one between 5th and final year at school. Got it up to about 40000 words. Was okay really. In my head there are two big sci-fi epics rolling around, but they're proving tricky to get out. Just don't have the time or inclination to write right now - damnable PhD and university. Still love writing, when I really get it out, but sitting at a computer all day coding means that when I sit infront of one at home, I's somewhat sapped of all inspiration.

Have a go at it, if you enjoy writing, it's fun.
Reply 19
zhivago
lol!

yeah theyve been a bit sniffy about drug references before. :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending