Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi friends,

looking for a bit of advice. i have completed MSc in Financial Economics at Cardiff University and hope to pursue a MLitt at Oxford University. I have been adviced to select the colleges in my application based on their intake in the economics field. The logic seems to be that the more no of fellows in the field the college has the higher is the intake and the greater is the chance. Should that be the criteria? If so how can i get hold of this information? I am currently looking at Nuffield, St Catherines, Queens and Green (in this order). I have now been told that Balliol is good for economics....any advice???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by merwah)
    hi friends,

looking for a bit of advice. i have completed MSc in Financial Economics at Cardiff University and hope to pursue a MLitt at Oxford University. I have been adviced to select the colleges in my application based on their intake in the economics field. The logic seems to be that the more no of fellows in the field the college has the higher is the intake and the greater is the chance. Should that be the criteria? If so how can i get hold of this information? I am currently looking at Nuffield, St Catherines, Queens and Green (in this order). I have now been told that Balliol is good for economics....any advice???
    sorry i have no idea!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    hi friends,

For graduate students college selection isn't really that important as you would be accepted primarily by the faculty who then find you a place in a college. Therefore although you can name preferences i don't think your choices affect your chances of acceptance. But I could be wrong.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    hi friends,

If you get accepted you WILL get accepted be A college. You may not get the college(s) of your choice however. And yes, some colleges are harder to get into than others. Nuffied would be the most prestigious college and easily the most difficult to get into, no denying that. Then, after that, the prestigious undergrad. ones, i.e. Christ Church springs to mind. However, you ought to just apply to the top, if you don't get them, then you will get a place elsewhere.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.