Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    When should one become totally independent? 16, 17, 18...Older? To what age do parents have the responsibility of raising their child? Providing for their child? Is the offspring still a child until 18? Or are they "adult" by 16, 17? Ought a 16/17 y/o just get a job and look after themselves? Would one qualify for EMA if they studied fully but did not live w/parents? Do most parents help after 18 or what? What's normal?

Oh, and what about student loans? They're based on parental income..What if one lives alone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    When should one become totally independent? 16, 17, 18...Older? To what age do parents have the responsibility of raising their child? Providing for their child? Is the offspring still a child until 18? Or are they "adult" by 16, 17? Ought a 16/17 y/o just get a job and look after themselves? Would one qualify for EMA if they studied fully but did not live w/parents? Do most parents help after 18 or what? What's normal?

Oh, and what about student loans? They're based on parental income..What if one lives alone?
    When the child is ready not the parents! They brought you into the world so should wait until you feel ready to move out (if ever)

ReputationRep:

The family pissing you off?

ReputationRep:
    Become independent by about 16, but stay at your parent's house for as long as poss tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Become independent by about 16, but stay at your parent's house for as long as poss tbh.
    Free food, free washing, free tele! Everything's FREE. Why would you wanna leave? Find a rich spouse before you move out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhivago)
    Find a rich spouse before you move out!
    Ah, nice idea but...

1. Where would you find one?
    2. It's no good being dependent on ANYONE.

ReputationRep:
    That's why it sucks when you get old...someone else has to wipe your bum...

ReputationRep:
    That's why it sucks when you get old...someone else has to wipe your bum...
    Live fast, die young. Solved. :P

ReputationRep:
    i'm 22 and live at home working full time. although i was in between jobs so i payed no rent for a while. but buy my own food. i like to do my own washing

ReputationRep:
    Live fast, die young. Solved. :P
    But then you lose whole chunks of history.

But in answer to your question: as soon as possible.

ReputationRep:
    Free food, free washing, free tele! Everything's FREE. Why would you wanna leave? Find a rich spouse before you move out!
    Surely that depends on the parents. Not everyone's parents are quite so accommodating.

And maybe that's a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    When should one become totally independent? When the parents feel they should start paying there way. In our house it was when you left full time education but if you had a part time job 10% of your wages went to mum.
    To what age do parents have the responsibility of raising their child? Children are your responsibility for life but otherwise you still depend on your parents till your early 20's whether its money wise or just advise and support.
    Is the offspring still a child until 18? Yes but less so when they turn 16 you have to loosed the reins a bit after GCSEs.
    Ought a 16/17 y/o just get a job and look after themselves? My parenst stop giving us money when we were 14 and we had to work to go out and buy clothes-I'll do the same to my childdren too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frost105)
    When should one become totally independent? When the parents feel they should start paying there way. In our house it was when you left full time education but if you had a part time job 10% of your wages went to mum.
    To what age do parents have the responsibility of raising their child? Children are your responsibility for life but otherwise you still depend on your parents till your early 20's whether its money wise or just advise and support.
    Is the offspring still a child until 18? Yes but less so when they turn 16 you have to loosed the reins a bit after GCSEs.
    Ought a 16/17 y/o just get a job and look after themselves? My parenst stop giving us money when we were 14 and we had to work to go out and buy clothes-I'll do the same to my childdren too.
    wow.....your mum nice....

erm i would say when youve got a job, are learning/can drive and have enough money to support yourself. thats what my sister said to me, she said as soons as your 17 get your provisional licence so you odnt have to rely on anyone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gossip_girl)
    wow.....your mum nice....
    Nothing to do with nice. My mum kept me in an expensive uniform and didnt move till I finished my a-levels so I could stay in a good school. She worked 60 hours a week just to pay the bills and mortgage so overall we had to pay out for stuff we wanted. Its all about respect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frost105)
    Nothing to do with nice. My mum kept me in an expensive uniform and didnt move till I finished my a-levels so I could stay in a good school. She worked 60 hours a week just to pay the bills and mortgage so overall we had to pay out for stuff we wanted. Its all about respect.
    wow, thats alot. can i ask if shes a single mum?

ReputationRep:
    Well, if i could have afforded to move out, i would have done so a couple of years ago, but its all down to what someone wants to do in life. I'm living at home now, while studying at uni, and i can't afford to live away from home (as my parents wouldn't help me out at all, i'm sure, and the student loan gives you less a week than a basic state pension, which so many people moan about being so low and stuff... i'll stop ranting and get back to the point), so i'll stay living at home until i finish uni, and maybe have been in work a few months, to get some money to start myself off with, then i'll move. I don't think someone has the right to live at home when they can support themselves reasonably well, under most circumstances, but again, if people get on well with their parents, why not live at home?

Their responsibility, IIRC (don't quote me...), lasts until the child is 18, or for as long as they are in full-time education, whichever is longer.

Yes, you'd get EMA, but you'd have bugger-all chance of living off it. I've thought about this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2 + 2 = 5)
    Their responsibility, IIRC (don't quote me...), lasts until the child is 18, or for as long as they are in full-time education, whichever is longer.

Yes, you'd get EMA, but you'd have bugger-all chance of living off it. I've thought about this.
    On top of EMA - youd get Income Support and wouldnt have to pay council tax, water is free aswell I think.

(Original post by deej2)
    water is free aswell I think.
    Really? Well, that's sorted it for me. Water bills were always my greatest worry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deej2)
    On top of EMA - youd get Income Support and wouldnt have to pay council tax, water is free aswell I think.
    my sister was telling me that when your a single mum you get loads of stuff free, like you odnt have to pay rent, or water and tax and stuff like that, they give you child benifit and other money, so in the end all you end up paying for is your bills and something else.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.