Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Who's a receptionist?

I've recently been given the position of casual receptionist at a major institution of sport in the city where I live at for uni :elefant:

Training starts on the 18th, should be interesting. However, it will mean less time on here, seeing as I'll be at uni full-time still.

Who else does reception work?? Do you like it, what are your experiences? I've just changed from being a part-time waitress to this, so this could be interesting.

Yeah, still on the books for that promo agency, for those who were asking, it's good fun too! I'll prolly get less shifts for that b/c of this new reception jobs though.

DB_x

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I dont do reception work at the moment but I have done it in the past. I also did waitressing and bar work like you before I changed to reception work, and although it was a bit of a change (i.e. being able to sit down for a change instead of being on your feet all day!!), I soon got used to it. I quite like it, I suppose it all depends on the place where you work. There have been a few occassions where Ive had to deal with irrate people both over the phone and in person, but I suppose you could get that with any job really! Hope it all goes well for you, enjoy it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Em.)
    Hi

I dont do reception work at the moment but I have done it in the past. I also did waitressing and bar work like you before I changed to reception work, and although it was a bit of a change (i.e. being able to sit down for a change instead of being on your feet all day!!), I soon got used to it. I quite like it, I suppose it all depends on the place where you work. There have been a few occassions where Ive had to deal with irrate people both over the phone and in person, but I suppose you could get that with any job really! Hope it all goes well for you, enjoy it!
    Cool, thanks for the info! Yeah I start next Monday, so I'm pretty nervous, but then there's gonna be a group of us anyway :rolleyes: or at least 3 from what I know.

Heh I was thinking that too, I hope I get along with the people I work with, but you know what I heard the other day? Forget the people, my minds on all the athletes - Ian Thorpe, Geogie Clarke, Cathy Freeman - they're presense isn't all that rare in the vicinity *apparently* so I'm pretty exited!

Lol soz I know I shouldn't focus on that Well so far I know that the people (who I'll have to work with) there are pretty easy going, but yeah I've yet to find out what they're really like :eek:

DB_x

ReputationRep:
    I did reception work in Student Services in a Further Education college for quite a large amount of my gap year and it was definitely a good experience. I was answering the phone, connecting calls, taking bookings for all sorts of courses, booking appointments for various advisers, writing letters and so on. It was quite varied, which was good, especially when it was busy. I had some very difficult customers, but some very nice ones too. Most important thing is to smile, and smile when you answer the phone as well!

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    I did reception work in Student Services in a Further Education college for quite a large amount of my gap year and it was definitely a good experience. I was answering the phone, connecting calls, taking bookings for all sorts of courses, booking appointments for various advisers, writing letters and so on. It was quite varied, which was good, especially when it was busy. I had some very difficult customers, but some very nice ones too. Most important thing is to smile, and smile when you answer the phone as well!

Good luck!
    Thanks! Yeah I start in two days Smile over the phone heh - I suppose you can tell over the other side of the line by the tone of your voice, so I can see where you're coming from.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.