Turn on thread page Beta

The morality of piracy watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zizero)
    So is stealing from record companies right just because they are rich? And what about the artists?
    I think you missed his point there, it's the equivalent of dubbing off the radio or a freinds cd, have you never done that?

Firstly, yes I run kazaa.

But lets not be under any illusions as to what we're doing. We are stealing, and is it wrong to steal? Well, ask the question, who are you hurting by downloading what you download? The record companys? Nope, there doing better than most third world countries The artists? The artists whose music I download are not doing so badly.

It's not right or wrong, it simply is what you belive it is. Why do we need to discuss it? Just make you're choice to do it or not.

ReputationRep:
    Download all you want most people are still buying CDs according to latest figures. However its people I that download stuff on the net, stick it on a CD and sell it on. These are people that need to be cought and locked up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Download all you want most people are still buying CDs according to latest figures. However its people I that download stuff on the net, stick it on a CD and sell it on. These are people that need to be cought and locked up.
    Exactly!

ReputationRep:
    What if they use it for personal consumption?

ReputationRep:
    I think it all comes down to a philosophical problem: Do we base ethics on the consequences of our actions or in the actions themselves?

Those who illegally acquire music from the internet argue that their actions are not immoral, because they don't make much of a change anyway, since the people they deprive of money don't really need it and have too much anyway.

On the other hand, you could say that stealing is in itself wrong nevermind the consequences.

I do realize that we will never reach a consensus on the issue if can't find our way out of this philosophical question, since it is so controversial.

So I propose the following: If you base ethics on the actions themselves, piracy is wrong anyway.

If you base ethics on the consequences of your actions, at first sight piracy may not be immoral.
    However, consider this: Piracy is illegal. If you break the law, you put yourself beyond the legal system and you basically attack the structure of society through your actions. Doesn't that have negative consequences? Isn't piracy hence in any case immoral?

(Original post by G4ry)
    What if they use it for personal consumption?
    Well now, then that wouldn't be selling it on now, would it. That would be using it for personal consumption.

ReputationRep:
    So what if we attack society through our actions? I can't see any negative effects. Society is in a right state it needs a kick in the right direction, there's so much wrong with it. So the answer is no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roseonthegrave)
    Well now, then that wouldn't be selling it on now, would it. That would be using it for personal consumption.
    ok, so what if i make a copy of a CD for a friend free of charge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    Sure, but i don't. It's how you define stealing though. Stealing from an old lady i wouldn't do, stealing from a huge faceless corporation or a bank is fine.
    i don't know i'm not sure if its stealing or not anyway i don't download anything from there

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who does that. He's called............ G.

ReputationRep:
    notice that the only people that really have a problem with file sharing is the music companies. these "middle (wom)men" kick up a fuss cus they make HUGE profits out of hard working musicians. if you asked bands themselves a lot of them would be ok with file sharing in principle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    notice that the only people that really have a problem with file sharing is the music companies. these "middle (wom)men" kick up a fuss cus they make HUGE profits out of hard working musicians. if you asked bands themselves a lot of them would be ok with file sharing in principle.
    yes, don't they just want more people to be able to hear their music?

because fans = support = people who go to gigs

ReputationRep:
    Bands make most of their money from concerts not from record sales.

There is a big difference in downloading music and stealing a CD. When you download music You are taking the song, the actual music. If you steal a CD it is someones property, thus you are STEALING. downloading///stealing there is a huge difference.

ReputationRep:
    But the bands would just say by downloading their stuff you are steeling their interlectual property. I know what you mean though stealing a CD and downloading somthing is a totaly different thing.

As for question what if you make a CD to give some body else? Well if youy don't charge for it then I guess its still for personal use.

ReputationRep:
    if somebody has the data and makes it available on the net, ie uploads music, it is their choice to do so, They own that copy of the cd, and if they want to give it to other people, it is their choice. I wouldn't mind paying for music if it wasm't so extortionately priced. *******s is an album worth £10. The band will see about 5% of that anyway. As for 'artists' used in the lossest possible way, such as sean paul and the cheekey girls and crap like that, they don't deserve any money for what they produce. No one downloads that anyway, it is only teenyboppers, and stupid people with no taste who buy their 'music'. Therefore they have no right to complain.
    As it is it is so quick, easy and cheap to download music, so why not?

ReputationRep:
    The way I see it, I don't plan on buying any new songs on CD, so I may as well download it (as it's available). I'm not stealing anything because the company is not loosing money as a result of my actions.

ReputationRep:
    As for question what if you make a CD to give some body else? Well if youy don't charge for it then I guess its still for personal use.
    Sorry to bring this thread up again. So if you make a CD for someone else and don't charge them it's ok. But what if you make them the CD and charge them 25p the same price that you paid for the CD, is that right?

P.s Fish, if you were inferring i do copies and sell them down the market/
    schools etc. You're wrong, i don't. It's not worth the risk.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.