Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    You always hear this cliche bounded about but is it really true?

I guess you can answer this once you have been at school for a good few years but better if you've left.

For me, because of my attitude towards school (ie it was a place to learn but I made friends and had good times along the way), I had a good time but it could have been better.

Therefore I think (hope!) that I will have better times in my life than my school days - I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy them; I didnt get bullied or anything, but they served their purpose and hopefully the good qualifications it gave me will make for better times in the future.

Your views and why?

ReputationRep:
    my late school years were crap. friends wise -ok, but school-wise it was rubbish (teachers mainly). maybe im bein harsh, and hope too that next year will be better. i think that when i look back i will regret having this view

ReputationRep:
    i always thought its uni thats supposed to be the best time of your life ( if you go) and always here that thats whre you make your life long friends.

To b e honest i find that depressing bcoz of the fantastic friends that i have now! /

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the person. Definitely not the best years of my life. I don't like being stuck with the same people for years, who in childish fashion, bully and tease, too much teenage angst, always a popularity contest :rolleyes: Also being looked down on by teachers merely due to your age, and pedantisism regarding school rules. (only one ring not two!)

ReputationRep:
    for me, school was the worst period of my life so far, up until year 10. i spent my whole time at primary school only known as the short girl, with only 4 friends, even my cousin hated me. then the first 3 years of secondary were even worse, as my only four friends threw me out of their friendship group. i am quite a shy person so find it relatively hard to make friends. At one point, I gave up trying to make friends, I was just seen as desperate. Luckily in year 9, I made friends with a really lovely girl (I am still friends with her now) and she introduced me to her group of friends. From that moment on, I was a different person-I had friends!!!! For me, college has been the best days of my ife, because I know who I am and concentrate on just being me. That is my basis for having fun!

ReputationRep:
    Looking back on school, I think one reason it was better is because you have less to worry about (i.e. buying food, paying bills) and it gets so much more complicated afterwards. But also, you have more freedom and independence after school, and you don't have to put up with school's sometimes ridiculous restrictions and rules. I didn't like school very much as most of my year were idiots locked in a popularity contest and I had a very select group of friends, whereas at uni I get on with everyone and everyone is just really nice in general.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I believe they are the best years of your young life! Mine has been made good by the great friends I have, I've been lucky because they share the same values and are not into all the "popular" crap! However, in the next stage of my life, I think university will be the next best years of my life!!

ReputationRep:
    I enjoyed primary school, hated secondary school. I'm geared up for university being the best days of my life.

ReputationRep:
    I liked school from primary to sixth form. I really going to miss it (everyone will).

ReputationRep:
    I cant say i particularly enjoy school a lot but when i leave 6th form i probably wont know what i had until its gone.

I think the best days are still to come, childhood is good in some ways but a lot is missing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *starry_eyed_*)
    for me, school was the worst period of my life so far, up until year 10. i spent my whole time at primary school only known as the short girl, with only 4 friends, even my cousin hated me. then the first 3 years of secondary were even worse, as my only four friends threw me out of their friendship group. i am quite a shy person so find it relatively hard to make friends. At one point, I gave up trying to make friends, I was just seen as desperate. Luckily in year 9, I made friends with a really lovely girl (I am still friends with her now) and she introduced me to her group of friends. From that moment on, I was a different person-I had friends!!!! For me, college has been the best days of my ife, because I know who I am and concentrate on just being me. That is my basis for having fun!
    Sort of the opposite for me! Up until year 10 I was the "class clown" - friendly with everyone and always the one you can count on to do a dare and whatnot (out till 1am on school nights as well, it was gettin' quite bad)... Sorted myself out though and put work before friends. I've still got lots of friends but definitely a turn for the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Markus)
    I cant say i particularly enjoy school a lot but when i leave 6th form i probably wont know what i had until its gone.

I think the best days are still to come, childhood is good in some ways but a lot is missing.
    Definitely. I agree totally with you there mate.

ReputationRep:
    I hated school, because everyone there pretty much hated me... it was the same at college, and is the same at uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eru)
    I hated school, because everyone there pretty much hated me... it was the same at college, and is the same at uni.
    :O People don't just hate without reason (mostly they don't anyway). You must be doing something very wrong then. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whizz Kid)
    :O People don't just hate without reason (mostly they don't anyway). You must be doing something very wrong then. :eek:
    Well i'd like to know what i had done if i had. I mean, i'm rather a quiet person, but i'm not a nasty person, or a rude person or anything... people just generally don't seem to like me.

ReputationRep:
    I got bullied in years 7-9. But after that I had a great time. I made some great friends and I made sure I had a good laugh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eru)
    Well i'd like to know what i had done if i had. I mean, i'm rather a quiet person, but i'm not a nasty person, or a rude person or anything... people just generally don't seem to like me.
    I can see how that might affect you at Uni. There is nothing wrong with being introvert and keeping your self to yourself, but at Uni alot of people want to be friends with charismatic, funny, extroverts who will be good support at that very delicate and important time in their lives. However there are always people looking for different characteristics in friends, and of course there will be people looking for less bubbly people, like you? I can only hazard a guess and say you're not confident enough and people see that as a weakness in you, thus, feel you might not be a good friend? I don't know really. But I can't see why people would hate you just because you're quiet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whizz Kid)
    I can see how that might affect you at Uni. There is nothing wrong with being introvert and keeping your self to yourself, but at Uni alot of people want to be friends with charismatic, funny, extroverts who will be good support at that very delicate and important time in their lives. However there are always people looking for different characteristics in friends, and of course there will be people looking for less bubbly people, like you? I can only hazard a guess and say you're not confident enough and people see that as a weakness in you, thus, feel you might not be a good friend? I don't know really. But I can't see why people would hate you just because you're quiet.
    Well yeah, i know that about uni, which is a problem i suppose, but i don't think anyone on the course is particularly outgoing or anything, mainly because its a business course really, but anyway...

Yeah, i've got pretty much 0 self confidence which doesn't help i'm sure, but thats because people don't seem to like me (at least, in part, theres lots of other reasons, but i won't go into them). But i don't know why it is either, to be honest, its not like there aren't people like me at uni (well, not like me, i'm rather... odd alot of the time, but i mean quiet people and stuff), and they seem to all get on okay, so theres something wrong with me i'm sure.

ReputationRep:
    School was pretty awesome, enjoyed most of it. I dont know if they were the best days of my life because Ive only just left that era of my life so I dont know whats ahead of me. I reckon after uni things will be more stressful with buying houses/having jobs/getting married etc but I intend to make those days just as good as my school days

ReputationRep:
    I've not particularly liked school, I had some good friends through Year 9-11 but because most of them (all bar 2) left and I am painfully shy I've struggled to make new friends. So I had an okay time through most of high school but other than those 3 years my shyness has made me unhappy.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.