Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eru)
    Well yeah, i know that about uni, which is a problem i suppose, but i don't think anyone on the course is particularly outgoing or anything, mainly because its a business course really, but anyway...

Yeah, i've got pretty much 0 self confidence which doesn't help i'm sure, but thats because people don't seem to like me (at least, in part, theres lots of other reasons, but i won't go into them). But i don't know why it is either, to be honest, its not like there aren't people like me at uni (well, not like me, i'm rather... odd alot of the time, but i mean quiet people and stuff), and they seem to all get on okay, so theres something wrong with me i'm sure.
    I can understand what you say. There was a time in my life when I was very self-concious and wary (just after I'd broken up with a girlfriend) - and it is hard sometimes. I can't tell you how to be more confident because you have your own reasons and different things work for different people. I suppose I've always been around people and have good social skills, so it is more natural for me.
    Are you extreme in anything you do? i.e. dressing like a goth/satanist? Many people at my school get bullied because they dress like "grundgers". If you are fairly normal - so to speak, in what you wear and do etc, then maybe it's something less obvious - do you smell? have any bad habits?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whizz Kid)
    I can understand what you say. There was a time in my life when I was very self-concious and wary (just after I'd broken up with a girlfriend) - and it is hard sometimes. I can't tell you how to be more confident because you have your own reasons and different things work for different people. I suppose I've always been around people and have good social skills, so it is more natural for me.
    Are you extreme in anything you do? i.e. dressing like a goth/satanist? Many people at my school get bullied because they dress like "grundgers". If you are fairly normal - so to speak, in what you wear and do etc, then maybe it's something less obvious - do you smell? have any bad habits?
    I wouldn't say extreme, but i'm not always the same as myself. Sometimes i go in with a long leather jacket, fairly dark clothes, sort of goth look, but not quite, no make up or pointyness or anything, but most of the time i wear bright shirts, usually a hat or a headscalf/band combo thing, not extreme, just not too normal either.
    I don't smell AFAIK. I wash, and use deodorant and stuff, so i shouldn't do. I don't think i have any bad habits, not very big ones anyway, which would put people of wholesale from having anything to do with me.

ReputationRep:
    I think people say school was the best time of your life because you don't have the responsibilties and pressures of being an adult. You don't have to worry about bills, debt, mortgages and a job. But I think there is alot missing being in school, certainly not the best time of my life. Even if the problems I had disappear into insignificane when I'm taking care of myself I think I'll always appreciate how hard it was at the time. Most adults can cope with their pressures but at school I've felt unable to cope at times, even if the pressures don't rate that high for an adult.

I think taking on the opinion it was the best time of your life mainly depends on whether you felt part of anything at school. I think those who felt part of a community at school would say that, but for the rest of us, the best is still to come!

(Original post by Summer of 69)
    Standin' on your mama's porch
    You told me that you'd wait forever
    Oh and when you held my hand
    I knew that it was now or never
    Those were the best days of my life
    :flute:

Hmm... sorry about that. Rightey oh, yes... back on track...

As it is, I think I'll have a better time at uni, travelling, whatever, because I haven't had an easy schooling. It never is when you move to a new school halfway through your education - friendships to break into, yada yada. I do think that once you reach 6th Form (or thereabouts) the social life becomes easier, bigger an a lot moer fun. Instead of sneaking grog in drinking until wasted in a field, you can go to pubs, bars, clubs et al. It's not all about the alcohol and legal age limits either, people will have matured by this stage and are often a lot more interesting and fun to talk to and be around. As of yet they've been the best days of my life, but then I can't compare with anything I'll do in the future, for obvious reasons.

ReputationRep:
    secondary school = worset days of my life

college is fun tho... i don't speak to any one there.

ReputationRep:
    Here's what my mum's lovely friend told me:

Louise: "You're so lucky, you know. They tell you that your schooldays are meant to be the best days of your life, but really that's just a way of adults annoying their children. You'll get to university and have a fantastic three years, and then you'll graduate and you'll feel sad because it's over. But then you'll soon realise that your twenties are even better than your university years, because you're truly independent and you can start making your own way in life, finding your own place, seeing your own friends, and being a proper adult. Then you'll get a little bit sad when you hit thirty, because your twenties are over, but then it won't take you long to realise that your thirties are even better than your twenties. It's great!"

I hope she was right.

ReputationRep:
    I'm beginning to realise why I think now that I've left school, life will get so much better.

At Uni, you're going to have the drunkenness, the being away from home, independence etc and thats going to be great, but then.....

Once you go into the world of work, people will see you more on a level regardless of age and the type of person I am, I see myself as quite mature and sensible for my age (perhaps too sensible at times) and therefore I think I'm going to relish the challenges of adulthood - It may sound sad but things like the practicalities of buying a house and commuting really appeal to me.

I think in some ways school has held me back, yet I realise everyone has to go through it so why not enjoy it while you can. Now that I have left school, I think that the next few years are going to be pretty mad, with me trying to get to where I think I should be rather than where my school allows me to be.

My school has allowed me to fulfil my potential (I hope!) but not much more. Its that little bit more in life that I am looking for, probably because I have two older brothers and see a lot of things they do/have done which I want to do, and, being impatient, I dont want to have to wait until I am told I can do these things.

Sorry if this has gone on, but its good to write things like this down.

ReputationRep:
    I've enjoyed school. Year 11 has to have been the best year ever! Years 12 and 13, had a couple of teachers who couldn't be bothered, who were more interested in cancelling the lessons! Can't say whether they were the best days or not, since I only finished A Levels a few weeks ago, got 2 job interviews coming up, after a few months of working full time, I'm sure I will be able to answer the question better.

ReputationRep:
    Trust me, I wanted year 11 to last forever, but it gets a lot better.

ReputationRep:
    School was great until Year 10, but after that it was sh*t and I am so glad to have left, at last.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure you can really be qualified to make that decision until you've liived longer than most of us - how can someone judge when the best days of thier lives were until they've got something to compare with?
    Personally though, I'm hoping uni is better than school! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    ahhh ****, i am so happy gcses are finished.

ReputationRep:
    I hate school, not the lessons but the people there- I have been at the same one since I was 10 so I've known these people a long time but I have no real close friends, just people I can pass time with. I hate the control our sixth form has over us and I simply can't wait to leave.
    So for me, school days are (hopefully) not the best of my life!

ReputationRep:
    I really hope to God these aren't the best years of my life................:p: no seriously, i've heard that uni is better...

ReputationRep:
    Didn't think of school that much when I left but looking back it was pretty decent.

ReputationRep:
    Its not so much school i dislike, more the living with my parents. Freedom is in short supply.

btw, 'god86' like your username. The monotheists will not be pleased :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by God86)
    You always hear this cliche bounded about but is it really true?

I guess you can answer this once you have been at school for a good few years but better if you've left.

For me, because of my attitude towards school (ie it was a place to learn but I made friends and had good times along the way), I had a good time but it could have been better.

Therefore I think (hope!) that I will have better times in my life than my school days - I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy them; I didnt get bullied or anything, but they served their purpose and hopefully the good qualifications it gave me will make for better times in the future.

Your views and why?
    so far the best life has been college...
    i can't wait for uni...

ReputationRep:
    Not a chance!

School blew the big one! There are much better things to look forward to!

ReputationRep:
    Ok let me define this properly: School = Best days of your student part of your life because the exams are the easiest. Simple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HearTheThunder)
    Ok let me define this properly: School = Best days of your student part of your life because the exams are the easiest. Simple.
    I disagree with that...at uni, the lifestyle seems much more suited to people of our age, going out, having a great time with friends, meeting new people and not having to be in lectures at 8:30am EVERY morning the next day, and staying there until 4. I just think that freedom comes with harder stuff, so you have to find the right balance therefore maybe for some people A Levels are the best time, but for me...they suck big time

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.