Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I got an email asking if I wanted to earn money doing online surveys. I've done this before and made about £3 answering a few questions. Easy money but not exactly a lot, and not regular. Anyway, this one is for students. It wants me to pay $30 to join but says I can make $600-$900 a week. There are stories off other students on there saying they made money. What do you reckon? It went to my uni address which I don't give out to anything. The only place that would have it is the uni careers service.

ReputationRep:
    Anything that asks you for money to make more money is usually a con.

Don't touch it with a very long stick, imo..
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Does it look like it coul have come from someone the university could have given yuor address to or from someone within the universoty?

If not, then ignore it. It is possible to mass email the university I think so that certain email addresses at the university recieve a junk email. Look at who else recieved the email. I know I've recieved junk emails at my university address which had been sent to a couple od dozen address all of which were very simialr tom mine.

Anyhow, I wouldn't join up to anything like this which requires money to be paid up front unless I'd perpously gone lookingfor information to join up to something like this in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    $600 - $900 is a lot to be paying out for a bunch of surveys, they're is definately a catch of course, usually i wouldnt touch these things, i only stick with the things i trust on the net and never click on popups because they will either contain viruses or install something on your pc without you knowing it (spyware)

Because it says your uni address i dont know, if things like that have written accounts of other people using it then dont always trust it, they could have easily written it themselves in a ploy to make people trust them. These things are always out to make money.

ReputationRep:
    its a con... trust me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jdre86)
    its a con... trust me
    Not all of thme are but most, i just say be wary of it, dont jump in to something because you think its a good deal.

ReputationRep:
    There are similar schemes that are genuine, such as the one (can't remember the name) that gives you Amazon vouchers, but that doesn't ask you to pay anything. I'd avoid this one.

ReputationRep:
    NO! Don't pay them!

ReputationRep:
    If they tell you that you need to pay them, its a scam.
    Most of the ones that you don't pay for are genuine, but have small returns.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eru)
    If they tell you that you need to pay them, its a scam.
    Most of the ones that you don't pay for are genuine, but have small returns.
    Yeah or they take a percentage of what you earned out of doing the survey. You dont usually pay a lump sum to join up, you shouldnt need a membership.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I'd be dubious personally.

However while we're on the subject of these things I can vouch for http://www.thestudentpanel.co.uk - we've bought survey information from them in the past and they're incredibly professional.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, they're the ones who give you Amazon vouchers

ReputationRep:
    Its also in dollars... so I would be very dubious indeed because anyone who's dealing with people in this country would probably use £££. Sounds like bulk email to me. Leave it well alone. Remember the golden rule... if its too good to be true, its probably a scam. Not worth the risk.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    There are hundreds of survey sites that are free to join. If I can be bothered, I will link you to my post about them, or you can search yourself. You won't make a fortune, but now I normally about 3 surveys a day from all my sites.

ReputationRep:
    How often do you get surveys with The Student Panel?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Dougie)
    Very regularly at first. Then when you get near to the payout amount they stop completely.

ReputationRep:
    I signed up in October and since then I've only been offered two surveys - each worth £1
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    It depends on who is paying them for surveys and how many other people are signed up from your uni/region/subject....they have a mix that's supposed to match general distribution of all students - so if you go to a small ish uni but loads of other people from that uni are signed up then your chances of getting lots of surveys are slim.

ReputationRep:
    That one that Lauren posted sounds well dodgy. Only answer surveys for companies that are registered with the Market Research Society - people like Ipsos, NOP, etc. I've done a couple of focus groups in the past and they pay well (turn up for a couple of hours to get interviewed and have a group discussion about something that's videotaped and you get about £50 for it - sometimes more).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    I'd be dubious personally.

However while we're on the subject of these things I can vouch for http://www.thestudentpanel.co.uk - we've bought survey information from them in the past and they're incredibly professional.
    Grrr...you have to have a uni account to register- therefore only uni students can join

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.