Turn on thread page Beta

prejudice against oxford and cambridge students watch

ReputationRep:
    Im just wondering as a non O/C student why so many TSR members just turn on people becasue they go there. Is it jealousy?

ReputationRep:
    Most likely, the attacks I have seen O/C students get border on inhumane and viscous.

ReputationRep:
    Probably. My college put pressure on me to withdraw my application to Cambridge after I went to an Open Day and made it clear I didn't want to go there. I'm not really resentful towards Cambridge though - just towards my college :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prad)
    Probably. My college put pressure on me to withdraw my application to Cambridge after I went to an Open Day and made it clear I didn't want to go there. I'm not really resentful towards Cambridge though - just towards my college :p:
    how did you make it clear? i hope you did not go around saying oxford brookes was better

ReputationRep:
    No - the college I went to has a list of students who they tell they should apply to Oxbridge.. and then they pressure you like hell to apply there. They use the number of students who go to Oxbridge in their adverts for the college. I told them that I wasn't interested in going to Cambridge and that I want to go to Portsmouth - they weren't too impressed with me..

Anyways - they told me to withdraw my application. Apparently if I'd have got a place and rejected them, Oxbridge don't favour the college very much in the following year, and applicants to Oxbridge are mysteriously less sucessful..

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes: well thats unfair but still why do people hate oxbridge students?

(Original post by trigger)
    Im just wondering as a non O/C student why so many TSR members just turn on people becasue they go there. Is it jealousy?
    All Oxford students turn me on...

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes: well thats unfair but still why do people hate oxbridge students?
    I think its just pure jealousy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2 + 2 = 5)
    All Oxford students turn me on...
    if your not going to post anything relevant bugger off

ReputationRep:
    To explain it simply, some people are idiots. Some people have nothing better to do than pick on people just because they go to oxbridge uni's.

However, some (and that some is only a very small minority), bring it upon themselves by boasting, and generally acting superior to those who aren't.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't experienced this - can someone highlight examples please.

MB

if your not going to post anything relevant bugger off
    Hey, it was a reply to the sentence you typed. If it didn't mean what you wanted it to mean, edit it.

ReputationRep:
    what do you think the search function is for musicbloke :rolleyes: learn to use whats in your head.

ReputationRep:
    here this rach something or other has just insulted the girl in question fior no reason other then she is an oxbridge student

ReputationRep:
    here this rach something or other has just insulted the girl in question fior no reason other then she is an oxbridge student
    Actually, that particular girl puts people's backs up A LOT.

ReputationRep:
    how so?

ReputationRep:
    In a lot of threads she just comes across as pretty unpleasant. The thing is, I know I said something very similar to the comment that other girl made a couple of days ago, to the same girl. I think if you say something both stupid and irritating to someone and you go to Oxford or Cambridge, they are quite likely to use that to make some kind of dig at you. It sounds silly, but I did it myself, and I can tell you now that I really have no opinion on Oxbridge students. They'll be like students anywhere - some are lovely, some are not. But seeing as you have to be extremely intelligent to get in, people might make comments about it if you say something extremely stupid.

ReputationRep:
    how so?
    She has posted some very derogatory threads about people taking gap years/not going to oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    You talk about Oxbridge students being hated.

Have you seen the hate levelled at (current and prospective) LSE students????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allisandro)
    She has posted some very derogatory threads about people taking gap years/not going to oxbridge.
    What's wrong with taking gap years? What's wrong with not going to oxbridge?

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.