Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by homoterror)
    It's so hard to get a job as an Oxbridge student without nepotism, as soon as they find out what uni you're at they decide straight off that they're not going to want to take you on. Not only are you going to be disappearing off to uni in October, if not Peru in August, but you're also from a different planet and they don't want to talk to you.
    i think its true for all decent unis

my friend goes to a uni with a slightly more modest rep and she was basically told she was too qualified to work in blockbuster !

(Original post by ramroff)
    well where are you applying to?
    Oxford (Lincoln), Durham, and Manchester. And as far as I know... that's it. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)
    I am going to say yes, you are talking out of your arse. I said this already, but you're not there, and you don't understand. Okay, let's make you understand.

For eight weeks, you have your dos and supervisors on your back constantly. You need to get your supervision work done on time, you need to do it right, you need to understand it. When it gets to the exam, if you don't get a 2i you get hauled into the senior tutor when you get back in October. He will demand to know why you've done so badly and whether he should keep you at Cambridge. For those eight weeks, you are in the Cambridge bubble. People are starting wars in the east? Who cares. Your dos is nearer and a lot more scary. You haven't slept in three days? Who cares. Your essay needs to be perfect or you'll have to do it again, which you haven't got time for. Then in the holidays, you get a "break". That means, you don't have to go to lectures. I got set *counts* ten tripos papers (3 hours each) over the easter vac, and I had a 10 day long geology trip on top of that, plus revision of 16 weeks work in four subjects. My friends at other unis complain when they get more than one essay a term. I get an essay a week, plus work from three other subjects.

But when we get home, since we've had no time for a job during term, we get a job or an internship. Cos we're at Cambridge, we get better internships. But, we also encounter people like you who assume we're "too smart" for jobs and then I get rejected for someone who dropped out of school before GCSEs.

I took a gap year. I took everything at school a year early to do it. I've had a year working in a **** job. I would have made around £20-£24 grand had I not been part time for some of it and quit in the summer. Not that it's really your business but I went to a state school and live in (I think) the 5th worst area for sending kids to further education in the UK. So believe me, I know what life's like outside Cambridge, and that's why I'm damn well proud of myself for getting there. I'm made up about it, and I'll bloody well shout it from the rooftops!
    Yeah, that's why I didn't apply this time...

I honestly don't envy you one bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2 + 2 = 5)
    Oxford (Lincoln), Durham, and Manchester. And as far as I know... that's it. :eek:
    what course and why only 3?

what course and why only 3?
    Law, and because I can't be arsed researching others, never mind spending three years there. If I get rejected from those, I'll just re-apply. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    what does LLB stand for?

ReputationRep:
    what does LLB stand for?

Legum baccalaureus (bachelor of laws).

ReputationRep:
    I don't turn on people who go there. But i do hate one person who is going to Oxford. She thinks she is Gods gift to the world and will have the shock of her life when she gets there cos she will be a small fish in a gigantic pond.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to add a further point which I don't believe has been mentioned yet (please correct me if I'm wrong). Speaking as a Cambridge student, I'd say that there's nothing more certain to remove any arrogance, be it intellectual or social, than attending either Oxford of Cambridge. If you go to Oxbridge, you soon become aware that you're nothing special, as you're surrounded by people who are just as clever as you, if not more so. You will also encounter people of far greater musical, sporting etc ability than yourself. There's no way you can live in such an academic and social hothouse and still hold a belief in your own superiority (unless of course you are one of the true geniuses, of whom, unlike what certain people on this board seem to think, there are not that many.) Nothing is more effective at taking people down a peg or two than Oxbridge.

Edit: the above poster has just expressed this point far more succintly than I.

ReputationRep:
    Tabs are scum!

(Original post by Fluffy)
    Tabs are scum!

Hear!

:p:

ReputationRep:
    There's definitely some inverse snobbery towards Oxbridge students in certain places. I REALLY hate it because at home it seems that I can't say I go to Cambridge without some sort of snide comment being made or the conversation ending there and then. If asked where I'm at university, my responses are: a) um... Cambridge, b) Sidney Sussex College, c) Leeds (or some other lie). I really can't stand people knowing I'm at Cambridge because I do feel it changes how I'm treated. My sister's friends are the worst: one of them spat at me when he heard where I studied. I've also been out to an APU club night after formal and a woman tried to punch me because she "didn't want to know where I went to university". I hadn't mentioned it to anyone, let alone her.

I don't like having to feel like that because I love Cambridge and I chose it because I loved the university and course, not because it was 'Oxbridge'. I worked really hard to make sure I got where I wanted to be (and I'll readily admit that I'm one of the people who has to work hard rather than rely on natural intelligence) but I don't feel I can be proud of that at home. My family and friends are much more proud of me being at Cambridge than I am. For me, it's just where I study. If I thought the history course at another university was more suited to me, I'd have gone there. I'm not a snob - I know I'm not the most intelligent person, I haven't got perfect manners and I'm certainly not the richest person, so I don't have anything to be snobby about. I went from being top of my class at school to one of the worst students in my year at university, and we do get picked on from people who think we're automatically snobs. If it weren't for the fact that I love the place, people and course I would leave now, and I'm sure many others feel the same way.

ReputationRep:
    because certain schools and colleges can make a fuss (and sometimes quite rightly so) about who can/can't/should/shouldn't apply to oxbridge, there's so much hype built up around it. they are two fantastic unis, but the fondness/bitterness probably starts from the very onset (or even before) the application process.

taking a step back, i'm sure that similar "prejudice" or general contempt is present towards people who go to university, regardless of whether it's cambridge or a nameless ex-poly, from few people who don't go to university. although every oxbridge student achieves their place on merit, i do feel it can be said that they're lucky to go, or to have gone, to their university. not in the sense of it being ordained by the gods to a random group of a chosen few, but the way in which it is a great situation to be in (in terms of academic facilities, very pretty towns etc). then again, that same feeling could be applied to someone at sussex, from someone at the dover institute of learning.

whether love or hate, it's got its place on people's scale of subjectivity, which is the only sort of judgement that there is when it comes to education, or even employment evaluation. or not. cf post time for explanation of any nonsense here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2 + 2 = 5)
    Wrong college

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awesome)
    no experienc eof real lives.
    How about you shut the **** up because you don't know what you are on about?

I moved 300 miles from my parents home in Cumbria to take a gap year job in Oxford. I don't get payed much more than the minimum wage and I have to pay for rent,council tax,gas,electricity,water,food etc. At the same time I'm trying to save money for October when I start my degree at Cambridge. Now I'm not telling you this because I think I've been hard done by. I'm telling you this because I want you to realise that not everybody who goes to Cambridge has everything handed to them on a plate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by susiemakemeblue)
    Yeah, that's why I didn't apply this time...

I honestly don't envy you one bit.
    Some of us do still have fun...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trigger)
    here this rach something or other has just insulted the girl in question fior no reason other then she is an oxbridge student
    Well jeez. Lets all cry for the poor oxbridge student who is going to benefit from discrimination when looking for a job (simply because they went to Oxbridge :rolleyes: )...:rolleyes:

she [lauren] can't be that arrogant she if half scouser after all
    Thats what makes her arogance all the more painful...

(Original post by lauren)
    I guess overall, I've got so fed up with being abused for being intelligent and being told I'm a snob (because I wasn't born in Liverpool I don't speak very scouse), that now if someone uses Cambridge or my accent or my grades against me, I get pissed off and WILL act better than them.
    akin to giving in to the terrorists...

<stopped reading by page 4. bored.>

ReputationRep:
    Ive never been insulted or prejudiced cos I go to Ox!

I have never found it to be a problem and I dont see why people would treat me any differently. It says nothing for the type of person I am and it doesnt necessarily say a great deal about intelligence either. Admittedly I dont really advertise the fact I go there but I think as long as you are polite and nice to everybody then people will treat you exactly the same.

That is my experience.

Even I have seen that some oxbridge people can be stuck up and think themselves the bees knees, this is what annoys people. If this is avoided then there are no problems.

At the end of the day your choice of uni hardly says much about who you are as a personality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F1 fanatic)
    Ive never been insulted or prejudiced cos I go to Ox!
    Heh, lucky you. I usually get some kind of smarmy comments. The worst time recently was when a friend of my boyfriend's friend started interrogating me in the pub about how hard I work and how often me and my friends go out, because god forbid, I'm some kind of sad workaholic as I go to Oxford :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    People hugely overestimate the amount of work that Oxbridge people do. Depending on the subject and the college, it can be much less than people think.. last year I had about 6 hours of contact time, and I did maybe ten hours of work on a bad week? I spent far more time slacking off, and I would have got by fine if personal problems hadn't meant I had to spend a lot of time of the second term at home.

I had loads of fun last year at uni- went out three times a week, spent lots of time with my boyfriend, had lie-ins most days.. I wrote a dating column for the newspaper, had a position in the JCR, spent loads of time with and making friends.. The life of an Oxford English student is very different to a Cambridge scientist, I reckon, but we both happen to be "Oxbridge students" and therefore we're the same to you lot, innit? :rolleyes:

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.