Turn on thread page Beta

prejudice against oxford and cambridge students watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xanthe)
    You talk about Oxbridge students being hated.

Have you seen the hate levelled at (current and prospective) LSE students????
    Really? LSE students are the victims of hate attacks too?

ReputationRep:
    Nothing.

But she did make a comment about "going to university with the year below" and then said something along the lines of "when you're older you'll understand".

Now this is ridiculous. I'm about 2 months younger than she is, and was of the opinion that once you get to university age, a year or two isn't going to make any difference. But there you go.

She was also ranting about the "dumb waitress" who wouldn't accept her university ID card in Wetherspoons (I'm not even sure this card had her DOB on - I could be wrong though) when she had her driving licence with her anyway, and could have just used that. It was like she was looking for a confrontation, and a chance to belittle the waitress, when actually, the waitress was just doing her job and didn't care whether this girl got served or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soonalvin)
    What's wrong with taking gap years? What's wrong with not going to oxbridge?
    exactly.

ReputationRep:
    Really? LSE students are the victims of hate attacks too?
    Hell, yeah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xanthe)
    You talk about Oxbridge students being hated.

Have you seen the hate levelled at (current and prospective) LSE students????
    There *does* seem to be illfeeling towards Oxbridge and LSE students.

But I think you are amazing :cool: :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by susiemakemeblue)
    Nothing.

But she did make a comment about "going to university with the year below" and then said something along the lines of "when you're older you'll understand".

Now this is ridiculous. I'm about 2 months younger than she is, and was of the opinion that once you get to university age, a year or two isn't going to make any difference. But there you go.

She was also ranting about the "dumb waitress" who wouldn't accept her university ID card in Wetherspoons (I'm not even sure this card had her DOB on - I could be wrong though) when she had her driving licence with her anyway, and could have just used that. It was like she was looking for a confrontation, and a chance to belittle the waitress, when actually, the waitress was just doing her job and didn't care whether this girl got served or not.

Looks like she was trying flaunt her cambridge status with the Uni ID. This kind of people are really detestable but I won't jump to conclusions cos maybe she isn't really like that. sometimes, it's a matter of perspective.

I agree that going to university at 20 or 21 is perfectly fine. I am going to uni at abt that age anw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ramroff)

Awww, thank you my lovely :love:

ReputationRep:

Only towards the ones that bring it on themselves. Really.

ReputationRep:
    Looks like she was trying flaunt her cambridge status with the Uni ID. This kind of people are really detestable but I won't jump to conclusions cos maybe she isn't really like that. sometimes, it's a matter of perspective.

I agree that going to university at 20 or 21 is perfectly fine. I am going to uni at abt that age anw.
    why? what have you been doing with your life between 18 and 20/21?

ReputationRep:
    why? what have you been doing with your life between 18 and 20/21?
    oh, i am 18 now. i'll be going to serve in the armed forces for 2 years.

ReputationRep:

I haven't seen that much of her, to be honest, but from what I have seen she appears to have a bit of an attitude problem. I ended up having quite an argument with her in a thread she made about learner drivers (and how they are such an inconvenience) and the ID thread irritated me because she said "dumb waitress", as though being a waitress automatically makes someone dumb. I've had lots of pub and restaurant jobs, and most of the waitresses and barmaids I've met have been students. Hardly dumb. There was also a thread in H&R about all these guys who keep trying to pull her, if I remember correctly.

It's just the way she comes across. Arrogant, spoilt and intolerant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by susiemakemeblue)
    I haven't seen that much of her, to be honest, but from what I have seen she appears to have a bit of an attitude problem. I ended up having quite an argument with her in a thread she made about learner drivers (and how they are such an inconvenience) and the ID thread irritated me because she said "dumb waitress", as though being a waitress automatically makes someone dumb. I've had lots of pub and restaurant jobs, and most of the waitresses and barmaids I've met have been students. Hardly dumb. There was also a thread in H&R about all these guys who keep trying to pull her, if I remember correctly.

It's just the way she comes across. Arrogant, spoilt and intolerant.
    she can't be that arrogant she if half scouser after all :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trigger)
    Im just wondering as a non O/C student why so many TSR members just turn on people becasue they go there. Is it jealousy?
    Yeah. Well probably. O/C have a bad rep as far as being 'superior' goes, but I've never met someone from O/C who think they're better than everyone else because they go there.

ReputationRep:
    she can't be that arrogant she if half scouser after all :eek:
    Don't you believe it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raven4723)
    Yeah. Well probably. O/C have a bad rep as far as being 'superior' goes, but I've never met someone from O/C who think they're better than everyone else because they go there.
    unfortunately, i have met plenty.

3 of my best friends from school are at cambridge, and my sister is too. Whilst they, and some of their friends, are extremely lovely, some of their friends really are not. They have made comments to me, and other friends, such as "you wouldn't understand, you're not at cambridge" (whilst talking about something completely unrelated to cambridge, i should add!) and also told my friends they were "unqualified" to talk about politics because they weren't at "cambers".

I try to convince myself these are the few, and approach everyone with an open mind as i have no intention of stereotyping. as i've said i've met many interesting and down to earth people there, particularly post grads, but these few incidents do tend to linger on mind! And unfortunately i've not encountered anything like this when visiting friends at other universities - reading, nottingham, sussex, royal holloway, to name a few. but i may have been lucky there and unlucky at cambridge!

ReputationRep:
    Back onto the orginal subject (and off the Lauren rants ) I haven't seen any here, except from other Oxbridge students. The only person who's made assumptions about me because I go to Oxford is Phil23, and he's got an offer for Oxford next year.

I don't see why it's such a big deal. Some people I've met (in person) immediately think it makes people snobbish, but most people are lovely about going there. I was half expecting a lot of people to turn their noses up, reverse snobbery style, when they find out about it, but it just hasn't been the case. Exactly the opposite most of the time, most people seem to think it's different and want to know what it's actually like there.

ReputationRep:
    I would take a gap year - I don't see anything wrong in that. Although I am afraid if I were to take a gap year, I would slack and forget many relevent things I have learnt, thus, making it harder for me at Uni. Also, I would have to explain to the Uni why I took a gap year.

ReputationRep:
    i dont hate oxford/cambridge students......... but i do hate students that think they're better than you just because they go to oxbridge

ReputationRep:
    Do what I did. Work for a pensions company in your gap year. You'll earn decent money and by the summer you'l be so friggin' bored you'll be gagging to get back into full-time education!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whizz Kid)
    I would take a gap year - I don't see anything wrong in that. Although I am afraid if I were to take a gap year, I would slack and forget many relevent things I have learnt, thus, making it harder for me at Uni. Also, I would have to explain to the Uni why I took a gap year.
    well. you could use some time during the gap year to read some uni level textbooks. they aren't that hard seriously, at least for my intended subject matter (Biology).

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.