Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by susiemakemeblue)
    That's why I didn't want to go there. Good luck to you!
    yup... id rather enjoy myself and have more flexibility

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ramroff)
    how posh do you act? btw nice blog
    Either pretty posh - snobbish style when I don't care what people think, and need a laugh, or obviously joking-completely overblown style when we're dressed up and need to lighten the mood. Like when you're about to taken an exam dressed in white tie, or having just left. There was also the infamous "off to the Union" spoken loudly by about 4 or 5 people in white tie, gowns and walking out of KFC.

It's all silly really.

And thanks Have been a bit bad updating them - no internet at home

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by se77en)
    its part of the deal.... while you're at oxford they won't let you get a job in case in interferes with studies.. you have to sign a contract or something saying you wont get a job... its bizarre
    Depends on the college. During term time, yes. But who can get a decent job while studying full time? There's *loads* of societies that give you great CV points and things to discuss in interviews, and you have a long summer for internships, so generally it's ok for work experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    Either pretty posh - snobbish style when I don't care what people think, and need a laugh, or obviously joking-completely overblown style when we're dressed up and need to lighten the mood. Like when you're about to taken an exam dressed in white tie, or having just left. There was also the infamous "off to the Union" spoken loudly by about 4 or 5 people in white tie, gowns and walking out of KFC.

It's all silly really.

KFC is MINGING.... :puke:

ReputationRep:
    I didn't choose 2. I just tried to do everything. I even added a job to that

*manages to hold back on AIESEC plug*

ReputationRep:
    KFC is MINGING.... :puke:
    Yes, but it's better than MacDonalds. They were the two options.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the college. During term time, yes. But who can get a decent job while studying full time? There's *loads* of societies that give you great CV points and things to discuss in interviews, and you have a long summer for internships, so generally it's ok for work experience.
    ok good an oxford student...... what is it REALLY LIKE? are there snobs? are there geeks? or is it just generally normal people?

ReputationRep:

It's all silly really.

:rofl: too bad you aren't just goin to oxbridge in 2006, you sound like a laugh you hang round with

ReputationRep:
    personally i feel all students (excluding the chav ones and the ones that dont put any effort into the work) sould all aim to get into Oxford or Cambs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allisandro)
    She has posted some very derogatory threads about people taking gap years/not going to oxbridge.
    Thats absolute rubbish. First of al, if you had read the thread about the thalidomide case, you would see what I was on about. I was simply making a comparison between this girl's attitude and her narrow- mindedness on the subject. And plus, I'm on a gap year myself- why the hell would I want to diss other people doing the same? I think you're talking rubbish, you've conjured that out of thin air. Plus, I have friends who go to Cambridge- why would I have something against everyone who goes to Cambridge? Don't be so stupid and check your facts before you start mouthing off :mad:

ReputationRep:
    ok good an oxford student...... what is it REALLY LIKE? are there snobs? are there geeks? or is it just generally normal people?
    hmm. i always felt oxonians were more snobbish than the tabs. but i guess it's abt the same everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't choose 2. I just tried to do everything. I even added a job to that

*manages to hold back on AIESEC plug*
    hmm, tell me about AIESEC?

*is completely curious*

ReputationRep:
    everyone's really normal. oh the best is definitely after a formal...heading off to cindy's...imagine the world's grottiest club and half of us are in suits/formal gear (really nice dresses). we've all had at least a bottle of wine and are totally trashed. and it's all about a van on the way home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rach1986)
    Thats absolute rubbish. First of al, if you had read the thread about the thalidomide case, you would see what I was on about. I was simply making a comparison between this girl's attitude and her narrow- mindedness on the subject. And plus, I'm on a gap year myself- why the hell would I want to diss other people doing the same? I think you're talking rubbish, you've conjured that out of thin air. Plus, I have friends who go to Cambridge- why would I have something against everyone who goes to Cambridge? Don't be so stupid and check your facts before you start mouthing off :mad:
    Not you, the other girl!

ReputationRep:
    Oh sorry! :blush:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rach1986)
    ah it's you. no, as soon as i said something controversial, you attacked me for being a tab

note: and it wasn't really controversial

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. Well probably. O/C have a bad rep as far as being 'superior' goes, but I've never met someone from O/C who think they're better than everyone else because they go there.
    thats absolute *******s. Not only are a LOT of people who go to Oxbridge total snobs with massively inflated egos and superiority complexes, but this ridiculously overdeveloped self-belief starts when people are accepted by UCAS. Ill admit that some Oxbridge students have done little to deserve this (1/2 my friends are going to O or C) but a LOT think that them going to Oxbridge is vindication of an intellectual arrogance they have, often due more to having worked extremely hard than any inherent 'intelligence'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ramroff)
    personally i feel all students (excluding the chav ones and the ones that dont put any effort into the work) sould all aim to get into Oxford or Cambs.
    I applied to Oxford the first time round. Not because I was especially desperate to go there, but because everyone told me I should. At my interview I realised it was just not the place for me. Everyone I met was really nice, but the whole atmosphere of the place just didn't appeal. I decided I'd rather live in nice modern halls, where I could cook for myself and be more independent (I HATED school dinners with a passion, and the food I ate in Oxford was just like them!) and I wanted to be in a bigger city, at a university where the terms are 10 weeks long so you get to spread the fun out over an extra 6 weeks each year.

I don't think a degree from Bristol is going to disadvantage me when it comes to applying for jobs.

Whisper to Will: Give me McDonalds over KFC any day!

ReputationRep:
    All 3. Probably about a quarter of students here study most of the time, neglecting social concerns. Probably another quarter are the snobbish types who have lots of money, go to expensive/excluive clubs and parties and the like, but even they aren't usually snobbish. One of my good friends is an Old Etonian who hacks the Union and goes to expensive champagne/black tie events all the time, but he's a nice bloke. Then half or so being more normal people. Even the normal people usually have something about them, some hobby they do or something pretty amazing they've done, but they're normal people you can have a good chat with.

Overall I love the social side more than anything. I went to a pretty normal state school, and haven't met anyone who's been snobbish because of it. I've met quite a few people who think public-school types paid their way in, and don't deserve to be here, but by and large most people don't judge. Actually, a lot more people here are open minded about others because there's such a diverse range of backgrounds, compared to my school. That's the thing I love, people talk to me for who I am. A few people get a reputation that leads to prejudice, but almost everyone is treated b ased on what they do, which is refreshing.

Normal is a strange word though. It's very hard to be normal and get in, because the admissions process is hard and not tailored towards letting normal people in - it's all about the interview, and so the people who get in are usually the people who can talk and have things to talk about. But almost everyone here's been nice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Herleif Arkadios)
    thats absolute *******s. Not only are a LOT of people who go to Oxbridge total snobs with massively inflated egos and superiority complexes, but this ridiculously overdeveloped self-belief starts when people are accepted by UCAS. Ill admit that some Oxbridge students have done little to deserve this (1/2 my friends are going to O or C) but a LOT think that them going to Oxbridge is vindication of an intellectual arrogance they have, often due more to having worked extremely hard than any inherent 'intelligence'
    here's a prime example of prejudice. no wonder i live in the cambridge forum. you really have to go to cam to understand.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.