The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

someone said before it's all about the interview.. do you have to know loads about the subject area you're applying for etc? Like for medicine do you have to know lots about what's going on in modern day medicine, and say stuff like you wanted to be a doctor since you were young :rolleyes:
Reply 121
se77en
i hope for their sakes ur not.. ur an annoying little bastard

didnt get into cambridge then, se77en? :rolleyes: i sense bitterness.
Reply 122
ramroff
that doesn't look luxurious. can we furnish it ourselves?

You are kidding me right? Compare that to other student accomodation around the country..
Reply 123
stratomaster
someone said before it's all about the interview.. do you have to know loads about the subject area you're applying for etc? Like for medicine do you have to know lots about what's going on in modern day medicine, and say stuff like you wanted to be a doctor since you were young :rolleyes:

that wouldn't be too difficult if you were *really* interested in your subject matter and had boundless energies and passion to go find out abt it.
Reply 124
se77en
as if!

My room for interviews was bigger than that. But then it had a king sized bed. Yes, not all rooms are great, but my room this year was one of our smaller ones and all my friends from other unis remarked that it was bigger than theirs. Yes, much less en suite, but much bigger rooms, generally. Certainly the smallest Oxbridge rooms I've seen is bigger than the largest Warwick one, even considering their en suite.

susiemakemeblue
The room I stayed in for my Oxford interview was about as big as a cupboard, had one very tiny window and you couldn't open the wardrobe doors without hitting the bed.

The room next door was about 4 times the size of mine, but apparently the rent was the same. Plus it was freezing cold and the food was disgusting, as were the showers!

Which college? Some colleges have nice food, most have simple self catering (mine doesn't though :frown:). And everyone pays the same rent at most colleges, regardless of their luck on the room ballot.

I have a double bed, mahogony bookcase, wardrobe and desk, fridge, and enough room to easily have 10 people watching a film, in my room next year. I was 34th/115 on our ballot, so while it's an above average room, there were quite a few better than it. I could have got a 2 room set (large living, small bedroom) where I was, but chose this. Actually, mines in a modern building too - there's a reason they go last, most people want old stone buildings. Never sure why, but I like mine :smile:

I do accept the point about the food, and the oldness, but if you want new buildings, you can apply to a modern college. In size, the rooms are generally bigger, though there may be universities with nicer ones - I haven't been to that many others.
Reply 125
ramroff

you are an example of the oxbridgian arrogance i am talking about. Not everyone is obsessed with oxbridge i'm afraid. Some people want to enjoy themselves at uni and not have enormous stress on their shoulders. Not everybody who could get into Oxbridge applies, i for one have equal or higher grades than people at my school who are going to oxbridge.
Ill admit i did worry about not applying to oxbridge originaly but ive since realised that having a stress free year of fun will benefit me greatly.
Ramroff, i sincerely hope your arrogance is unfounded and you are found out to be what you are in your first week at Cambridge, that is, a little boy who has worked hard on his mummies advice to get in but is in fact just another student.

You are NOT the best.

Please, get over it.

- gotta go drive, bye ppl
Reply 126
Herleif Arkadios
Not everybody who could get into Oxbridge applies, i for one have equal or higher grades than people at my school who are going to oxbridge.
And you feel you can complain about other's arrogance? Grades aren't everything. Or indeed much. 6As students get rejected each year, and AAB candidates let in, because they interview better, showed more passion and drive or seemed better candidates. SO the undertones of "i could have got in but choose not to" are silly. Maybe you would have, maybe you wouldn't, and yes, there are many people each year that choose not to apply and are easily good enough to be here. Howeveer the hypocracy of that level of arrogance while complaining that Ramroff would be quite funny if you weren't so insulting.

Some people are over the "I'm the best stage", and don't feel the need to state that they're better than others who got in. Even without the hypocracy, what you said was crass.
Reply 127
Herleif Arkadios
you are an example of the oxbridgian arrogance i am talking about. Not everyone is obsessed with oxbridge i'm afraid. Some people want to enjoy themselves at uni and not have enormous stress on their shoulders. Not everybody who could get into Oxbridge applies, i for one have equal or higher grades than people at my school who are going to oxbridge.
Ill admit i did worry about not applying to oxbridge originaly but ive since realised that having a stress free year of fun will benefit me greatly.
Ramroff, i sincerely hope your arrogance is unfounded and you are found out to be what you are in your first week at Cambridge, that is, a little boy who has worked hard on his mummies advice to get in but is in fact just another student.

You are NOT the best.

Please, get over it.

- gotta go drive, bye ppl

im sorry, was i addressing you? no..then, what, whats that?? be quiet :rolleyes:
Reply 128
ramroff

That's kinda arrogant and might explain some of the resentment towards Oxbridge students.
Reply 129
If he was an Oxbridge student, it might. But he isn't, so why would it reflect on those of us who are?
you shouldn't be so engrossed in education and spend your time arguing about oxbridge universities on a hot summers day like this.. it's not notmal!
Reply 131
Prad
That's kinda arrogant and might explain some of the resentment towards Oxbridge students.

but i am not an oxbridge student.
Reply 132
rach1986
I brought in Cambridge for a reason actually, if you look back you'll see why. And as for commanding respect, I didn't ask for any. You might command more respect if you didn't think you were so great. And as for comparing it to ' you're blonde, therefore you're thick' well, you're the one who states your hair colour under your username. 'Blonde Scouser'. To me that seems like you want people to make assumptions about you- oh i'm blonde, I look like a bimbo (you said that yourself), but i'm not your average bimbo, 'cos I'm well educated, yippee! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Woh. Chill out. You obviously have some problem with cantabs. I am great, what are you talking about? :rolleyes: What's wrong with being blonde? Now she's slagging me off for saying I'm a blonde scouser?? You need to stop taking life so seriously before you damage yourself.
It may be jealousy.

Oxbridge doesn't offer my major, so It doesn't matter to me. But sometimes I think "I could do Oxbridge. Why not me?"

It is silly. Studying a subject I hate at Oxbridge is hardly an accomplishment!

Plus, It's not as if I have applied there...
Reply 134
...Sprigged...
It may be jealousy.

Oxbridge doesn't offer my major, so It doesn't matter to me. But sometimes I think "I could do Oxbridge. Why not me?"

It is silly. Studying a subject I hate at Oxbridge is hardly an accomplishment!

Plus, It's not as if I have applied there...

but the truth is having an oxbridge degree helps greatly during employment. it does, ofcourse it is down to your personal skills for you to get the job but an oxbridge degree helps you get that interview in the first place!
Reply 135
Lauren
Woh. Chill out. You obviously have some problem with cantabs. I am great, what are you talking about? :rolleyes: What's wrong with being blonde? Now she's slagging me off for saying I'm a blonde scouser?? You need to stop taking life so seriously before you damage yourself.

Coming from you? You're the one who takes yourself so seriously! And we have already established the fact that I have NOTHING against those who study at Oxbridge. So get over it ( and get over yourself whilst you're at it ) :rolleyes:
Reply 136
Oxbridge is just a name which carries reputation though. I think most employers would be more impressed if you'd got a First in a respectable degree at most univeristy establishments.
Reply 137
Prad
Oxbridge is just a name which carries reputation though. I think most employers would be more impressed if you'd got a First in a respectable degree at most univeristy establishments.

Obviously, but they would be more impressed with a candidate with a first from Oxbridge, than say, NottinghamTrent
Reply 138
ramroff
but i am not an oxbridge student.

Fair enough. Looking back on my comment and the quote, it's true to say that anyone would be bitter towards any university if they wanted to go there and were rejected by them..

Apoligies :smile:
ramroff
but the truth is having an oxbridge degree helps greatly during employment. it does, ofcourse it is down to your personal skills for you to get the job but an oxbridge degree helps you get that interview in the first place!

Perhaps, but they don't have my major. Nothing even close. I am studying costume history and design.

I rather have a job that I love, rather than be miserable in a job I hate and be able to say "I went to Oxbridge"

Several of the people in my field haven't gone to Uni at all.

Latest

Trending

Trending