Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    :eek: thats pretty bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rach1986)
    Coming from you? You're the one who takes yourself so seriously! And we have already established the fact that I have NOTHING against those who study at Oxbridge. So get over it ( and get over yourself whilst you're at it ) :rolleyes:
    In future I suggest you don't automatically attack people based on the fact they're at Oxbridge. You'll get an unpleasant surprise.

But let's leave it there shall we? *Offers handshake*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    I haven't encountered it here on TSR, but I have in real life. It's not very nice
    As have I. The girls in my year who have received offers from Oxbridge have been *****ed about quite a lot, unsurprisingly mostly by those who applied but were rejected.

Personally, I have a lot of respect for those people who go to Oxbridge when it's obvious that they have a passion for their subject and it's clear that they are there to better themselves both academically and socially. But I have no time for people who go there just so that they can drop into every conversation "You do know that I study at Oxbridge, don't you?" and obviously care very little about their subject. Luckily, I've only ever met one of those horrid types. Everyone else I know who holds an offer from Oxbridge are lovely people, as are the people I know who currently study there.

Oh, and the food! I visited Cambridge earlier this year and ate in Newnham College. Maybe it was just me.. but I flippin' loved the food!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    When I was out in Cambridge someone I didn't even know, hadn't spoken to or in any way interfered with (who I assume was a resident of Cambridge) called me an "overprivileged college *****" with absolutely no basis whatsoever. I took it up with them and I told them it wasn't the case and had a bit of a go at them about their attitude

:mad:
    :hugs: my friend got punched in the face in cindy's because a random started talking to him and asked him what he was doing in cambridge. my friend replied that he was a student and the guy just started on him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spangletastic)
    "You do know that I study at Oxbridge, don't you?"
    that is a very very useful phrase to be able to shut some people up (but i swap it round a bit).

Oh, and the food! I visited Cambridge earlier this year and ate in Newnham College. Maybe it was just me.. but I flippin' loved the food!
    cambridge food is AWESOME! especially formals. a 3 course waiter served meal for less than a fiver. yes please!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)
    cambridge food is AWESOME! especially formals. a 3 course waiter served meal for less than a fiver. yes please!
    And so my plans to gatecrash a Cambridge formal and hoard the food begin... :p:

ReputationRep:
    oxford and cambridge dudes think there so cool they think there better than everyone else just coz they have a boat race.

They have the best students coz they wont accept people unless they have A's. how stupid is that. There so pointless.

cambridge and oxford dude have no experienc eof real lives. They all end up like posh who think they no it all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awesome)
    oxford and cambridge dudes think there so cool they think there better than everyone else just coz they have a boat race.

They have the best students coz they wont accept people unless they have A's. how stupid is that. There so pointless.

cambridge and oxford dude have no experienc eof real lives. They all end up like posh who think they no it all.
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

After that comment, I suggest you start a thread in the "Ask a Mod" forum to get your username changed

ReputationRep:
    Spangle, i could just get you a ticket...you gotta bring the cheap wine tho!!

Awesome is either joking, drunk or having a senior moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    And you feel you can complain about other's arrogance? Grades aren't everything. Or indeed much. 6As students get rejected each year, and AAB candidates let in, because they interview better, showed more passion and drive or seemed better candidates. SO the undertones of "i could have got in but choose not to" are silly. Maybe you would have, maybe you wouldn't, and yes, there are many people each year that choose not to apply and are easily good enough to be here. Howeveer the hypocracy of that level of arrogance while complaining that Ramroff would be quite funny if you weren't so insulting.

Some people are over the "I'm the best stage", and don't feel the need to state that they're better than others who got in. Even without the hypocracy, what you said was crass.
    Hmmm, you attack me but make no effort to disprove my view that Oxbridge students have a superioriry complex.
    You insinuate i am arrogant by my mentioning of my belief that i would enjoy spending my university years elsewhere.
    I did not at one point claim i would be accepted by oxbridge, i was simply talking about applying.
    I would never presume that grades are everything but because that is now the case people just gain other qualifications and experience to get in. Still im not really sure what your point is.

I do believe that the arrogance i percieve such Oxbridge students to have may be from the isolation from the real world and ego massage they recieve (+from being) there. Maybe i am talking utter nonsense (no doubt someone will quote that phrase and write 'yes') but it is my view that the prejudice against oxbridhge students IS justified. And anyway, if they're sharp enough to get in they should really be able to defend themselves and explain, if it is indeed the case, that they are not arrogant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Herleif Arkadios)
    I do believe that the arrogance i percieve such Oxbridge students to have may be from the isolation from the real world and ego massage they recieve (+from being) there. Maybe i am talking utter nonsense (no doubt someone will quote that phrase and write 'yes') but it is my view that the prejudice against oxbridhge students IS justified. And anyway, if they're sharp enough to get in they should really be able to defend themselves and explain, if it is indeed the case, that they are not arrogant.
    I am going to say yes, you are talking out of your arse. I said this already, but you're not there, and you don't understand. Okay, let's make you understand.

For eight weeks, you have your dos and supervisors on your back constantly. You need to get your supervision work done on time, you need to do it right, you need to understand it. When it gets to the exam, if you don't get a 2i you get hauled into the senior tutor when you get back in October. He will demand to know why you've done so badly and whether he should keep you at Cambridge. For those eight weeks, you are in the Cambridge bubble. People are starting wars in the east? Who cares. Your dos is nearer and a lot more scary. You haven't slept in three days? Who cares. Your essay needs to be perfect or you'll have to do it again, which you haven't got time for. Then in the holidays, you get a "break". That means, you don't have to go to lectures. I got set *counts* ten tripos papers (3 hours each) over the easter vac, and I had a 10 day long geology trip on top of that, plus revision of 16 weeks work in four subjects. My friends at other unis complain when they get more than one essay a term. I get an essay a week, plus work from three other subjects.

But when we get home, since we've had no time for a job during term, we get a job or an internship. Cos we're at Cambridge, we get better internships. But, we also encounter people like you who assume we're "too smart" for jobs and then I get rejected for someone who dropped out of school before GCSEs.

I took a gap year. I took everything at school a year early to do it. I've had a year working in a sh*t job. I would have made around £20-£24 grand had I not been part time for some of it and quit in the summer. Not that it's really your business but I went to a state school and live in (I think) the 5th worst area for sending kids to further education in the UK. So believe me, I know what life's like outside Cambridge, and that's why I'm damn well proud of myself for getting there. I'm made up about it, and I'll bloody well shout it from the rooftops!

ReputationRep:
    At first I was wary of this idea of Oxbridge prejudice, but after reading Blissy's story, I understand it.

Blissy, it is pure jealosy. They want what you have, and they are mad that they haven't accomplished it.

I have the same problems too sometimes, because I am mixed race- Black people will think I am a snob becasue of my light skin :mad:

Also, many thin people get remarks about their weight, and when they come up on online forums asking for advise, some overweight people get so evil. Puhleez. Many thin people do get remarks, and everyone deserves to be treated with respect.

We all experience prejudice on some level, even world leaders. And many of us also deal with jealousy too, I'm afraid...

Next time someone does that, say "Jealous?" in a teasing voice. That really miffs mean people.

Sorry you had to endure this.

ReputationRep:
    I am going to say yes, you are talking out of your arse. I said this already, but you're not there, and you don't understand. Okay, let's make you understand.

For eight weeks, you have your dos and supervisors on your back constantly. You need to get your supervision work done on time, you need to do it right, you need to understand it. When it gets to the exam, if you don't get a 2i you get hauled into the senior tutor when you get back in October. He will demand to know why you've done so badly and whether he should keep you at Cambridge. For those eight weeks, you are in the Cambridge bubble. People are starting wars in the east? Who cares. Your dos is nearer and a lot more scary. You haven't slept in three days? Who cares. Your essay needs to be perfect or you'll have to do it again, which you haven't got time for. Then in the holidays, you get a "break". That means, you don't have to go to lectures. I got set *counts* ten tripos papers (3 hours each) over the easter vac, and I had a 10 day long geology trip on top of that, plus revision of 16 weeks work in four subjects. My friends at other unis complain when they get more than one essay a term. I get an essay a week, plus work from three other subjects.

But when we get home, since we've had no time for a job during term, we get a job or an internship. Cos we're at Cambridge, we get better internships. But, we also encounter people like you who assume we're "too smart" for jobs and then I get rejected for someone who dropped out of school before GCSEs.

I took a gap year. I took everything at school a year early to do it. I've had a year working in a sh*t job. I would have made around £20-£24 grand had I not been part time for some of it and quit in the summer. Not that it's really your business but I went to a state school and live in (I think) the 5th worst area for sending kids to further education in the UK. So believe me, I know what life's like outside Cambridge, and that's why I'm damn well proud of myself for getting there. I'm made up about it, and I'll bloody well shout it from the rooftops!
    *clap*. well said, you have done a lot for yourself already

ReputationRep:

Lauren, i feel for you, i really do. Well done in all your achievements, in going to Cambridge despite all these hardships but im not sure how your post disproves the idea that Oxbridge students have an unbending intellectual arrogance. Maybe it does disprove my point that prejudice against Oxbridge candidates is justified. In fact, it does. So on that topic, ill shut up now. I would hate to elaborate too much further as - as you have well demonstrated - my understanding is certainly limited; however, i would ask you whether or not the average cambridge student thinks his/her self to be better per se, than that of a student from another university.

On TSR, imo, Oxbridge students actually benefit from positive discrimination. Wannabe academics back up the posts of people such as yourself and Musicboy/bloke and take your words as gospel. Just look at Ramroff. He sees the emulation of your good self as a path to his superiority and dominance over the rest of the plebs.

ReputationRep:
    Lauren, i feel for you, i really do. Well done in all your achievements, in going to Cambridge despite all these hardships but im not sure how your post disproves the idea that Oxbridge students have an unbending intellectual arrogance. Maybe it does disprove my point that prejudice against Oxbridge candidates is justified. In fact, it does. So on that topic, ill shut up now. I would hate to elaborate too much further as - as you have well demonstrated - my understanding is certainly limited; however, i would ask you whether or not the average cambridge student thinks his/her self to be better per se, than that of a student from another university.

On TSR, imo, Oxbridge students actually benefit from positive discrimination. Wannabe academics back up the posts of people such as yourself and Musicboy/bloke and take your words as gospel. Just look at Ramroff. He sees the emulation of your good self as a path to his superiority and dominance over the rest of the plebs.
    Hardships? What? That's just life! Most of the people I know at Cambridge are like that.

You want an example of people who aren't arrogant? Go on the Cambridge forum and look at the 2004 entrants' thread. Read the grades of some of the 1st year compscis and natscis and then see what the people are like. One of them didn't believe her friend when she was told she had a 1st, because she didn't think she did well enough to get one. Ramroff would act like he does regardless, and don't be patronising, it doesn't suit you.

ReputationRep:
    don't be patronising, it doesn't suit you.
    *takes advice*

*shys away from further controversy*

ReputationRep:

What on earth? What are you on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ramroff)
    What on earth? What are you on?
    speed

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: you probably make more sense while on it than off it

ReputationRep:
    speed
    :rofl:

I'm not having a go at you, you know. I'm just pissed off in general and you're making a good argument

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.