The Student Room Group

Chemistry in medicine

While I appreciate that most, if not all, chemistry in medicine and medicine courses will be applied and not theoretical, can somebody please give me some examples of where chemistry is applied (besides in the pharmacy/pharmacology side) in the medicine course and then secondly, in the career of a doctor?

I ask this because chemistry is the core subject in which every medschool in the uk asks for for a standard medicine course and in most cases overrides biology.
Reply 1
prince_of_paupers
I ask this because chemistry is the core subject in which every medschool in the uk asks for for a standard medicine course and in most cases overrides biology.

It is asked for by every medical school because every medical student will need to have a certain level of knowledge and understanding of chemistry that there is not enough time to reteach in order to get everyone up to speed.

Whereas with biology the few bits that are actually relevant to medicine can be taught in a relatively short space of time, and most of the concepts will have to be revisited anyway to go over them in more detail.

In terms of where chemistry comes into use the lines are a bit blurred, as chemistry tends to overlap a bit with biology in places anyway, but the main areas where you will definitely be using chemical concepts are biochemistry, pharmacology and areas of physiology.
Reply 2
Phalanges
It is asked for by every medical school because every medical student will need to have a certain level of knowledge and understanding of chemistry that there is not enough time to reteach in order to get everyone up to speed.

Whereas with biology the few bits that are actually relevant to medicine can be taught in a relatively short space of time, and most of the concepts will have to be revisited anyway to go over them in more detail.

In terms of where chemistry comes into use the lines are a bit blurred, as chemistry tends to overlap a bit with biology in places anyway, but the main areas where you will definitely be using chemical concepts are biochemistry, pharmacology and areas of physiology.

aparrently that's not true - the only reason they ask for Chemistry A level is becuase somebody did some work showing the best correlation between good medical students and those who have A level chemistry at grade A.. that's what a tutor once told me anyway..

but yes its mainly a broad understanding of chemistry which gives you confidence more than anything else
Reply 3
Sambo2
aparrently that's not true - the only reason they ask for Chemistry A level is becuase somebody did some work showing the best correlation between good medical students and those who have A level chemistry at grade A.. that's what a tutor once told me anyway..

but yes its mainly a broad understanding of chemistry which gives you confidence more than anything else

I'm sure if someone now conducted a study and found that those who studied maths at A Level got higher grades at medical school, no more universities than now would ask for maths as a standard requirement. :wink:
Reply 4
Phalanges
I'm sure if someone now conducted a study and found that those who studied maths at A Level got higher grades at medical school, no more universities than now would ask for maths as a standard requirement. :wink:

I suspect you are right but then you have to ask why biology isn't compulsary?
Reply 5
Sambo2
I suspect you are right but then you have to ask why biology isn't compulsary?

Me just a few posts up

??
Reply 6
Phalanges
??

sorry didnt read that.... - although if bio was compuslary everyone would have covered that stuff and have enough chemical knowledge from the biochem..
Whats going on with UEA then? They don't ask for Chemistry at all, but require A2 Bio :s-smilie:.
Reply 8
Begone, young applicant, begone!

Latest

Trending

Trending