Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I used to have my ears pierced, but I let them heal up. Can I get them re-pierced? And do I have to go to a piercing studio type place to get it done?

ReputationRep:
    I would, personally. A reputable tattoo parlour is the best place to go. They're much more clued up on hygiene than places such as department stores, which look more respectable but don't know anything about piercing!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You should be able to get them repierced, but it depends how long ago it was and how well they've healed. You should go to a piercing studio, as they know best and will use needles. Hairdressers/department stores/Claire's accessories etc will use guns, and the people using them have little experience so won't know if you can be redone/need a slightly difference placement etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    You should be able to get them repierced, but it depends how long ago it was and how well they've healed. You should go to a piercing studio, as they know best and will use needles. Hairdressers/department stores/Claire's accessories etc will use guns, and the people using them have little experience so won't know if you can be redone/need a slightly difference placement etc.
    Ok thanks. They've been healed up for about *thinks* 6 years now, and have healed really well, you can barely see where they were originally pierced, so hopefully it'll all be ok!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Chardonnay)
    Ok thanks. They've been healed up for about *thinks* 6 years now, and have healed really well, you can barely see where they were originally pierced, so hopefully it'll all be ok!
    It should be OK then. But make sure you tell the piercing studio that you had them done before so they can check.

ReputationRep:
    ^Re piercings, Juno knows all.

You need to tell them and show them where you got them done before as they might not be able to pierce thru the scar tissue and might have to pierce in a slightly different position (they did this to me). But don't worry, if you go to a proper piercer they'll position them fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)
    ^Re piercings, Juno knows all.

You need to tell them and show them where you got them done before as they might not be able to pierce thru the scar tissue and might have to pierce in a slightly different position (they did this to me). But don't worry, if you go to a proper piercer they'll position them fine.
    Ok thanks
    I might take a wander into town and get them done tomorrow, if I can be bothered!

ReputationRep:
    Why is everyone dissing depatment stores? I got my ears pierced in Allders twice and so did my sisters and it's all been fine.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Lil Lee Lee)
    Why is everyone dissing depatment stores? I got my ears pierced in Allders twice and so did my sisters and it's all been fine.
    They use piercing guns. Piercing guns are bad. They can't be cleaned, and them ram a practically blunt stud through your ear, which tears the skin and then takes longer to heal. Also, the force can cause you to go into body shock. This is particularly bad when you think that it's mostly young children who get their ears pierced with guns, and they can go into body shock easier. Guns also aren't as accurate for postioning the piercing, so it often is off centre, or one of the pair is higher than the other.

Also, the people using them usually have little training and won't know what to do if it goes wrong.

Plus getting pierced in a shop window is not the most hygenic of places. And they won't be as meticulous about using gloves, sterilising things etc.

Just because it was fine for you doesn't mean it will be for everyone else.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.