Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    oh, sorry. i thought you'd decided amongst yourselves where i got a transfer to!! ja, warwick. can't wait!!!! it's how students are meant to be: scruffy, eating nothing but breakfast cereals, sitting under trees reading books, trolley-stealing pissheads, friendly...and there are puddleducks all over campus

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizzy_lou)
    oh, sorry. i thought you'd decided amongst yourselves where i got a transfer to!! ja, warwick. can't wait!!!! it's how students are meant to be: scruffy, eating nothing but breakfast cereals, sitting under trees reading books, trolley-stealing pissheads, friendly...and there are puddleducks all over campus
    Thanx for your honest feedback....

I would like to ask however; would you say that LSE students really are 'boring' or just that you were at the wrong place at the wrong time... bad luck in other words?

How did you find the actual course you were doing e.g. the workload, exams and so on...?

Did you not try to make fun for yourself e.g. organising house-parties/nights out?

ReputationRep:
    I m going to be living at HH in 2005.
    Can some one tell me their experience of living in a twin ensuite accomodation.
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enigma101)
    I m going to be living at HH in 2005.
    Can some one tell me their experience of living in a twin ensuite accomodation.
    thanks
    :eek: I got twin ensuite... are you an undergrad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellomoto)
    Thanx for your honest feedback....

I would like to ask however; would you say that LSE students really are 'boring' or just that you were at the wrong place at the wrong time... bad luck in other words?

How did you find the actual course you were doing e.g. the workload, exams and so on...?

Did you not try to make fun for yourself e.g. organising house-parties/nights out?

hello. you're very welcome. i don't post negative things about the LSE out of some scary vendetta, i post them because all anyone anyone ever hears about any uni is how very marvellous it is. and every uni has its bad points, it's just maybe not so good that these are never publicised.

well...maybe i did have bad luck?! i dunno! hehe because, as i pointed out in some other thread, if everyone disliked the place that much, nobody'd apply - certainly not scrap for places. i lived in high holborn, which, as someone has pointed out, has a reputation for its parties (and also for being quite aloof - roseberry has a rep for being more relaxed...but then again 99% of reported reputations are made up on the spot... ). i only says it as i sees it. but i mean: i'm erm quite a big drinker, i go out every night when i'm feeling flush, i'm very sociable and always like company, i'm foolish and i put going out with friends above work...it's not as if i conform to the (pretty accurate, to be fair) image of the standard LSE student: studious, socially inept and bessie mates with the library.

ahhh as i have been careful to point out, you can't fault the LSE's academic credentials. some of the teaching staff are pretty spectacular. i dunno what you're gna study there, but i did A Level Sociology and i studied the work of a sociologist called catherine hakim...she's a teacher at the LSE. lol when i met her, it was like meeting a film star. i think she was a little bemused?! i did an outside module in Social Psychology. which was BRILLIANT. if you get the option, DO IT. it's fascinating. even at 9am on a monday morning. seriously! and the convenor (dr bradley franks) is a god in my eyes. lol i don't think he's a very good warden (the residence he was meant to be looking after nearly burned down lol) but he's a brilliant teacher. one of those you'd call "inspiring" but never out loud prof sarah franklin is also a god. i love her. and dr katrin flikshüh (she has a very foul mouth and she made me larf). and prof nikolas rose. and most of the postgrads who take your seminars are good too. i was expecting a load of bumbling nervous wrecks.

the workload was also VERY reasonable! you have a lecture in each module every week, and a seminar for each module every week. you're expected to have written up your lecture notes, to have had a think about them (some people went as far as to do further reading but, you know, each to their own!) so that you're up to standard for some discussions, maybe some group work, etc. the seminars were always quite fun, and they reminded me of A Level classes. all group work and using pritt sticks and showing your finished poster to the rest of the class at the end. and you are probably then set a bit of homework for the next seminar. the workload was FINE lol. then you have to do a formative essay for each module, every term. and then there's a set of exams in may. i was expecting to be DROWNING in work. NOT THE CASE!

lol of course i tried to make my own fun. i'm no simpleton! my friend and i tried to call meetings between my flat and hers and the other flats on our floor to sort out getting together and doing stuff, we tried organising just going out for a cheap 'n' cheerful meal, we tried staying IN to enjoy a cheaper 'n' cheerful meal...we bugged and bugged people to come out with us when we went out in the west end or up to camden town...people just weren't interested. what can ya do? happily, 5 close friends from school were at other london unis. so i spent a lot of time up at UCL and made friends really easily there, i had some great nights out in the east end (including bucking broncos...this was proper student stuff, i felt!) with medical students i'd got friendly with from Queen Mary's...i joined as many socs as i could afford and turned up to everything with straightened hair and a very large smile plastered over me chops...hehe i'm not stupid and i know (as some big nasty idiot 'KINDLY' pointed out to me in another LSE thread earlier today, as if this was news to me) you make your own fun. when i didn't like my flatmates, i looked for others. when a freshers foam party didn't sound too inviting, i went up to camden town and went to the electric ballroom i'm not in the habit of moaning about something and not trying to change it.

wow this was a huge post. hehe. owt else i might be able to tell ya? what you gna study?

ReputationRep:
    hello. you're very welcome. i don't post negative things about the LSE out of some scary vendetta, i post them because all anyone anyone ever hears about any uni is how very marvellous it is. and every uni has its bad points, it's just maybe not so good that these are never publicised.

well...maybe i did have bad luck?! i dunno! hehe because, as i pointed out in some other thread, if everyone disliked the place that much, nobody'd apply - certainly not scrap for places. i lived in high holborn, which, as someone has pointed out, has a reputation for its parties (and also for being quite aloof - roseberry has a rep for being more relaxed...but then again 99% of reported reputations are made up on the spot... ). i only says it as i sees it. but i mean: i'm erm quite a big drinker, i go out every night when i'm feeling flush, i'm very sociable and always like company, i'm foolish and i put going out with friends above work...it's not as if i conform to the (pretty accurate, to be fair) image of the standard LSE student: studious, socially inept and bessie mates with the library.

ahhh as i have been careful to point out, you can't fault the LSE's academic credentials. some of the teaching staff are pretty spectacular. i dunno what you're gna study there, but i did A Level Sociology and i studied the work of a sociologist called catherine hakim...she's a teacher at the LSE. lol when i met her, it was like meeting a film star. i think she was a little bemused?! i did an outside module in Social Psychology. which was BRILLIANT. if you get the option, DO IT. it's fascinating. even at 9am on a monday morning. seriously! and the convenor (dr bradley franks) is a god in my eyes. lol i don't think he's a very good warden (the residence he was meant to be looking after nearly burned down lol) but he's a brilliant teacher. one of those you'd call "inspiring" but never out loud prof sarah franklin is also a god. i love her. and dr katrin flikshüh (she has a very foul mouth and she made me larf). and prof nikolas rose. and most of the postgrads who take your seminars are good too. i was expecting a load of bumbling nervous wrecks.

the workload was also VERY reasonable! you have a lecture in each module every week, and a seminar for each module every week. you're expected to have written up your lecture notes, to have had a think about them (some people went as far as to do further reading but, you know, each to their own!) so that you're up to standard for some discussions, maybe some group work, etc. the seminars were always quite fun, and they reminded me of A Level classes. all group work and using pritt sticks and showing your finished poster to the rest of the class at the end. and you are probably then set a bit of homework for the next seminar. the workload was FINE lol. then you have to do a formative essay for each module, every term. and then there's a set of exams in may. i was expecting to be DROWNING in work. NOT THE CASE!

lol of course i tried to make my own fun. i'm no simpleton! my friend and i tried to call meetings between my flat and hers and the other flats on our floor to sort out getting together and doing stuff, we tried organising just going out for a cheap 'n' cheerful meal, we tried staying IN to enjoy a cheaper 'n' cheerful meal...we bugged and bugged people to come out with us when we went out in the west end or up to camden town...people just weren't interested. what can ya do? happily, 5 close friends from school were at other london unis. so i spent a lot of time up at UCL and made friends really easily there, i had some great nights out in the east end (including bucking broncos...this was proper student stuff, i felt!) with medical students i'd got friendly with from Queen Mary's...i joined as many socs as i could afford and turned up to everything with straightened hair and a very large smile plastered over me chops...hehe i'm not stupid and i know (as some big nasty idiot 'KINDLY' pointed out to me in another LSE thread earlier today, as if this was news to me) you make your own fun. when i didn't like my flatmates, i looked for others. when a freshers foam party didn't sound too inviting, i went up to camden town and went to the electric ballroom i'm not in the habit of moaning about something and not trying to change it.

wow this was a huge post. hehe. owt else i might be able to tell ya? what you gna study?
    Too much to read.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Researcher Lond)
    Too much to read.
    hast thou or word, or wit, or impudence, that can yet do thee office?

ReputationRep:
    Too much to read.
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    hast thou or word, or wit, or impudence, that can yet do thee office?
    Hey witch, we're not in Elizabethan England. Tis a pity for I would burn ye if twas the case.

ReputationRep:

Wow! Electric Ballroom? Very good taste!

I will be reading BSc Industrial Relations and Human Resource Management.

For my Modules, I have 'chosen' to read:

1) Social Anthropology; for definite.

2) Information Technology and Society; for definite.

3) I am still deciding; one of the following:

a) Statistical Methods for Social Research

b) Key Concepts in Sociology: An Introduction to Sociological Theory

c) Self, Others and Society: Perspectives on Social and Applied Psychology

d) Politics

e) Spanish - Intensive (for beginners)

How much can you tell me about the above? lol

How did you find exams, for example, were they incredibly hard and (stupid question) how hard is it to pass with a 1st Class Pass? How much revision does it take and so on?

I must admit, what you say does worry me a bit; sounds like most students are 100% work and no play... I've heard several people say this...

Again, thanx for your help!

ReputationRep:
    Wow! Electric Ballroom? Very good taste!

I will be reading BSc Industrial Relations and Human Resource Management.

For my Modules, I have 'chosen' to read:

1) Social Anthropology; for definite.

2) Information Technology and Society; for definite.

3) I am still deciding; one of the following:

a) Statistical Methods for Social Research

b) Key Concepts in Sociology: An Introduction to Sociological Theory

c) Self, Others and Society: Perspectives on Social and Applied Psychology

d) Politics

e) Spanish - Intensive (for beginners)

How much can you tell me about the above? lol

How did you find exams, for example, were they incredibly hard and (stupid question) how hard is it to pass with a 1st Class Pass? How much revision does it take and so on?

I must admit, what you say does worry me a bit; sounds like most students are 100% work and no play... I've heard several people say this...

Again, thanx for your help!
    You actually read her post? You sad, sad git.

ReputationRep:
    the oaf recognises shakespeare?! and there was me thinking i'd have to translate it into FTSE indexes or macroeconomic theory first. i stand corrected.

hence, horrible villain, or i'll spurn thine eyes like balls before me; i'll unhair thy head, thou shalt be whipp'd with wire, and stew'd'in brine, smarting in lingering pickle.

ReputationRep:
    You actually read her post? You sad, sad git.
    For your information, she replied to me so of course i read her post.

Secondly, I am not sad... I guaranty you that I have had ten times more fun in life than you have.. and have ten times the number of things to look forward to than you will ever have.

Lastly, do not be rude or I will report you; I was not even talking to you.

Ugly loser.

ReputationRep:
    the oaf recognises shakespeare?! and there was me thinking i'd have to translate it into FTSE indexes or macroeconomic theory first. i stand corrected.

hence, horrible villain, or i'll spurn thine eyes like balls before me; i'll unhair thy head, thou shalt be whipp'd with wire, and stew'd'in brine, smarting in lingering pickle.
    You think you're great because you can quote Wicca at me? I did not pass through A-levels and LSE admissions to bandy crooked words with a witless apostate. I shall go one step higher. Behold the WORD OF THE LORD:

So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth. - Revelation 3:16

Actually, judging by your faceparty profile, I bet you have experience in spitting things out of your mouth too.

ReputationRep:

Ugly loser.
    Ummm, on that basis, fancy a report yourself?

ReputationRep:
    For your information, she replied to me so of course i read her post.

Secondly, I am not sad... I guaranty you that I have had ten times more fun in life than you have.. and have ten times the number of things to look forward to than you will ever have.
    ******* 10 times a day does not mean you've led a more fulfilled life than me.

O the humanity!

ReputationRep:
    You think you're great because you can quote Wicca at me? I did not pass through A-levels and LSE admissions to bandy crooked words with a witless apostate. I shall go one step higher. Behold the WORD OF THE LORD:

So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth. - Revelation 3:16

Actually, judging by your faceparty profile, I bet you have experience in spitting things out of your mouth too.
    you have the most heavily-veiled compliments :confused:

ReputationRep:
    ******* 10 times a day does not mean you've led a more fulfilled life than me.

O the humanity!
    Right, anyway, shut up. I was not talking to you and do not wish to talk to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SB)
    Ummm, on that basis, fancy a report yourself?
    How is this any of your business? Are you bored or something?

Anyway, go ahead and report me. I have done nothing wrong. I have merely insulted someone who insists on always insulting me.

ReputationRep:
    Right, anyway, shut up. I was not talking to you and do not wish to talk to you.
    No Orlaith, I will not shut up. You shut up.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 14, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.