Turn on thread page Beta

Are you afraid of flying? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by giraffe24)
    getting into a car is more dangerous
    But isnt the irrationality of it what makes ita phobia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christian87)
    Well, I love to travel and that we have excellent technology that allow us to use airplanes and so forth. I must admit that I’m really afraid of flying, when I’m in the airport. I’m so convinced that I am going to die due to a take-off crash, etc., though I know it’s statistically very unlikely.
    It’s very weird because I’ve flown a lot, but don’t know why I can’t get used to the thought of sitting 10.000 m above ground?

Do you feel the same way once in a while, have any tips, etc. then please post!
    aircrafts are usually over-engineered (as most things like lifts, bridges, etc...), so it's 99.99'% safe. as long as you avoid Air France because their pilots insist on speaking their mother tongue (or so i heard on tv)

ReputationRep:
    no.

ReputationRep:
    yes a fighter jet would be awesome.. i thought i would be scared flying as first time i flew was last year to germany, and i had to grab hold of this random boy sitting next to me slightly embarrassing... but it was an amazing view and i loved every minute of it despite the fact lufthansa's food went a bit warm and melted eugh.. on a flight to mallorca last year i ended up falling asleep on a rather large guy, he possibly wasn't best pleased by this experience.

ReputationRep:
    are people scared that the laws of physics will change?

MB

ReputationRep:
    i worry about it i guess. flying in a big cylinder of fuel at high altitude

but it doesnt stop me getting on a plane, as i know its statistically very safe.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I'm petrified of flying...

...in economy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christian87)
    Well, I love to travel and that we have excellent technology that allow us to use airplanes and so forth. I must admit that I’m really afraid of flying, when I’m in the airport. I’m so convinced that I am going to die due to a take-off crash, etc., though I know it’s statistically very unlikely.
    It’s very weird because I’ve flown a lot, but don’t know why I can’t get used to the thought of sitting 10.000 m above ground?

Do you feel the same way once in a while, have any tips, etc. then please post!
    flying is fun!

ReputationRep:
    i'm not scared of flying, but i don't like it much - enclosed spaces, recycled air and all that. i see it just as a way to get to my latest destination!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not afraid of flying really, I just get a little anxious as I board, but then when it takes of and lands it just seems like a fun rollercoaster ride and the bit in the middle is just unbelievably boring. I'm flying 4 hours to Greece on Thursday morning at 6 in the morning so we have to leave home at 1AM. ZzZz.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicbloke)

MB
    Yes... the problem of induction terrifies me. :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    Yes... the problem of induction terrifies me. :bawling:
    Then you might as well not beelieve in any science.

MB

ReputationRep:
    im petrafide of them and im going to spain on saturday AHHHHHH

ReputationRep:
    I completely adore flying!! I'm going on a 7 hour flight 2moro and I'm really excited! I just imagine it as though its a roller coaster and the 'dangerous bit' is what makes the flight even more enjoyable! When I was little, I used to say I wanted to become a pilot because the take-off and landing were so fun!! Think about it, how likely is the plane to crash? Even if it does happen, it would be very quick, not a long, slow death! I love heights, I wanna do bungee-jumping and sky-diving and all sorts of adrenaline sports!

ReputationRep:
    terrified. I was fine on the way to France, but the hurricane on the way back was not fun...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicbloke)

MB
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Flying is safer than travelling in any road vehicle - people should remember that!

ReputationRep:
    As a few people have said, spouting statistics and informing a person that the laws of physics make it virtually impossible to be involved in an air disaster do not mean that a person is going to stop being afraid of flying!
    A phobia is an irrational fear that is pretty hard to control. absolutely petrified of flying, despite being aware that it is the safest mode of transport. There is something about being thousands of feet in the air without any control or the feeling of solid ground that really gets to me. I still force myself to fly because I love travelling but it makes me feel physically sick.
    I know it's highly unlikely that i'll ever die in a plane but this doesn't get rid of my phobia of flying.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not actually afraid of flying, i'm afraid of the suffering of flying (travel sickness, ears popping).

ReputationRep:
    When I travel by plane, I feel tense and sick for the entire journey, especially at take-off, when I am convinced that the plane is going to explode with all the sound it makes. I know it's absolutely ridiculous, but when I get on the plane I'm gripped by this irrational fear. It's compounded by all the blimmin' engine noises, which sound really unhealthy to me! My best advice is to listen to music or watch a (good) film; it's the only way I'm half-distracted from thinking we're about to plunge headlong into the sea. Or explode. Or crash into the earth.

Ahh I hate it!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.