Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Bethany*)
    No, in fact apparently some such as LSE prefer you not to have it :confused: Presumably so everyone starts on equal footing??
    kinda yea, not sure totally why, but its the same really for psychology, you can study it without prior qualifications in that subject... hmmm, wheres trev?

ReputationRep:
    No, in fact apparently some such as LSE prefer you not to have it :confused: Presumably so everyone starts on equal footing??
    But LSE sucks...

But it is true law is seen as an easier subject than others like history, chemistry etc.

ReputationRep:
    GCSE English is enough to put you off poetry and language for life unless you read outside the syllabus and realise how much more there is to it
    I hear ya! Really cheesed me off because I liked English, and I like English. I think English Language should just be about learning deep into the language and knowing how to use words for specific effects.

ReputationRep:
    apparently law's seen as a doss. OK I'll admit this: I think the papers are marked fairly leniently. However, law requires more work and revision than English, French and History imo - plus it's a fascinating subject and traditional as an extremely well respected degree, even if the A level has been more recently introduced

That's the only one I can really comment on though - I don't know much about Media, Business, Sociology and Pyschology as I've never studied them
    no way...more like smart ass subject...thats wehre the barristers and soliciters come from:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KAISER_MOLE)
    I hear ya! Really cheesed me off because I liked English, and I like English. I think English Language should just be about learning deep into the language and knowing how to use words for specific effects.
    Exactly. But the GCSE was about dissecting poems that were abysmal - well the ones our teachers chose to study were anyway (why not go straight into some decent stuff - it may be "harder" :rolleyes: but at least you get something out of it) and writing silly courseworks about media. There were some general statements you were encouraged to make about the simpler stuff such as enjambment, metaphor, etc - but nothing really in depth. Literature wasn't as bad, because it's harder to dumb it down (although I get the impression that with Eng Lang at GCSE level it's not so much that it's been dumbed down as been made into a totally different subject!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    But LSE sucks...

But it is true law is seen as an easier subject than others like history, chemistry etc.
    I don't like LSE. They have such a random list of what they consider to be doss subjects :confused:

Yep, though why still evades me

I was at an Open Day at Oxford, and the Law fellow spent his time basically validating the lives of the people round the table, ie "Is X a good A-level", to which he largely replied "sure". With the exception of, say, "mobile-home management", which he really did hate.

But then during the course of a discussion, he asked, "did anyone here take AS/GCSE Law, by the way?". I put up my hand for both (and was the only person that did).

"Never mind", he said. "We'll soon drum it out of you".

What that tells you about the subject, I'll leave to you to decide.

ReputationRep:
    I don't like LSE. They have such a random list of what they consider to be doss subjects :confused:

Yep, though why still evades me
    Law isn't very hard... but then neither was history I didn't think! If you know the facts and can string a half-decent argument together you'll get an A. I think probably 90% of students could do it if they really tried....

Shame about English GCSE. Mum was BEGGING me to take the A-level but I wasn't doing it :p:

ReputationRep:
    I was having a huge debate with a friend about art A Level. Last year 27 people got an A in my school, and 2 people got a B with no results lower than a B. Compared to other subjects that get lower results, Art seems easier but it could acctually be that the people doing art are actually very good at it..

ReputationRep:
    apparently law's seen as a doss. OK I'll admit this: I think the papers are marked fairly leniently. However, law requires more work and revision than English, French and History imo - plus it's a fascinating subject and traditional as an extremely well respected degree, even if the A level has been more recently introduced

That's the only one I can really comment on though - I don't know much about Media, Business, Sociology and Pyschology as I've never studied them
    I found A2 Psychology required more revision than Chemistry and Biology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saiyamana)
    Although it's a shame that most of the smartest people dont take up this subject, it provides loads of great skills which can be transferred to the workplace, and helps to create good social skills! Some people on TSR need to take psychology IMO to mention no names..........
    Thats not necessarily true, all the people that I know that are studying it at uni all have 4A's in 'reputable' subjects. I do think people see it as a bit of a doss subject though, but there is more material that you need to learn and understand and not just regurgitate like in chemistry and biology. I actually found psychology more challenging than both those subjects in that respect

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amie)
    I found A2 Psychology required more revision than Chemistry and Biology
    WOAH ...scary, I hadnt even seen that when I posted!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leannemann)
    I was having a huge debate with a friend about art A Level. Last year 27 people got an A in my school, and 2 people got a B with no results lower than a B. Compared to other subjects that get lower results, Art seems easier but it could acctually be that the people doing art are actually very good at it..
    I think thats because people know where they stand throughout the year. Your teacher can tell you whether or not it is up to the standard so you can either alter it or start again. Plus people who do art in my school always seem to be working at it sbecause its something they love so it's prolly easier to work for it. Just guessing though

DB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sokas)
    do mods have teh power to stop my post count - i wanst to reach 1900 baldy and they wont let me:mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil23)
    do mods have teh power to stop my post count - i wanst to reach 1900 baldy and they wont let me:mad:
    don't post in chat then:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sokas)
    Oh cool! Someone else who feels the same way I do! I thought I might just be a freak

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately I agree that some universities discriminate against certain subjects. Personally I really don't understand why just because a subject hasn't been around for that long, it's seen as easy, and I can't help thinking that the people who criticise such subjects without even having studied them are just trying to cover up their own insecurities by bragging about how much harder their subjects are.

I do A-level sociology, and although I do find it easier than my other subjects, I'm sure that's just because it's an essay subject and therefore not that different to everything else I study. People who aren't that good at essays would struggle with it because as well as remembering all the sociologists and theories and dates, which takes a lot of work in itself, you need to be able to write a succinct and analytical essay.

As for media studies, I can only speak for the GCSE, but I found it the hardest out of all my subjects and got one of my worst grades in it. I did better in many supposedly harder traditional subjects, and out of my class of about 20, there were no A*s and only 2 As, not to mention lots of Ds and below.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sokas)
    Thats not necessarily true, all the people that I know that are studying it at uni all have 4A's in 'reputable' subjects. I do think people see it as a bit of a doss subject though, but there is more material that you need to learn and understand and not just regurgitate like in chemistry and biology. I actually found psychology more challenging than both those subjects in that respect
    lol sorry, i was trying to refer to the few people who assume they are better than others, and show no empathy towards others..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    As for media studies, I can only speak for the GCSE, but I found it the hardest out of all my subjects and got one of my worst grades in it. I did better in many supposedly harder traditional subjects, and out of my class of about 20, there were no A*s and only 2 As, not to mention lots of Ds and below.
    That sounds similar to my GCSE Media class. There were only 9 of us by the end of the course, and although 4 of us were predicted A*'s, only one of us actually got one! I ended up with a B (which I still don't understand and wish I'd had it remarked :mad: ) and the other two girls got A's. Everyone else got C's or D's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2 + 2 = 5)
    I was at an Open Day at Oxford, and the Law fellow spent his time basically validating the lives of the people round the table, ie "Is X a good A-level", to which he largely replied "sure". With the exception of, say, "mobile-home management", which he really did hate.

But then during the course of a discussion, he asked, "did anyone here take AS/GCSE Law, by the way?". I put up my hand for both (and was the only person that did).

"Never mind", he said. "We'll soon drum it out of you".

What that tells you about the subject, I'll leave to you to decide.
    That Law is a load of old cods whollop at AS/GCSE? I knew that already.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.